Why become a member? ×

Cabs and castors ?

dmccombe7

I have a couple of different cabs and just wondered about whether or not cabs should have their castor wheels removed at a gig. ?

My Bergantino HT322 has removable castor wheels but i usually leave them on the cab. Have to say the cab sounds great that way but was curious to know whether they are designed to be removed at a gig and have the cab sit flat on floor ? 

Would removing them make much of a difference to the sound. ?

My Orange cabs have a wooden strip.

My Markbass and Trace cabs have the standard plastic style feet in each corner.

Just curious.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

...Would removing them make much of a difference to the sound. ?...

That's fairly easy to test: tip the cab onto its side and compare the sound.
All our cabs have castors; our sound is just fine. It'd take a couple of strong folks just to lift the HH 2x15 off the floor enough to whip out the castors, anyway. The venues and repertoire we play, any difference at all (doubtful...) would be insignificant. I'd suggest leaving 'em on and concentrating on playing well, in the knowledge that you've got great gear that sounds great. :|

• Like 1

For years I swore by having the cab standing only on its rubber feet. I used to have it taken out of its flightcase to facilitate that. When that case wore out I had a live in case made and had no foam under the feet to carry that on.

Eventually, I had no need of flightcases and decided to put some castors on the cab. The result/? No difference that I ever detected.

I would suggest that tipping the cab on its side might make an artificial difference because of the change in the dispersion.

• Like 1

Makes no difference. To affect any change in sound you'd need to have the cab around 18" off the floor. You might get a better sound on a boomy wooden stage, though. I expect Bill will be along shortly to correct both these statements. :D

Edited by discreet

There`s probably a lot of science and theories on this, but if the sound is acceptable to the ear then that has to be the most important factor. I think they`re probably more designed to be removed to make shipping easier/less prone to breakages/able to be stacked better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

For years I swore by having the cab standing only on its rubber feet. I used to have it taken out of its flightcase to facilitate that. When that case wore out I had a live in case made and had no foam under the feet to carry that on.

Eventually, I had no need of flightcases and decided to put some castors on the cab. The result/? No difference that I ever detected.

I would suggest that tipping the cab on its side might make an artificial difference because of the change in the dispersion.

So to compare tones properly, one would have to turn the cab through 180 degrees!! - don't think I will bother!!!

Just try A/B ing each gig, till you decide if there is an overall preference. A pain perhaps, though you may be surprised at the results. I generally prefer the sound of my cab directly on the floor, but as mentioned above this can occasionally lead to boominess on hollow wooden staging. When this happens I just put the cab back in the base section of it's flight case (on castors) - simple. ^_^

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

That's fairly easy to test: tip the cab onto its side and compare the sound.

Our PA subs have wheels but are designed to sit on their sides on rubber feet.

This is what I used to do when I was using big cabs - big wheels on the bottom to roll everything in but I screwed in extra feet to that they could stack sitting on their sides.

I'm really quite curious as to why they are designed with castors and what manufacturers say on how best to use at a gig i.e. wheels on, wheels off. Think i'll send Bergantino an email to see what they say.

Dave 

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Was more interested to know if they affect the sound from the cab. To be honest i've found the castors are quite helpful on this particular cab altho i agree that on paving or eneven ground they are a nuisance but overall once in the venue they are helpful. The cab is too heavy for a one man lift at my age and i'm currently looking to sell off some of my other gear to fund the new D800+ Mesa head and Subway cabs al being lightweight of course.

I do have a folding trolley for gear tho. It might even have been after reading a comment from you on the subject in another thread.

Dave

I actually started to get trolley GAS ... no, seriously, stop laughing ... and came up with https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/clarke-cst12-industrial-sack-truck-oclarke_6500185?paid=googlepaidproducts&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG15YVWAjE6e5U9jhnKD4qWopfRbEjIUDHizjKwf5HHJoH089U7QP2UaAjCeEALw_wcB

Luckily, I had the sense to ask what the (unladen) trolley weighed before I bought it.

21Kg.

Ah, right, so now I need a trolley to move around my trolley ... perhaps not.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I actually started to get trolley GAS ... no, seriously, stop laughing ... and came up with https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/clarke-cst12-industrial-sack-truck-oclarke_6500185?paid=googlepaidproducts&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG15YVWAjE6e5U9jhnKD4qWopfRbEjIUDHizjKwf5HHJoH089U7QP2UaAjCeEALw_wcB

Luckily, I had the sense to ask what the (unladen) trolley weighed before I bought it.

21Kg.

I have a smaller lightweight version of that but can't remember where i bought it. Pretty sure it was thru Amazon or Ebay shop.

Dave

I've got an Aguilar GS410 which has castors on it as I can barely move it without them. I do tend to turn it on its side at gigs so it's in contact with the floor, as I'd always imagined it would sound better than on wheels.

Then again I've played lots of festivals where the supplied backline is on wheeled flight cases anyway and it sounds great, so maybe there's less in it than I thought. 

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Only problem I have with cabs and castors is when I the venue has a gravel car park. Hmm.

yep same here which is why I carry a sack truck with solid rubber wheels for my 410, PA sub etc..

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2018 at 15:19, Happy Jack said:

21Kg.

Surely this is a topic for Trollychat? :biggrin: