Why become a member? ×

Ibanez 5-string neck - Spector 5-string neck

anzoid

I'm on the verge of buying an Ibanez 5-string, had one to try out for a few days a couple of weeks ago and the neck fits... I found I really got on nicely with the 16.5mm string spacing at the bridge, 45mm nut, and slim neck profile. 

But... I'm wondering... how do Spector 5-string necks compare to Ibanez ones? I believe the Legend series (and Rebop?) have 16.5mm spacing at the bridge too, not sure what the nut is, but is the neck similar in profile to an Ibanez? There's no way I'm going to be able to try out a Spector anytime in the near future.

Any thoughts welcome on quality comparisons between, say one of the new Ibanez SR875s (or the SRMS805 fan fret) and either a Legend 5 Classic (or Custom) or Rebop 5.

Thanks!

Without having played the specific models in question and purely going off general experience, Ibanez tend to be slim, both narrow across the board and not shallow from the fretboard to the back of the neck. I had a Spector Euro 5LX and it was quite substantial, wider and deeper than Ibanez but quite rounded and very comfortable in the hand.

The Ibanez BTB models are quite wide and flat with a pronounced D profile, a bit different to the other stuff like the Ibanez SR line. In general I try not to get too hung up on neck profile, but width or string spacing. I go for basses based on spec in terms of what kind of sounds it will give me, the size and shape of the neck is a secondary concern.

• Like 1

I've had a couple of Ibanez SR series, and the skinny width necks are quite different to a lot of basses - and the Spector is pretty different. From memory trying out a Spector was like a baseball bat in comparison. Not a good or a bad thing, just different. Beautiful basses but if you don't get on with the neck profile not a lot of point. If you can't find a Spector to try, an old school Precision is probably not far off? (Someone else correct me if I'm wrong). Spector fans always rave about how comfortable the neck is so if it works for you, it really works.

Thank you both for the comments. After much experimenting with 5-strings (expensive hobby...) the Ibanez I tried is the only one that works due to a very weird shoulder problem I have.

Much as I like the look of the Spectors, if the neck is chunkier than the Ibanez (even though nut and string spacing seem to be about the same) then it won't work out. So, looks like it'll be an Ibanez - l'll survive :D

I am a massive fan of Ibanez basses, especially their necks. When I shifted away from Ibanez to Warmoth (an expensive move based solely on a desire for a more vintage-looking instrument) I chose the Warmoth specs to be as close to Ibanez as possible...45mm at the nut, 17mm spacing etc. 

Whilst my 1990s SR1205 and SR1206 basses are mostly gathering dust, I feel nothing but joy when I play them. The SR1206 might leave me one day, but the SR1205 will likely stay with me until the grave! 

Still looking like an Ibanez (and JimBobTTD, your comment pushes me even more in that direction :D), but Schecter basses have just come onto the radar and they look as though they have similarly slim necks... and look like they're a lot of bass for the money. Particularly drawn to the Stiletto Stage 5 which is neck-thru with MM style humbuckers. Any thoughts?