Why become a member? ×

The way we were... in defence of Later (sort of ...)

When Later first aired over 25yrs ago (pre-internet/YouTube etc for most of us at the time), for me, it was like a breath of fresh air in terms of being able to see live bands on the telly.

It gave music fans the opportunity to see bands/performances that we wouldn't otherwise have access to.

So, in the spirit of the above here's something that blew me away when I first saw it in summer 1993, and still does, in fact...  At the time I think it was one of her first live appearances after Debut came out.

I love the song, but this version, to my ears at least, is the best live version I've heard to this day. Captures the original and adds that little bit more. And I was (and still am) intrigued by the bass/guitar (?) that is used as a percussion instrument by one of the keyboard players.

Anyone else got any standout moments from Later?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

The good lady wife reckons Sleaford Mods and Young Fathers are the best thing since sliced bread (and/or Crass).

I'm too scared to disagree... or play Weather Report within earshot.

Your good lady wife is right on the money. I was musing on this a while back, Crass - Sleaford Mods, anything in between is mostly irrelevant.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Your good lady wife is right on the money. I was musing on this a while back, Crass - Sleaford Mods, anything in between is mostly irrelevant.

I think she'd broaden it out to include Steel Pulse, Slits and X-Ray Spex, but, aye, that'd be similar to her starting point... 

Mid-50s and still wants to change the world... and there's nowt wrong with that.

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

I think she'd broaden it out to include Steel Pulse, Slits and X-Ray Spex, but, aye, that'd be similar to her starting point... 

Mid-50s and still wants to change the world... and there's nowt wrong with that.

Oh my god, are you sure she’s not my good lady wife? Three of my top bands right there. I’m always over the moon when anyone mentions The Slits, totally great band.

Edited by Frank Blank

I agree  Later's always been  - and still is - a necessary antidote to the safe, mainstream and predictable  playlists on the radio and I include DAB stations like Planet Rock there. The only exception was the now defunct Jazz FM. Most of the stuff featured on Later's never been my bag but this is  probably only a reflection of viewers tastes. Something that it did wake me up to is this

I reckon that north of 90% of the acts on Later have not been to my taste.

That doesn't make Later a bad show. Later is a good show because it features live music. Why anyone would want to take it off the air just because they don't like the acts beats me.

What these people should be moaning about is that lack of alternative music shows on TV. With more choice, maybe, people would stop bleating on about Later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Yup, gets a +1 from me! Mrs Riva has sterling good taste.

That Sleaford Mods appearance on Jules really blew me away at the time. A proper shot in the arm. Almost helped me forgive Jules for all that boogie-woogie nonsense. Almost.

1 hour ago, Skol303 said:

Yup, gets a +1 from me! Mrs Riva has sterling good taste.

That Sleaford Mods appearance on Jules really blew me away at the time. A proper shot in the arm. Almost helped me forgive Jules for all that boogie-woogie nonsense. Almost.

I forgive him everything for a smattering of excellent performances, SM are tops though.

On 17/05/2018 at 16:58, Bobthedog said:

As much as the show seems to get slated, it' the bestbliveusic show on TV these days, and still provides the occasional gem.

Peter Gabriel - performing "In Your Eyes" (incidentally, how do you embed YouTube videos on this site?)

https://youtu.be/fQeeJaemrMY

Edited by kevin_lindsay

First off, I adore the first bjork clip, that got me into her in a big way- seemed so unreal and interesting. 

Second, it’s a great shop window for unusual and off the beaten track stuff which is interesting but sometimes you just want some balls to the wall rock n roll. Jo Wiley remembers this episode the way I do, I think it was overloaded with rock, wolfmother and another I can’t recall, and the Foos come on at the end and go, enough’s enough, have some of this. Love it.

Edited by scalpy
Spelling
  • Like 1