Why become a member? ×

How did Martin Peterson do this.?

bubinga5

It just occurred to me the top on my Jazz on the arm rest part is still the top wood. Looking at it from the side most of the top wood is only fairly thin, but get to the arm rest part of the body, and its still the same. Usually builders will just sand that part, exposing the main body wood. Just wondering how he did this.? . I presume he's cut the top wood deeper on the arm rest, so as not to loose it when sanded down. ?? I hope this makes sense.

unnamed-6.jpg

unnamed-7.jpg

Edited by bubinga5

You could use a vacuum bag to apply even pressure across the top, that way the laminate would deform to the shape of the body and the vacuum would apply 14.7 pounds of pressure per square inch

11 minutes ago, rmcki said:

You could use a vacuum bag to apply even pressure across the top, that way the laminate would deform to the shape of the body and the vacuum would apply 14.7 pounds of pressure per square inch

14.8 if you sucked really hard!! :-)

• Haha 1

It's called a drop top. Generally more common on guitars for some reason.The forearm carve is cut into the body blank before the top is glued on, then the top bent to the contour. It only works with fairly thin tops and sometimes it's necessary to score the underside and pre bend the top wood to avoid cracking! 

A vacuum bag isn't a necessity (it can be done with clamps) but definitely a benefit!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, therealting said:

Acoustic guitar builders steam the sides before bending to avoid cracking. 

This ^^

I would bet that the top laminate was steamed and bent before glueing to the body. Done properly it will take a big bend without cracking.