Why become a member? ×

Best bass you've ever played that you did not own

Mastodon2

I'm interested what everyone thinks the best bass they've ever played is, but specifically an instrument that they did not own, and why not. Perhaps it was a bass that belonged to a friend, maybe you got to play your musical hero's personal instrument or maybe you played something in a shop that you just couldn't put the money down on? 

For me, the best bass I've ever played that I didn't own was a Zon Sonus 4 in Bubinga that my brother owned. I remember the sound being so lively and even, it was almost like the bass had it's own compressor built in, but in a way that didn't limit any dynamics, it just made every note sound so even and clear. I think the materials in the neck may have played a part as I found his Status basses, or which he has owned a few over the years, to have similar qualities and it's a trait I've looked for in my own basses even though I haven't owned anything with a composite neck yet. Sadly he mustn't have thought much of the Zon as I seem to recall him only owning for about a month or so before it was swapped for something else.

I expect I will own a Zon or a Modulus at some point, or perhaps a Peavey B Quad if the right one came up for sale.

So over to you guys, what have you played that has amazed you and why don't you own it now?

Played a nice Sandberg at the LBGS last year while I was with Bluejay. Not in the market for a new bass as I have my Ray but was mighty impressed with it. The same for a Mansons JPJ bass. Both out of my price range TBH. 

Best one for me was when I went to one of the London guitar shows, 2007 I think.

MarkBass were relatively new I think or at least new to me, and I stumbled onto their stall. I was interested and they pushed me to go and plug in and I was given the demonstrators GB Spitfire 4 String. 

I played a bit and then just stopped because I could not get over how incredible the neck was on it and how beautifully it played and felt. That has been the benchmark for me quality and neck wise ever since and it has seen off a number very high end American boutique basses that paled in comparison.

No chance of owning that one but I came close a few years ago to another spitfire which I nearly bought but it had preamp issues (it was secondhand).

An honourable mention should also go to a white Nordy VJ5 I played at Bass Direct years ago. I tried so many basses and that one stood out. I was with my now wife at the time and when we left with the gig bag I wanted she looked a bit quiet. I asked what was wrong and she said “I thought we were going to buy it”. I said I didn’t have anywhere near the money but she said “we could have sorted something out, but the moment has gone now” 😢

A 1990s? MIA Fender P in craddock's House of Music in Nashville, a couple of years ago, with a very fair price tag of over $3,000, which was three times my budget. I've no GAS for a P, doesn't suit the music I play, but this one somehow had a richness of tone and subtlety of intonation totally beyond what I expected. No regrets, and taught me to keep my ears open and not go by stereotypes.

My cherished 2002 Jazz Aerodyne bit me in the leg on the same visit to craddock's and is in arm's reach as I type, wouldn't trade them for any money, but I do respect that the P was - quite apart from age - the objectively "better" bass.

Edited by josie
"craddock" is the filter's version of F a n n y ' s

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Probably Kiwi's Pentabuzz. Everything about it is perfect.

Again carrying on a theme of having superb basses, my brother now owns a Pedulla Pentabuzz and I do love it. I've only had five minutes play on it but it is superb. It confirmed to me that my next fretless must be at least a five string and I won't bother buying something without a coated fretboard, or a synthetic board.

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Don't mean to derail this, but the best bass I ever played that I didn't own ... I immediately bought it!

😁 Half a ditto. It was a Roscoe LG Custom 5 at Bassdirect which I dithered about due to price. Then they got a Dingwall Z3 in which was even more, I compared the two and went home with the Z3. 

I played a Lefay Herr Schwarz 5-string once that blew me away. So beautifully made, well thought-out, and barely any standard parts. Nearly everything was made specifically for or by Lefay. Super comfortable to carry and play, and a great variety of awesome and useful tones via a rotary switch. But I couldn't afford it! 

herrschwarz_black_big.png

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

The Gallery had a 1964 Precision about 5-6 years ago which was one of the nicest basses I’ve ever played.

The neck was nicely played in and seemed a little narrower than early 60s Ps normally feel, and the sound was gorgeous. It was strung with flats (not sure which brand) which I believe had been on there for many years.

It was light in weight, worn but not battered and the tone pot still gave you the full range - in short it was stunning.

It was expensive (even then) at £4k, but whoever bought it would have had a stunning bass.

Around the same time they had a fiesta red matching headstock 62 jazz bass which just played itself. I do still slightly regret not paying over the odds for a refin as it was just so good.....

I’ve convinced myself I remember that bass also!

If you’d gone for it at the time and still had it, the way prices have gone in the past year for vintage instruments, you would probably be sitting on a profit now (not that they’re there for that reason, IMO).

I’m aware that’s probably not going to make you feel any better, btw!

They’ve had a ‘66 dot and bound Jazz in there now on a commission sale for a good few years that’s been up at the same price all along. It was over the market rate when it was first put on the wall but now I reckon it’d be seen as a bargain, for want of a better word, as values have rocketed.

If it’s any consolation I wished I gone for the ‘64 P-bass at the time. First world problems, eh... 

The first ever Rick I played was a 4003 in Walnut. It was perfectly set up and strung with Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. Sounded incredible and played even better. I was so very tempted to finance the £1450 price tag but had to take a phone call so put it back on the stand in PMT and left it.

Went back the following week and it had gone. No Rick or any bass for that matter has ever played better or felt better to me since that one. Oh how I wish i would've just pulled the trigger that day.

4 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

I’ve convinced myself I remember that bass also!

If you’d gone for it at the time and still had it, the way prices have gone in the past year for vintage instruments, you would probably be sitting on a profit now (not that they’re there for that reason, IMO).

I’m aware that’s probably not going to make you feel any better, btw!

They’ve had a ‘66 dot and bound Jazz in there now on a commission sale for a good few years that’s been up at the same price all along. It was over the market rate when it was first put on the wall but now I reckon it’d be seen as a bargain, for want of a better word, as values have rocketed.

If it’s any consolation I wished I gone for the ‘64 P-bass at the time. First world problems, eh... 

I don't feel too bad about it. I'm fortunate enough to have a few pre cbs jazz basses.😀

The 66 you mention does look a good buy. It looks to be in really good order - funny how the buying public ignores for sale nstruments after have been around for a while - maybe assuming there must be something wrong with it.