Why become a member? ×

PB-50 modifications

BrunoBass

I’m not really sure if doing a few simple modifications to a Harley Benton PB-50 really counts as a build, more a bit of painting and fettling. But anyway, I wanted to get this finished before I move onto the next project, so here’s a few pics about what I’ve done to my two week old bass. 

D975D6BB-E8BE-4948-BD76-A4FB10F37FE2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Discovered a great big hole, and the exposed edge of the photo flame paper.

EF679479-1528-439E-B6D3-B483583A9E8F.jpeg

1FA712BD-0752-40D3-9894-475B2E0ADA50.jpeg

I made a video about that too...

...and today I lacquered the neck with amber tint nitrocellulose, sprayed the scratchplate white, and ordered the headstock decal. 

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That’s a shame about the hole and photoflame stopping under the scratchplate as I was interested in doing a Sting style bass but I’ll have to go down a different route

Can’t wait to see yours finished! Is the logo going to be another Bruno bass?........:D

6 hours ago, Jimothey said:

That’s a shame about the hole and photoflame stopping under the scratchplate as I was interested in doing a Sting style bass but I’ll have to go down a different route

Can’t wait to see yours finished! Is the logo going to be another Bruno bass?........:D

I think I’ll call this one Dulcie, named for my little daughter. Bruno is my son so it’s only fair 😉...

Yeah it’s a bummer about the hole and the other stuff. @kodiakblair is a bit of a PB-50 expert, he thinks they’ve changed factories and are cutting corners on QC to save money.

Morning @BrunoBass

Good to see you making progress :) Stripping the finish off mine's was a mistake ,awfy glad you never took that road xD

Grabbed a couple of bridge ashtrays out the drawer this morning. For the 4 screw bridge you need the large cover (133mm wide),this fella covers it no problem.

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Large-Bass-Bridge-Cover-p/bc1.htm 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Morning @BrunoBass

Good to see you making progress :) Stripping the finish off mine's was a mistake ,awfy glad you never took that road xD

Grabbed a couple of bridge ashtrays out the drawer this morning. For the 4 screw bridge you need the large cover (133mm wide),this fella covers it no problem.

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Large-Bass-Bridge-Cover-p/bc1.htm 

Morning! Yes we’re getting there. The newly painted scratchplate is looking great! 

Thanks for the steer on the ashtray - much appreciated 👍🏻

D5D80568-FD82-47B7-9729-E58685393FE4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That’s looking really nice I much prefer the White instead of the Black!!

That cool naming after your daughter this time, Thats the reason why all mine say ‘Brash’ on the headstock because my little boy is called Bradley and my daughter is called Ashden :D

(But I make my own logos with a laser printer and sellotape)

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimothey said:

That’s looking really nice I much prefer the White instead of the Black!!

That cool naming after your daughter this time, Thats the reason why all mine say ‘Brash’ on the headstock because my little boy is called Bradley and my daughter is called Ashden :D

Love it 👍🏻

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

OK - that's caught my eye!  Can you tell us more?

There’s a few videos on YouTube about it but it’s really simple:

1. You print off your logo on normal paper using a laser printer (won’t work on inkjet)

2 Cover your printed logo with sellotape then using the handle of the scissors rub the sellotape for about 1 min making sure all the sellotape is firmly stuck down and there are no air bubbles

3. Cut out the logo leaving a few mm’s round the edge 

4. Put the logo in cold water for about 5 mins if it curls straighten it out again 

5.Carefully rub the paper off the back of the sellotape and you will leave just the logo on the sellotape (if it feels slightly gritty then put it back in the water and carefully rub it again till you don’t feel any grit)

6. Wet the sellotape again 

7. Place on your headstock or wherever you want the logo to go and blot with some kitchen towel remove any air bubbles and excess water then leave to dry

8. Once dry you can then apply your finish and flatten the same way you would a water slide decal 

See it’s simple and a very cheap way to do it :D

In the style of blue peter here’s one I did earlier......

8702E0AF-BB66-4982-8DAB-9CFD6D8E8866.thumb.jpeg.028a350d582f2f93109cb1b44ab8c27b.jpeg

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just a mini-hijack continuing on @Jimothey 's excellent explanation of the sellotape trick. 

I'm doing a partscaster for @Harryburke14 and he wanted something quirky on the headstock to do either with his name or associated the Peaky Blinders.  I thought - ideal opportunity to try out the technique.  Still got to varnish on top but even without - FANTASTIC!  So, so, so much better than my previous method.

2fKcyPBl.jpg?1 

Many thanks for sharing the tip @Jimothey and back to your excellent mod job @BrunoBass :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Just a mini-hijack continuing on @Jimothey 's excellent explanation of the sellotape trick. 

I'm doing a partscaster for @Harryburke14 and he wanted something quirky on the headstock to do either with his name or associated the Peaky Blinders.  I thought - ideal opportunity to try out the technique.  Still got to varnish on top but even without - FANTASTIC!  So, so, so much better than my previous method.

2fKcyPBl.jpg?1 

Many thanks for sharing the tip @Jimothey and back to your excellent mod job @BrunoBass :D

No worries @Andyjr1515 glad I can share my wisdom :biggrin:

• Like 1

The decal arrived today, so I applied that this afternoon. Rothko & Frost have again supplied a high quality product at a fair price and with good service. I know others have had less successful experiences with them but I have no complaints, perhaps I’ve been lucky or they’ve been unlucky? 

Anyway, it looks great. I chose silver for the main part of the logo as I knew I’d be putting a mist coat of amber tint on it which would golden it up a bit. I signed and numbered the back of the headstock again too, as with the Bruno bass I recently completed. My little daughter Dulcie for whom the bass is named didn’t sign it, like her big brother did on his namesake instrument; she can’t hold a pen yet!

I don’t think I’m going to bother clear coating or polishing, the nitro has buried the decal and hidden the edges well and looks nice and vintage, so I think I’ll just leave it as it is and see how it wears / ages naturally. In retrospect it’s just slightly darker than I’d have preferred; next time I’ll do fewer coats of tint before adding the decal, or use clear nitro for the final coats. 

I’ll let it rest overnight, give it a very light sanding tomorrow, reassemble the bass and hopefully give it a go at band rehearsals tomorrow.

60D6A135-1092-4EE2-807F-330C6D93E752.jpeg

E308C872-661F-4A37-A08A-4E4B6397AA30.jpeg

323C5647-DEC9-4293-B626-470EE9714A06.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Leave it to rest overnight he says... well, the nitro feels solid so let’s just sand it lightly, yeah all good. Maybe I’ll just put the tuners on, it’s getting late but well you know... Oh I may as well do the string tree too... oh sod it lets just assemble the thing!!

I’ll put a better photo up tomorrow in natural light, but oh my god it’s gorgeous! I’m super delighted with it and can’t stop looking at it. I did wonder at the outset if I was going to bugger up a perfectly good Harley Benton bass guitar with my lack of experience in performing the modifications I envisaged, but I’m thrilled and so glad I did it. Like my Bruno Bass build I've learnt heaps and loved every minute of the process. Bring on the next project! 

C978F8E5-D130-473C-BEC7-011B17EEDCD8.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrunoBass said:

Leave it to rest overnight he says... well, the nitro feels solid so let’s just sand it lightly, yeah all good. Maybe I’ll just put the tuners on, it’s getting late but well you know... Oh I may as well do the string tree too... oh sod it lets just assemble the thing!!

I’ll put a better photo up tomorrow in natural light, but oh my god it’s gorgeous! I’m super delighted with it and can’t stop looking at it. I did wonder at the outset if I was going to bugger up a perfectly good Harley Benton bass guitar with my lack of experience in performing the modifications I envisaged, but I’m thrilled and so glad I did it. Like my Bruno Bass build I've learnt heaps and loved every minute of the process. Bring on the next project! 

Great job that looks lovely!!:hi:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Cracking job @BrunoBass  :)

• Thanks 1