Why become a member? ×

SWR Amp revamp

Bassmonkey

I recently picked up a really cheap SWR LA8 practice amp. It sounds OK but was covered in carpet which had attracted local cats and hence was pretty shabby. 

I decided to attempt a recover. Looked on You Tube and it seems pretty straightforward? what's the worse that could happen eh?

It initially looked like this (stock pic, I cracked on without taking one)

I got to work stripping it of its parts and then using a hot iron, removed the horrible fuzzy carpet.

This left me with a carcass which I then sanded to remove all the old glue and tufts etc.

This presented a problem - the grille and speaker support were glued and pinned in place.

I tried to drill out the staples all around the cab however, try as I might, I couldn't move the two panels.

Eventually - I was fired to use brute force to remove, and destroy,  them both. Cue loads of filling and sanding but it's now starting to look and feel smooth once again.

I bought a couple of replacement pieces from B&Q who cut them to exact size - less than a fiver. 

Next job - cut out holes for the speaker as well as the frame for the new grille cloth.

Pics to follow.......cheers 

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

Edited by Bassmonkey
Pics added

• 2 weeks later...

After lots of sanding and filling, I have cut out the new grille frame and baffle then covered with the new tolex. Used a spread on contact adhesive for the panel then spray on for the tolex. Rollered it flat to secure. It's never coming off!  

I stapled on the new grille cloth. I Like that look.

Now I have tp re-secure the baffle and then the bit I am most worried about - measuring and sticking on the rest of the tolex. 

IMG_1056.thumb.JPG.92eb97921132d739b337cee71fa7911e.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1055 2.JPG

• 1 month later...

Finished at last. I'm quite happy for my first attempt. Followed a You Tube video for the covering. To be honest my corners aren't that good, thankfully mostly hidden by the metal corner caps. Was a labour of love, probably cost me way more than it's worth but I'm a happy cat. Finished with a Lotus badge ..... just because I could ha ha. Hope you like it. Andy  

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

• Like 3

OI!  Malicious Moggies was going to be the name of my next band...

Hahahahaha.  The term made me smile.

I like how it's come out.  I've seen factory products that have passed QC that don't look as good.  You needn't worry.  Nice touch with the Lotus badge.