Why become a member? ×

PB-50 modifications

BrunoBass

On 5/20/2018 at 18:53, Jimothey said:

There’s a few videos on YouTube about it but it’s really simple:

1. You print off your logo on normal paper using a laser printer (won’t work on inkjet)

2 Cover your printed logo with sellotape then using the handle of the scissors rub the sellotape for about 1 min making sure all the sellotape is firmly stuck down and there are no air bubbles

3. Cut out the logo leaving a few mm’s round the edge 

4. Put the logo in cold water for about 5 mins if it curls straighten it out again 

5.Carefully rub the paper off the back of the sellotape and you will leave just the logo on the sellotape (if it feels slightly gritty then put it back in the water and carefully rub it again till you don’t feel any grit)

6. Wet the sellotape again 

7. Place on your headstock or wherever you want the logo to go and blot with some kitchen towel remove any air bubbles and excess water then leave to dry

8. Once dry you can then apply your finish and flatten the same way you would a water slide decal 

See it’s simple and a very cheap way to do it :D

In the style of blue peter here’s one I did earlier......

8702E0AF-BB66-4982-8DAB-9CFD6D8E8866.thumb.jpeg.028a350d582f2f93109cb1b44ab8c27b.jpeg

You can do this using white PVA glue too. Basically replace the "sticky back plastic" with PVA by painting three or four coats of watered down PVA and follow Jimothey's process. The PVA dries clear and can be laid on top of another coat of PVA and left to dry. Paint another coat on top to seal. Old trick for decorating tobacco tins.

• Like 1

I took the new bass to rehearsal last night to see how it sounded through my gig rig. It sounds amazing at home; I spent a long time thumping around with the tone rolled off when I should’ve been working, but at gig volume with the tone up and the band in full flow it didn’t really cut it. I know it’s not really a ‘rock’ bass but despite a bit of eq’ing I couldn’t really get it to poke through the mix like my Jazz does. I’d really like to gig it (despite it’s not inconsiderable weight - 9.5lb) so I’m thinking of maybe putting something like a Quarter Pounder in. I’m not sure if this would help. I’ve got to get the terrible wiring sorted too...

Here she is with her big brother - aah.

073DBBC2-7F65-493F-875C-120670CF6BAC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I swapped a bass at the sw bash for @yorks5stringer‘s blue one - a nice thumpy tone, but didn’t really cut it at full tilt til I changed to a set of DR (in neon green, also got at the bash!). The drummer thought it sounded like a Stingray then!  Whilst I wouldn’t go that far, the DRs certainly changed the nature of the beast!

6CF0C794-0889-47BE-8183-239A16C142F5.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I took the new bass to rehearsal last night to see how it sounded through my gig rig. It sounds amazing at home; I spent a long time thumping around with the tone rolled off when I should’ve been working, but at gig volume with the tone up and the band in full flow it didn’t really cut it. I know it’s not really a ‘rock’ bass but despite a bit of eq’ing I couldn’t really get it to poke through the mix like my Jazz does. I’d really like to gig it (despite it’s not inconsiderable weight - 9.5lb) so I’m thinking of maybe putting something like a Quarter Pounder in. I’m not sure if this would help. I’ve got to get the terrible wiring sorted too...

Here she is with her big brother - aah.

073DBBC2-7F65-493F-875C-120670CF6BAC.jpeg

Beautiful

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Updated on this, having lived with the bass for a few weeks: it’s now wearing flatwounds, which feel and sound excellent. It’s completely the wrong sound for my band so I’ve not gigged it yet, as I’d planned, but I have a project in mind which might or might’nt happen, for which it’d be perfect. Great for noodling around at home to old Motown tunes too, what fun! 

• Like 2