Why become a member? ×

Silly Music on TV

discreet

Anyone notice this trend? The BBC seem to be major offenders. Anything that's not serious drama, such as a programme about shopping, or a fluff-doc about some family business in Kettering, always has a constant moronic soundtrack throughout - usually featuring plinky pizzicato strings for a 'lighthearted' feel, or possibly an aphasic idiot whistling a merry tune accompanied by some jolly ukulele chords... and it's always too bloody loud!

I get the impression this drek is to keep the population calm and sedate... much like the sort of easy-listening prevalent in the nation's secure units, loony bins and associated banana cabanas.

Crime drama and other 'serious' programming is even worse. It's got to the stage where I cant even tell if something horrible is about to happen without the obligatory 'low synth drone', presumably intended to instil a sense of foreboding in the viewer...

Any other feckless time-wasting, square-eyed, slack-jawed quinquagenarians agree..?

Edited by discreet
  • Like 2

When the TV is in our house, I usually sit with my back to, reading a book or surfing the net, with a pair of ear protectors on to cut out the dross. If I'm wearing those, I'll be listening to decent music through headphones.

The strange thing is that if I leave the room (loo break, for example) my wife invariably pause the TV until I return 'so I don't miss anything' even though it couldn't be more obvious that I am neither watching nor listening to any of the dreadful rubbish.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

The strange thing is that if I leave the room (loo break, for example) my wife invariably pause the TV until I return 'so I don't miss anything' even though it couldn't be more obvious that I am neither watching nor listening to any of the dreadful rubbish.

I think that's very sweet and considerate of her. :D

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 1

Totally agree with you Mark.  Annoys the hell out of Mrs obbm and myself.  When you're hard of hearing it's bad enough trying to understand the dialogue without all that going on in the background.  Thank god for subtitles.

Don't get me stated on the sound balance on certain Light Entertainment shows where the vocals are so buried in the mix that you can't decipher the words.  When will sound engineers understand that lyrics were written to be heard. [/rant]

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, discreet said:

Any other feckless time-wasting, square-eyed, slack-jawed quinquagenarians agree..?

My contempt for the facile, simpering jauntiness of daytime TV incidental music is utter and complete. Were it possible to enact without risk of penal servitude a savage, physical retribution on the gurning halfwits who manufacture these odious 'programmes' I should proceed accordingly and with gusto. 

Faugh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd noted on a few visits to my Dad's house, he's started watching TV with the sound off. No subtitles, no sound, nothing. 

It's quite nice once you get used to it. Much easier to make up you're own plot lines and game show rules. 

• Haha 2

A House In The Boonies / S13 Ep4 / Wales

Final Broadcast Transcript

Run Time 29’:22”

Pre Creds: Presenter (Wendy) to camera

“This week we’re in Wales helping Ron and Marjorie to find … A House In The Boonies”

Opening Creds – Theme Music: ‘Plinketty Plonk’

Scene 1 – Establishing segment

Wendy to camera:

"Ron and Marjorie Blart currently live in a poky, condemned one bedroom flat in London but hope to exchange it for a gigantic mansion in Wales possibly with turrets. Ron’s a retired astrophysicist and Marjorie’s a lion-tamer so they need some land for Ron’s collection of radio telescopes and an enclosure for Marjorie’s pride of lions”

Shot of lions ripping zebra to shreds – Incidental Music: ‘Banjo Breakdown’

Wendy smarming to camera:

"So how did you two love-birds come to be married?"

Ron and Marjorie to camera, holding hands:  Incidental music: ‘Disco Love Theme for Ukulele”

Ron: “We met when Marjorie’s circus came to perform at Jodrell Bank. It was love at first sight”

Marjorie: “I’d never seen a little man with such a huge telescope”

Music stab: ‘Trombone Wah-wah-wah descending’

Wendy: So what’s the most important feature you’re looking for in your new House In The Boonies?

Marjorie: The master bedchamber must have have lots of light. And I want a snug little room somewhere to do colonic irrigation. It's a hobby of mine.

Ron:  I’d need an absolutely stable gravitational environment with no electro-magnetic eddies…

Wendy:  Right…

Ron:   … but it’s not a big issue as long as Marjorie’s lions are happy. Particularly Rex…

Marjorie: Yes, Rex.  Rex is a bit picky.

Wendy: (simpers) Well, we’ll be looking at three luvlay generous properties after the break

Break Bumper Music: ‘Pizzicato Plonketty Plink Plinketty Plinketty Plonk’

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 8

Homes under the hammer is horrendous, they must do the little camera pieces and then hand over the files to this weeks work experience kid who then picks a word at random and trawls YouTube for a song with it in the chorus.

19 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Homes under the hammer is horrendous, they must do the little camera pieces and then hand over the files to this weeks work experience kid who then picks a word at random and trawls YouTube for a song with it in the chorus.

Must be why they keep playing 'Our House' by Madness...

Edited by discreet

The camera work these days seems to be some fancy arty farty vertigo inducing modern art.

I gave up watching some bloke being interviewed the other day, because the camera kept zooming in and out up this blokes nose and earholes while said bloke looked straight ahead at another camera which it flipped back to from time to time in black and white. :facepalm:

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I gave up watching some bloke being interviewed the other day, because the camera kept zooming in and out up this blokes nose and earholes while said bloke looked straight ahead at another camera which it flipped back to from time to time in black and white. :facepalm:

It's SO annoying. As if viewers won't have the attention span to listen to an interview without constant visual excitement such as fast zooms, whip pans and an edit every half-second interspersed with shots of the interviewer nodding frantically like some demented bobble-head toy.

Mind you, most of this stuff happens to keep people staring at the screen like zombies because in most cases there is actually NO content. None!

Edited by discreet

I'm all about subtitles these days, it means I actually understand the plot of what I'm watching rather missing something important because a character mumbled.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1