Why become a member? ×

Bassists in the Bournemouth area with an interest in Folk

Brook_fan

I’m based in Christchurch/ Bournemouth and am mainly a fingerstyle acoustic guitarist with a wide ranging repertoire of pieces (original compositions and arrangements of my own) who would love to get together with a bass player to perform live.  Many of my arrangements have worked out bass parts, but perfectly happy to work with someone who wants to add their own voice to the arrangements.  Acoustic bass or double bass players would be brilliant, but also perfectly happy with electric bass.

Can supply YouTube links to show what I do.

Cheers,

Robbie

• 5 weeks later...
On 18 May 2018 at 13:47, Brook_fan said:

I’m based in Christchurch/ Bournemouth and am mainly a fingerstyle acoustic guitarist with a wide ranging repertoire of pieces (original compositions and arrangements of my own) who would love to get together with a bass player to perform live.  Many of my arrangements have worked out bass parts, but perfectly happy to work with someone who wants to add their own voice to the arrangements.  Acoustic bass or double bass players would be brilliant, but also perfectly happy with electric bass.

Can supply YouTube links to show what I do.

Cheers,

Robbie

Hi I Like the sound of your advert and what your trying to do.I'm planning on getting  more work on my upright.Ive been working with another folk artist from Salisbury helping to promote he's cd and enjoyed working in the live folk environment

I've also discovered through this project that's it's quite a difficult scene to break into and wondered what plans you had to do so.Sorry To be nosey

Cheers Paul F 

Thanks for your reply Paul.  I’m new to the area, so still need to investigate what folk clubs are around here.  I know there is the Bournemouth folk club, and something in Wimborne.  I also have some links to Bath and the surrounding area, which has a very big folk scene.

Yes, it’s a difficult field to break into.  Not everyone enjoys listening to instrumental stuff, which is why I am hoping a friend of mine can come and sing with me (she plays mandolin as well).

I would love to be able to play a few festivals next year, such as Purbeck and Bath, even if it’s just on their ‘emerging artists’ platforms.  I also have some friends who run folk clubs up in the midlands.

Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.  I love the sound of the double bass- it’s the sound I have in my head when I create bass parts for my tunes.  Although I love the convenience of playing acoustic bass guitar, it is a totally different sound from upright or electric.  I find you have to get the strings right as well.  Phosphor bronze are just too noisy and too similar sounding to the acoustic guitar, so I tend to use tape wounds.  That way I can also make use of my nails without creating too much extrenuous noise.