Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF350 oddity

Pea Turgh

So I’m at practice the other night (for the gig I’m just about to play), mucking about with my OC3 octaver.  When I played really hard, the head cut out completely, showing the warning light, then coming back in for the tail end of the note.

Anyone else experiences this lack of tolerance in a PF350 or any class D head?

Needless to say the octaver is off the cards this eve!

There's nothing odd going on here at all. In the good old days you probably would have just destroyed your speaker(s) with way too much deep bass at volume. You may also have had a knackered head too but modern heads have clever stuff in them nowadays to compensate for our incompetence and turn the power amp output off when it senses a dangerous load both for itself and any connected cabs. Octavers are good but be aware of the extra stress you are placing on the speakers and the extra power output from your amp at low frequencies you might not even hear.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2018 at 19:56, Pea Turgh said:

So I’m at practice the other night (for the gig I’m just about to play), mucking about with my OC3 octaver.  When I played really hard, the head cut out completely, showing the warning light, then coming back in for the tail end of the note.

Anyone else experiences this lack of tolerance in a PF350 or any class D head?

Needless to say the octaver is off the cards this eve!

I had one and it did it too. Made it almost completely useless so GAK (I think) took it back off me and I replaced it with a mark bass head.