Why become a member? ×

Best bass you've ever played that you did not own

Mastodon2

You’re not losing sleep then... that’s good!

The ‘66 Jazz is a really nice bass.

The neck is lovely on it and the bass sounds great - that said, I don’t think I’ve played a ‘66 dot and bound that I didn’t really like.

I think it suffers from what you say - it’s been around for a while and has become part of furniture.

Best bass I have tried, but never owned? Probably my friend’s Alembic Omega or a Wal I tried in a shop back in the 80s (anyone remember Allbang & Strumit?). To be honest, I don’t remember much about them as it was so long ago, although the hankering for a Wal has never left me.

If we're talking about feel and playability, A Mike Lull Jazz with a P/J setup in Bass Direct when I was just faffing about was very nice, and also a Bongo I played once in PMT. I wouldn't have bought either, for the looks. Yeah, I'm shallow :D

I really liked a BB2024, again in BD, but wouldn't have sprung the £2400 to buy it new.

Other than that, I've never played anything I didn't own and would really, really want.

A white/tort/rosewood 2008 USA Jazz Bass that i played in a shop in Bury St Edmunds in 2008. I was actually meant to be trying out a Squier Classic Vibes Jazz there, and the one i tried was decent enough.

Then i tried the USA jazz instead. It was incredible and just sang, and i couldn't put it down. It was best part of a grand even then if i remember correctly, and i just didn't have the money so i left empty handed.

Probably a bit of rose-tinted specs involved looking back, but it was just everything i wanted at that moment.

The single best bass I've ever played was a '68 jazz, full of mojo, and just had that Jazz bass tone. She was for sale in a local guitar shop around 1990 - 1992 and whilst I could have afforded her, there were rumours that the owner of the shop could be a little economical with the truth and that all that glitters might indeed not have been gold or even from 1968.

The second best bass was an Overwater J series five string, but that doesn't count on this thread as I bought it, and its been my main gigging bass now for the last ten years.