Why become a member? ×

NEW D CLASS BASS AMP BUT WHAT?- QUILTER? MESA? etc??

BassManGraham

8 hours ago, BassManGraham said:

I do like the sound of EICH amps, but a bit confused as specs show 500W into 2 ohms per Speakon output (unbridged) whereas whatever cab configuration I want to use would amount to total 2 ohms i.e. 4 ohms per Speak on output.

wondering if that would reduce the 500W quoted?   

I just use channel A into one cab, channel B into the other. They're a minimum of 2 ohm each. There may be a slight drop in maximum output if the load is 4 ohms on each channel, but I rarely get past 9 o'clock on the master output, even on a big stage.

21 hours ago, stevie said:

Don't forget to check out the Ashdown RM500 and RM800. I compared the former with an old but respected Trace Elliot head at a recent bass bash, and it was in no way inferior. It has a well considered feature set too.

Interesting! I used to love Trace stuff in the 80s, but the weight of it sent me elsewhere, never had the same feeling for Ashdown. My brother had an ABM and I was rather underwhelmed by it, but I have yet to hear the RM series. Must get to a bass bash this year!

Many thanks for all the advice and comments above, much appreciated.

I clearly need to get over to Bass Direct to do some head to head comparisons between EICH, Trickfish, Mesa, Genzler Magellan, Vanderkley and all. Difficult to fit trip in for the foreseeable between gigs (good complaint) and family stuff.

In conclusion, I have gone against my credo of never buying an amp without trying it first, but there is severly limited, if any availability of really top class bass amps in Ireland. So with recommendations from venerable and trusted sources, a couple of Youtube demos, my impatience being what it is , and no signs whatsoever of my cronic G.A.S. abating, I have pushed the "add to cart button" for the Quilter Bass Block at €499 i.e. about £436 @ current ROE. It seemed rude not to.

Anything else on the wish or try list is going to be between 2 to 4 times that, and a visit to UK dealers would approach the cost of the Quilter, so I 'm taking a punt!

I will report back in due course

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

If I was the OP I wouldn't have any GAS for amps but I'd be looking at a couple of G3 Super Compacts or an SC and a Super Midget.

Back on topic: I haven't heard a Quilter (or Genzler) but I owned both the Subway D800 and Aguilar TH500. The D800 was very good but I kept the TH500 which is now my backup to an AG700, which I think sounds even better with BF cabs.

9 hours ago, BassManGraham said:

Many thanks for all the advice and comments above, much appreciated.

I clearly need to get over to Bass Direct to do some head to head comparisons between EICH, Trickfish, Mesa, Genzler Magellan, Vanderkley and all. Difficult to fit trip in for the foreseeable between gigs (good complaint) and family stuff.

In conclusion, I have gone against my credo of never buying an amp without trying it first, but there is severly limited, if any availability of really top class bass amps in Ireland. So with recommendations from venerable and trusted sources, a couple of Youtube demos, my impatience being what it is , and no signs whatsoever of my cronic G.A.S. abating, I have pushed the "add to cart button" for the Quilter Bass Block at €499 i.e. about £436 @ current ROE. It seemed rude not to.

Anything else on the wish or try list is going to be between 2 to 4 times that, and a visit to UK dealers would approach the cost of the Quilter, so I 'm taking a punt!

I will report back in due course

Cheers 

I was in the same situation here in Belfast.  I went for the Quilter and don't regret it one bit.  It's my regular gigging amp, with a GK MB200 as back-up.

The Quilter has seemingly endless power, a great  solid low-end, but not sparkling highs, although that's not what I need.

I use mine mostly with a Barefaced BB2 and it's superb.  For tonights gig I'll use it with a Super Midget and just add two notches to the bass - perfect.

It's a simple but effective gigging amp, with few frills but still never feels wanting.

I hope you enjoy yours.  I paid £620.00 for mine last year.>:(

Frank.

30 minutes ago, machinehead said:

I was in the same situation here in Belfast.  I went for the Quilter and don't regret it one bit.  It's my regular gigging amp, with a GK MB200 as back-up.

The Quilter has seemingly endless power, a great  solid low-end, but not sparkling highs, although that's not what I need.

I use mine mostly with a Barefaced BB2 and it's superb.  For tonights gig I'll use it with a Super Midget and just add two notches to the bass - perfect.

It's a simple but effective gigging amp, with few frills but still never feels wanting.

I hope you enjoy yours.  I paid £620.00 for mine last year.>:(

Frank.

Did you ever try your Quilter with one of the Barefaced 10" cabs Frank? 

5 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Did you ever try your Quilter with one of the Barefaced 10" cabs Frank? 

I have gigged the Quilter with both a single one10 and a pair of one10s.  It's a different vibe to the 12" Barefaced cabs but I like them both, depending on the gig.

If I was forced to choose, the BB2 is my favourite.

Frank.

I was puzzled by the Quilter suggestions until I saw Thomman’s price. That must be impossible to beat if you need the power. I will stick with my Magellan 350 but, yes, impressive. Assembled in the USA too.

Edited by DBerriff

On 17/05/2018 at 09:31, BassManGraham said:

Interesting! I used to love Trace stuff in the 80s, but the weight of it sent me elsewhere, never had the same feeling for Ashdown. My brother had an ABM and I was rather underwhelmed by it, but I have yet to hear the RM series. Must get to a bass bash this year!

I think Trace is a yardstick for many people - not without some justification. Ashdown's efforts with lightweight amps over the years have been very hit and miss. I had a miBass 550 at one point and didn't keep it very long,  and the less said about the jolly green giant amps the better - although you can't knock Ashdown for trying.

At the said bassbash, we compared the Ashdown Retroglide with a really nice early Trace 150 head. The Trace had the heft (sorry!) and the Retroglide didn't. We then compared the Trace with the Ashdown RM500 I had just bought at the bash, and it sounded very close - the same "slam", if you like. I have no idea why the RM500 had "it" and the Retroglide didn't. A few days before the bash, Chienmortbb and I compared one of the RM500s (that Ashdown had kindly supplied for the bash) with my highly rated, US-built lightweight head that currently retails at close to a grand - and we both preferred the Ashdown.

It's all subjective, of course. That's just my experience. So make your own minds up.

8 hours ago, DBerriff said:

I was puzzled by the Quilter suggestions until I saw Thomman’s price. That must be impossible to beat if you need the power. I will stick with my Magellan 350 but, yes, impressive. Assembled in the USA too.

I'm curious why you were puzzled? 

I (sadly) paid £620 for my Quilter and it was a bargain at that. The quality of the tone makes it a serious option at twice the price IME. I rarely use mine above the  160w setting into an 8ohm cab (so it's limiting the output at around 80w). The tone controls are deceptively powerful and it's easy to dial a good tone by "painting" a waveform and using the gain or master to boost as required.

I would think the reason behind Thomann's pricing is likely to be that Quilter have, or are in, the process of shifting amp production to China, they posted about it last week on their FB page, it's to ensure the long term survival of the company as they are sharing qsc's facility at the moment, they also stated that quality will remain as is and not be affected in any way.

Whatever, the Bass Block is a monster of an amp, it doesn't want for anything compared to any of my other amps, if we're travelling any distance to a gig or going in a car it's usually what I take, it sounds immense through the Four10 or the Dubster.

5 minutes ago, doomed said:

I would think the reason behind Thomann's pricing is likely to be that Quilter have, or are in, the process of shifting amp production to China, they posted about it last week on their FB page, it's to ensure the long term survival of the company as they are sharing qsc's facility at the moment, they also stated that quality will remain as is and not be affected in any way.

Whatever, the Bass Block is a monster of an amp, it doesn't want for anything compared to any of my other amps, if we're travelling any distance to a gig or going in a car it's usually what I take, it sounds immense through the Four10 or the Dubster.

Apparently the BB800 production is staying in the U.S. Certainly for now.

Well my new Quilter arrived yesterday. I initially plugged into my PJB C8, and was very pleased with power, sound and tonal palate. Will be putting it through it's paces at band rehearsal with my Barefaced Super 12T, before doing a few gigs next week. First impressions are very good indeed. I was a little apprehensive about lack of usual EQ bass, middle and treble tone controls etc, but contour shaping controls work well and offer a great range of usuable tones, all I will ever use or need. Not dissimilar to those VPF and VLE controls on Markbass amps. I will report back after some gigs. 

Edited by BassManGraham

• 3 weeks later...

Well after several gigs and a couple of rehearsals with my new QUILTER BASS BLOCK 800 I am as pleased as punch. I am now using it at all gigs. Way too good to have as a back-up.  

A fellow player was very impressed with my sound last Saturday night (and surprised at the price). Quizzed me about the amp, took photos and went off to buy one. 

A great range of usuable musical bass tones, plenty of punch. Simply marvellous ever player should have one

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BassManGraham said:

Well after several gigs and a couple of rehearsals with my new QUILTER BASS BLOCK 800 I am as pleased as punch. I am now using it at all gigs. Way too good to have as a back-up.  

A fellow player was very impressed with my sound last Saturday night (and surprised at the price). Quizzed me about the amp, took photos and went off to buy one. 

A great range of usuable musical bass tones, plenty of punch. Simply marvellous ever player should have one

Same here - i grabbed one as an experiment after having poor experiences with other class D amps (slam, heft blah blah...)

Its an amazing little bit of kit and provides most of what i was missing from other class D's. I'm 4 gigs in with it and loving it. The unusual tone controls are very intuitive as long as you spend 10 minutes having a think and a fiddle at home to understand them. It sounds huge in a band situation through a couple of Barefaced cabs using a good P Bass. Loads of heft, plenty of volume and no flattening of the low end when you crank it - the sound stays consistent when you get loud with it. The clever limiting is easy to hear when you run the gain over 7 and the sag begins to appear or you can keep it clear and clean with lower gain and higher master.

Really impressed with it 🙂

• Like 1

On 14/06/2018 at 17:39, Mudpup said:

Same here - i grabbed one as an experiment after having poor experiences with other class D amps (slam, heft blah blah...)

Its an amazing little bit of kit and provides most of what i was missing from other class D's. I'm 4 gigs in with it and loving it. The unusual tone controls are very intuitive as long as you spend 10 minutes having a think and a fiddle at home to understand them. It sounds huge in a band situation through a couple of Barefaced cabs using a good P Bass. Loads of heft, plenty of volume and no flattening of the low end when you crank it - the sound stays consistent when you get loud with it. The clever limiting is easy to hear when you run the gain over 7 and the sag begins to appear or you can keep it clear and clean with lower gain and higher master.

Really impressed with it 🙂

Saw your review on Thomann @Mudpup.  I've been looking at the BB800 for a while and have now ordered one from Thomann unheard.  I'm selling my GK MB500 as I fancy something a bit less coloured to go through my BF Super Twin.

46 minutes ago, TorturedSaints said:

Saw your review on Thomann @Mudpup.  I've been looking at the BB800 for a while and have now ordered one from Thomann unheard.  I'm selling my GK MB500 as I fancy something a bit less coloured to go through my BF Super Twin.

Wasn't me on Thomann buddy but its pretty much what i would have written.