20 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I continue to watch this thread with interest - I have three or four questions/points-

1) Whilst understanding that speaker response has a big role how much does the amp voicing play? So my LM3 has a bass control centred on 40 hz - there are two filters (which I've tried but never use). However a Little Marcus of the same power has its bass control centred on 65 hz - presumably to his spec and bass type - I'm curious to try one if these if only to hear the difference - but the LM3 seems to work great with my Musicman basses

Let me have a crack at the first of your Qs (not least 'cos my hijak of the thread has more than had it's fair run!) 

My understanding is that most power amps are full range i.e. cover all the bass audible / human hearing range of 20Hz to 15kHz+ (not sure many of us (certainly male bass players) will be able to hear much above 15kHz).

The EQ centring on the amp then allows you to boost / cut at the centred points. Definitely important - but if it's lacking on your amp it should be something that can be addressed with a separate EQ pedal, preamp / EQ pedal or active bass EQ. Whereas a cab's tonal response and colour is going to more 'baked in'. So choice of a good cab is going to be just as important (arguably more?) in your signal chain than choice of amp.

Some amps allow you to vary the EQ centre points e.g. Mesa D800+; GM800 and DG M900 all allow variation of the low mid and high mid centre points. The LM3 doesn't have that flexibility (but fair enough given the relative pricing). The new Little Marcus range I think has a more useful EQ, in particular as it has addressed the big 'hole' in the LM3's EQ between 800Hz (high mid) and 10kHz (treble).

I actually find that the active EQ on my basses often have as much, if not a bigger, impact than the EQ on my amps.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jack
      Hello all,

I'm continuing my gear clear out, so I have the following for sale.

£100 Line 6 G10 - I had one of these for about 6 months and loved it (that ones is pictured on one of the boards below). Unfortunately it broke (these things happen) and I sent it back for warranty repair. In the meantime I have become comfortable using my G55 and so when they sent me my replacement G10 I haven't  even opened it, I'm passing it straight on to the bass playing community. New, unopened.
      £25 Rock Stock Bright Switch - "But how" I hear you cry "How will I power my new Line 6 G10 that I've just bought from Jack?"  Boom, enter the Rock Stock Bright Switch *mic drop* Take a boss power plug and has two usb sockets. One for the included light and the other for the G10. Or your tablet. Or charge a phone on the gig. Or, when you have wall power you can use it to charge your pedal board battery for when you don't have wall power. How clever is that? Boxed with usb light.
      £40 TC Electronic Switch-3 - 3-button footswitch for BH amps, Nova system, etc. In a very battered box with connecting cable
      £25 Boss AB-2 - slightly scruffy. Barely. I'm only noting this because everything else is so mint.
      £55 Pedaltrain Classic Junior - Great condition, in a soft case. Velcro on the top.
      £45 Pedaltrain Metro 20 - Also great condition, also soft case, also velcro! :-)
      SOLD £200 Gallien-Krueger Plex - boxed, with manuals and accessories including the EU psu that came in the box
      SOLD £80 Zoom B3 - decent condition, few minor scratches
      SOLD £110 Strymon Ojai - absolutely mint with box and cables
      SOLD £45 Boss GEB-7 - box, excellent condition, velcro on the bottom
      SOLD £10 Behringer BEQ700 - boxed, mint condition
      SOLD £20 Behringer BDI21

Trades sought:
      P bass with a maple neck in a traditional colour
      Electric guitar with humbuckers
      2-4 channel mixer with balanced main outputs
      Vocal microphone
      Studiospares 458190
      Laptop (as long as it's quite small and in good condition)
      Oh, pretty much anything. Try me.

Sensible offers welcome! They are all in generally very good condition and all of them work flawlessly, anything else is noted with the item. Unless I've specifically mentioned it then please assume that these pedals are without accessories. Postage is included! I'm happy to meet up or you're welcome to come and try anything out. I'm around 10 minutes North West of Newcastle.

Thanks!

• By Stephen Houghton
      REDUCED TO £430 FINAL REDUCTION........

THESE ARE THE DOGS
      Perfect as new condition with original box, sorry pics a bit crap my camera is rubbish (it is in as new pristine condition). Fantastic studio quality EQ, check out the reviews on these they are highly rated and some reviews prefer them to the original classic Pultec they are based on. Just used in my home studio, very rarely used, I am having a cull on gear that I have and dont use and going to buy more bass gear with the funds raised.

Prefer pickup, but will post UK only, buyer arranges courier e.t.c. I will pack very securely.
      Any more information required, give me a bell on 07940196146

Steve

Blurb below
      A wonderful EQ, in excellent condition. With box.
        Utilizes premium grade input and output CineMag USA Transformers.
      Tube Equalizer based on the classic “Pultec” EQP-1A.
      Premium high voltage 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes.
      CineMag inductor EQ section.
      EQ section is bypassable - signal still passes through tubes and transformers for warming effect.
      No insertion loss - loss restored by tube amplifier.
      XLR and TRS transformer balanced inputs.
      XLR and TRS transformer balanced outputs.
      Flat frequency response from 20 Hz - 50 kHz.
      Boost and Cut controls can be used simultaneously for phase effect.
      Low frequency boost - 20, 30, 60, 100, 200, 400, 800 Hz - 12 db.
      Low frequency cut - 20, 30, 60, 100, 200, 400, 800 Hz - 18 db.
      High frequency boost - 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12, 16 kHz - 18 db.
      High frequency cut - 3, 4, 5, 10, 20 kHz - 14 db.
      5 added frequency points for greater flexibility.
      Switchable 115/230 volt IEC power inlet.
      Dimensions: 19 x 3.5 x 6 inches - 2RU rack mountable.  

• By Shroombass
      Avalon U5 Pre Amp/DI For sale.   £450 or Open to trades (particularly Synths, Music tech etc) PRICE DROP £400 (final price)
      Great condition, comes with the additional Rack Ears, which are now unbelievably £99 rrp.  The Avalon U5 itself now retails for £599.  So just under £700 to buy this set up new.
      Has been living in my studio rack, but I just own far too many DI's/Preamps.  I know I'll probably regret selling this, as I have in the past.  

• By Shroombass
      Avalon U5 Pre Amp/DI For sale.   £450 or Open to trades (particularly Synths, Music tech etc) Price Drop £400 (final price) 
      Great condition, comes with the additional Rack Ears, which are now unbelievably £99 rrp.  The Avalon U5 itself now retails for £599.  So just under £700 to buy this set up new.
      Has been living in my studio rack, but I just own far too many DI's/Preamps.  I know I'll probably regret selling this, as I have in the past.  

• By Shroombass
      Avalon U5 Pre Amp/DI For sale.   £450 or Open to trades (particularly Synths, Music tech etc)