Why become a member? ×

Which soul(ish) tunes do you play that go down really well with the widest range of audiences?

Band is looking to expand its repertoire but I don't really want to waste time learning good songs only to find they stink up the place when we do them live. Obviously I know all bands excel at different songs and you may play a tune really well and my band may not but I'm just after a broad consensus really to add weight to the band discussion. Thinking mainly soul, tamla, stax, motown type things but totally up for newer stuff too. So which songs do you find most people dance / sing a long to?

Al Green's Take Me To The River seemed to go down well which surprised me. The band were playing the Talking Heads version and I was playing the AG bass line. I was depping and I assumed a soul band would play the original but it went well!

They started with Sweet Soul Music which set the tone rather well. Ending with a couple of James Brown tunes, Papa's... And I Feel Good.

Loads of Otis and Stevie in between and plenty of dancing including a conga during Love Train!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Wicked tunes...if these don't get people dancin' you may want to check their pulses...

Definitely Uptight, great bassline (I got told off for not getting the intro right at rehearsal, extra homework that night B|)

My old band always used to open dance sets with Barry White's 'You're the first my last...'

Always a floor filler - not too fast and for some reason everyone knows it and can manage some sort of dance moves to it too! xD

These are ones from our set

Respect

Rescue Me

Nowhere to Run

You Just Keep Me Hanging On

Build Me Up Buttercup (never fails) 

Signed Sealed Delivered

River Deep

Tears of a Clown

Sweetest Feeling

Your Love is Lifting Me

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 11:36, stewblack said:

Which soul(ish) tunes do you play that go down really well with the widest range of audiences?

There are a lot of bands doing this. It was written as live music. Music you'd want to dance all night to, which is why it's still popular with audiences today. You need to keep the feel but sound different enough to stand out and get noticed.

Hall and Oates I Can't Go For That.

Otis's Hard To Handle and run it into Hush.

The Stones Miss You.

Aerosmith's Walk This Way with the feel of RUN DMC's version.

Billie Jean, Jive Talking, Dancing In The Street, Word Up.