Why become a member? ×

NBD - Rob Allen Mouse

Frank Blank

Well technically it’s NTMBASHBD (New To Me But Actually Second Hand Bass Day).

Alright, this was Wednesday but as close as damn it.

I posted a while back asking for recommendations for a short scale lined fretless bass, @ikay was kind enough to point out that two fretless Rob Allen Mouse (should this be mice) basses were for sale on here. I feel very lucky to have purchased one of these from the scholar and gentleman @WishIcouldplay. Anyway, I had never tried an RA Mouse before, never seen one or heard one (apart from online, obv.) but I love the look of them from pics so With a pocket full of wonga I headed off to try it out. Just seeing it on its stand was enough, what a beautiful thing. I tried it as in slid one note up a tone on the G and I was in love. I dropped in on my musical collaborator on the way home and played our latest song using it, glorious.

Yesterday I got home from work about 6 and went straight to the study, plugged it in and started noodling, when I looked up again I was surprised to see it was dark, a look at the clock, 10:44! I have never owned a hand made instrument before, what a thing, it’s like playing a work of art, bass lines and tunes are falling out of it, I am actually smitten...

...now I need a fretted one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daz39 said:

Lovely. Is it a 4 string?

I have always admired the unique look of RA's Meeses - they look like a polished bit of tree with strings on.

Is it as glorious unplugged too?

It is a four string and, as you say, just like a strung tree. It is quiet unplugged but glorious enough that I bought it. I was offered to try it through an amp but I always buy instruments on their acoustic tone, in my experience if they sound good unplugged they will sound good amplified. It is loud enough to practice with solo but even alongside an acoustic guitar it needs plugging in.

Rob Allen’s stuff is genuinely different. Even Mrs Ez, who normally claims all guitars and basses sound the same to her, recognises my MB2 is a different, great sounding beast and has forbidden me from selling it (woe is me ;) ). Congrats on your new purchase: enjoy.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Rob Allen’s stuff is genuinely different. Even Mrs Ez, who normally claims all guitars and basses sound the same to her, recognises my MB2 is a different, great sounding beast and has forbidden me from selling it (woe is me ;) ). Congrats on your new purchase: enjoy.

Cheers, like you say, genuinely different. Clearly Mrs Ez has impeccable taste.

• Like 1

Congratulations on this, I must admit I was looking at the same bass but my other sale didn't come through until after it had gone.

Very jealous as I had a Mouse that I traded in for an MB2-5. Both gorgeous but I've found out that fretless 5s aren't for me. Definitely gonna get me another Rob Allen as nothing comes close to the tone, just a case of which 4 string one comes along.

7 hours ago, nickmew said:

Congratulations on this, I must admit I was looking at the same bass but my other sale didn't come through until after it had gone.

Very jealous as I had a Mouse that I traded in for an MB2-5. Both gorgeous but I've found out that fretless 5s aren't for me. Definitely gonna get me another Rob Allen as nothing comes close to the tone, just a case of which 4 string one comes along.

Oh sorry dude! You know @sdbass is selling one?