Why become a member? ×

Stellartone Tonestyler in my Dingwall Super P...

bassmayhem

took out the passive circuit from my Super P today and installed a Stellartone Tonstyler.
I got hold of an old 16 click bass model; they are not made anymore. Just: WOW! This is how it should be...

- First position is straight to the output jack, bypassing the filter. Crisp and crunchy!
- Second position is like a regular tone pot fully open.
- All others have a steep roll-off, leaving much meat and potato all the way up to where it cuts. No wet blanket syndrome...
- The last position is all about the dub, but with a nice full and warm low mid, giving body to the tone.

Here is a nice YouTube clip demoing...

No going back! :):):) 

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I just ordered a Tonestyler 10 from Bass Direct and I’m gonna have it installed in my Dingwall Super P5! Looking forward to it :biggrin:

I hope you’ll share your findings with us as I’m quite taken with the idea of fitting one to my P type.

22 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I hope you’ll share your findings with us as I’m quite taken with the idea of fitting one to my P type.

Will do! But everything I’ve heard already indicates it may be hard to go back to a “normal” tone control once I’ve used the Tonestyler :ph34r:

• Like 1

There’s a real sweet spot where the mids and the pick up just come into their own in my experience with the tone styler and I think that’s the secret with them. You’re fine tuning the tone to where best suits your ear and the bass/pick up which could happen multiple times with the tone styler. 

Wow. Picked my Super P up from @thebassgallery earlier and have just gotten a chance to give her a proper spin at home. Just spent the past hour or so joyously noodling and I can say I’m very pleased with the Tonestyler! This bass always sounded great but this has just kicked it up a notch. I’ve got the “Bass Ten” version and it just gives me everything I could want tonally. I feel like I have an active bass but with 1 knob!

Love the fact they’ve included the “pickups straight to jack” setting, bypassing the circuit altogether for maximum treble content, and on the other end of the spectrum I really enjoy the “sub” setting at full counter-clockwise on the knob. Though for slightly more articulation and definition while still feeling very subby I prefer just one notch clockwise from the “sub” setting. Everything in between is really delightful and I found myself just now realising I could cop a reasonable upright sound with this thing in a way I couldn’t really do before. Must be that mid frequency hump. A fantastic bass just got fantastic-er.

Anyone wondering whether to take the plunge and go for a Tonestyler. Just do it. They aren’t cheap but I’d say they’re worth it.

• Like 2

Yup with my modded p bass notch 3 and 4 work really well with that pickup. There’s great sounds across the full range but it’s got a really nice mid thing happening. It’s great upgrade especially if found for a bargain price. 

• Like 1

There was one going for a decent price a while ago on Facebook which I think @Cuzzie snapped up while I was twiddling my thumbs. So I ended up paying full price for mine from Bass Direct. Still worth it IMO! When Martin at The Bass Gallery saw the price tag he was like “is that price for real?” xD:ph34r: