Why become a member? ×

Fender Pickups - The 60s and 70's

Linus27

I have a Fender Jazz American Vintage Re-issue 1975 Jazz bass and it gives me a very mellow, warm sound, even verging on muddy if I'm not too careful. I've played a few 60's Jazz basses and they have not been so mellow and have sounded more nasal, more defined but a little thinner sounding. Both have sounded amazing but certainly different tonally. I know the bridge pickup placement between a 60's and 70's jazz was different but I'm interested in if there is a considerable difference in the pickups from the 60's and then 70's.

I also have a lovely 1970's Re-issue Fender Precision and again, I am wondering if there is any difference tonally between the pickups used in a 50's Precision, a 60's Precision and a 70's Precision and what those differences are tonally?

I don't know how accurate they are - but Aguilar do 60s and 70s wind versions of their J pickups and do video demos of them.

They don't do a specific 70s P, but they have a Hot version. The Js have 60s, 70, Hot etc

Worth having a listen on youtube even if the person playing is a bit stinky poo.

I've got a 60s wind P in my PJ-Ray and it's very nice. Not sure that helps you really! :D 

• Like 1

The wire and winding specs of a Jazz pickup changed in the 70s. This description of the Nordstrand NJ4 and optional 70s wind gives a bit more detail - https://nordstrandaudio.com/collections/4-string-jazz-bass-pickups/products/nj4-vintage-single-coil.

Curious that your 75 reissue sounds so mellow and warm, a 70s Jazz is usually a bit more aggressive due to the different pickup wind and bridge pup position. Have you tried raising the pickups a bit? If you've got some leeway to do that (without introducing magnetic pull/warbling) it should add a bit more bite and grunt. Particularly the bridge pup, but raising the neck pup will also tighten up the sound.

Edited by ikay

My '66P definitely sounds 'warmer' for want of a better word than more modern P basses that I have owned; maybe this is why I flip them.  There may of course be other things going on like the body woods having endured 40+ years more seasoning, the nitro lacquer, the actual values of the electronic components as I'm sure manufacturing tolerances were less repeatable then than today.

I took the bass to rehearsal last night as I hadn't played it for a month or so and was immediately struck but the tone compared to the other P bass I use more frequently.  My 'other' P has a Nordstrand NP4 in that is apparently designed and wound to sound like a vintage bass.