Kevin Dean

rack tuners

Before I order a new 3U rack case  I'd be interested to know if most people just use a TC clip on these days pros & cons , cheers.

I have a  Korg  pitch black rack , & Peterson Strobe ,  But was thinking of just using my TC clip on hat I use on my acoustic at Home .

I have the Helix, so tune through that mostly.  But on occasions where I'm not using it, I also have the TC Clipon and I'll never buy a pedal or rack tuner again.  It works perfectly.  Even in some very noisy rooms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

I have the Helix, so tune through that mostly.  But on occasions where I'm not using it, I also have the TC Clipon and I'll never buy a pedal or rack tuner again.  It works perfectly.  Even in some very noisy rooms.

I was wondering what the TC unit would be like at a gig thanks .

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

I was wondering what the TC unit would be like at a gig thanks .

It works for me Kev. Haven't used a pedal tuner for a few years. My bass's tuning is pretty solid, so it's never far out. But I've not had a single problem. Sometimes the low B is easier to do by the harmonic. 

• Like 1

I had the Korg Pitch Black but the power lead connection kept breaking which was very annoying. I now have the Behringer which is very good and has a very decent rack light in it.

• Like 1

The clip-on tuners are great and I use them extensively ... but not at gigs! They disappear way too easily ("disappear" as in go walkies and never come back) and they look ugly as sin.

My Korg DTR2000 on the other hand looks really cool, and with a fly lead left dangling from it, can also be used by the guitarists in the band.

Where space is short, or there's no need for me to bring that particular rack case, I always use a pedal tuner. First choice is the Pitchblack, but increasingly the only pedal I take to gigs is my Valetone Dapper.

• Like 1

I don't use it a lot these days, but I have the old Fender one. It's in a separate rack with my wireless, which also doesn't see much use. I've not found clip-ons to be reliable enough personally.

Rack gear is not very fashionable at all right now, but I'm still a big fan. Of course, for the sake of a couple of extra cables and a multi-effect, I can do most gigs in a single carry now, so my rack rig stays at home plenty.

I mostly use the tuner on a Zoom MS-60b, or a Korg Pitchblack.

• Like 1

I'm going to mount a rack-mountable tuner, BEHRINGER RACKTUNER BTR2000, which I bought several years ago, to a rack, THON STUDIO RACK 6U 38, which I'm going to buy next month at thomann.de.  That would be quite good.