Why become a member? ×

Bass suggestions?

xgsjx

I've been browsing the classifieds.  There's a few nice instruments available.

I've also been looking at Luthman basses.  They make some superbly shaped instruments.

Had a look to see if I could pick up a 2nd hand Ritter...  No chance!  xD

If you're wanting to gt away from the usual clones, then with your budget, definitely a call to one of our fantastic luthiers: Jon Shuker would be my choice every time, but I've owned a couple of very nice ACGs, too. Never seen a Dingwall fretless, though I have a fretted which is a fantastic instrument. You'll be in secondhand territory there, though.

Depends on what you want: if you're confident and definitive enough to know exactly what you want, talk to a luthier and you'll get something unique which is exactly what you want. If you want to pick off the peg, then there's a lot of options for your budget in a similar quality bracket, especially secondhand...you'll just need to pick around the clones...

I've never seen a Dingwall fretless, but according to the Dingwall chap on here a few years back, they do in deed do a lined fretless (I think an unlined variax fretless would be a bit of a tricky instrument to play).

Bass Direct have a nice ABZ5 in blue.  It's in my budget too.  I've got over a month to decide, so looking for as many options as possible (there might be something I've never seen before).

• 3 weeks later...

I can also vouch for the super quality of Jon Shuker's work, plus he is a great bloke. I had a Series 2 (fretted) custom made with Buckeye Burl top, East EQ etc and I don't think your budget would be a barrier. There would doubtless be some lead time though as Jon's reputation is growing quickly!