Why become a member? ×

Carbon reinforced necks

Christine

Sat in the van and killing time so time to ask this question:

do you have an opinion on carbon reinforced necks? Lifeless, full of life, dark, bright? And anything else they may or not be aside from helping keep the neck more stable. 

Ive never played one and honestly have no idea but I’ve been considering putting them in my new build but I’d love to hear what you guys who may have used them have to say 

Sorry for the delay, away the night.

I was asking really about reinforcing rods in a wooden neck probably similar to a 4 string Jazz neck. It will be made from African Mahogany, in 5 laminates from quarter sawn timber which is currently resting after ripping down.

5 hours ago, bassmachine2112 said:

Hiho just had carbon fibre cages fitted to my neck and all's well now.

No not my bass but me and hopefully I'll stay in tune better now.

I hope you get better soon but watch out for smart a...s who want to crank your ears to get you back in tune :)

In a multi laminate neck, the added stiffness of fibre rods is possibly overkill.  I remember Wal (chunky laminated necks) decided against it back in the mid 80’s.  

i’ve got one traditional J neck with carbon rods, and it hardly gives under string tension - with the truss rod undone it remains virtually straight, despite being a very thin profile.  Sounds great but it’s not very forgiving, and won’t take a low  action without some fret work. 

Edited by BassBod
  • Like 1