Why become a member? ×

Xmas songs

GrahamT

I suppose I've been a of jack many trades throughout much of my life and had a go at this that and the other just to see if I could do it. Bass playing being something I had a go at and kept up. I've always enjoyed music whether playing, listening, reading about - Rock, Pop, Blues, Jazz, some Folk. And I wondered how you'd go about composing a song/tune.

Now, a painting, a sketch, a print, any visual artwork I am at ease with when it comes to creating or criticising. But with music, and no proper tuition, I remain an enthusiastic amateur. Having actually got to the level of performing in a band is one of the best personal achievements in my life. If someone had said to me that from the age of 50+ you will take up bass playing, love it, join a band and perform and often get paid doing it I'd have said you have to be joking. Now to many BC'ers it may not seem such a big deal but to me it is and to those with a 'natural talent' or a musical brain I do envy you.

So I wondered and pondered for some time - how do you start to compose music or a song? Do you start with words or music? Do you have to know how to read music proper? And worst of all, the best phrases have been used up by Chuck Berry and Roy Orbison and Lennon and McCartney. So what's left to sing about? Every time I thought I'd have a go I'd end up with a tune/song in my head that I all ready knew.

I think Pete Seeger said 'all music is folk music'. It's for people and about people, our lives and our feelings. And what I got from those words was the idea to write a song about something personnel to me, keep it simple, it doesn't have to be anything grand. When Carl Perkins overheard a chance rebuke he wrote 'Blue Suede Shoes'.

A memory I cherish is buying my daughter her first pair of proper shoes. She was maybe 6 months old or so. I remember it as if yesterday, and the delight on her face. They were red Jumping Jacks. So I wrote a song called NEW SHOES, a simple 3 chord bash.

About this time there seemed to be a lot of bad news, in the papers, on TV, and then the terrible tragedy in Manchester occurred at the concert by Ariana Grande.

So I rewrote the song with new lyrics. It's called GOOD NEWS and answers the question of children - what would you like for Xmas?

My daughter showed the song to the music teacher at the junior school she works at and the choir sang it in their annual Xmas concert given at a local old folks home. A video was made but was lost when the school's computer went into meltdown. I'm hoping they use it again this year.

I'll post it in this thread. See what you think of my effort!

Edited by grandad
  • Like 3

On 09/11/2018 at 16:15, kusee pee said:

Wizzard!! And trickier to play than I thought.

Great tune and as you say, not quite as straightforward as you may think. Roy Wood tours around this time of year, and is still well worth seeing if you get chance. Great band with 4 saxes and yes they do ‘I wish ....’ as well as all the Move and Wizzard stuff.

Tidings Of Comfort and Joy/Good News

4/4 12 bar C F G

Good news (good news)

I want good news (good news)

Give me good news (good news)

Good news good news

I want a tangerine (a tangerine)

And a sixpenny bit (a sixpenny bit)

I want chocolate chip (chocolate chip)

And a shopping trip (a shopping trip)