Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

On 01/09/2021 at 17:02, Supernaut said:

Has anyone changed the stock strap buttons for Dunlop strap locks?

Finally got around to this and installed the flush mount versions. I used the stock screws that came with the bass to make sure everything was secure. 

Ordered some DR Fat Beams too. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Finally got around to this and installed the flush mount versions. I used the stock screws that came with the bass to make sure everything was secure. 

Ordered some DR Fat Beams too. :) 

Could you post a pic of the flush mount type as i dont think i've seen that version of straplock. 

Dave

Hello,

A TM5 super light came to me recently.

I understood thatCalifornia series came with Sandberg strings in gauge 040-128.

I didn't notice it while playing alone at home but in rehersal and during my first gig with it, I noticed that D and G string sound quite lower in the mix than other strings. I can't realy define if it is a lower volume or a lack of bass frequencies on those two strings.

In your experience, could it come from Sandberg strings or from the lighter gauge. I've always used a regular 045-130.

Thanks for your opinion.

;)

Oddly enough i've found same with my VM4 where D & G strings are slightlly lower. I recently started using  D'addarios 45, 65, 80, 100 gauge mainly because mate gave me them when he gave up playing bass and when i changed back to 40-100 gauge again is when i noted what you are saying.

I've also found that using my own Mesa rig its a lot better than the EBS HD360 / Ameg 810 set up in studio. Not sure if its because my Mesa cabs have horns that let the higher frequencies come thru better. I found the original SS Sandbergs were worse than the nickel D'addarios too.

To be fair  i have found this with other basses over the years.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oddly enough i've found same with my VM4 where D & G strings are slightlly lower. I recently started using  D'addarios 45, 65, 80, 100 gauge mainly because mate gave me them when he gave up playing bass and when i changed back to 40-100 gauge again is when i noted what you are saying.

I've also found that using my own Mesa rig its a lot better than the EBS HD360 / Ameg 810 set up in studio. Not sure if its because my Mesa cabs have horns that let the higher frequencies come thru better. I found the original SS Sandbergs were worse than the nickel D'addarios too.

To be fair  i have found this with other basses over the years.

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I'll try some regular gauge when those stock strings will be dead.

I suppose that the nut can accepte regular gauge strings without any modification ?

Thanks

I had no issues moving to the 45, 65, 80, 100 gauge but i prefer the flexibility of 40-100 gauge. I def find my Mesa gear seems to cover the issue better. Perhaps its to do with the fact i have a full range rig with horns, 10's and 15's. 

My Fender PJ tends to be much same. My Jazz not so much and my Warwick Thumb with EMG's is perfect balance across the strings. Altho different strings on the basses they are all generally 40-100 gauge.

Something i did notice when hearing gig VIDS that the bass was pretty well balanced across the strings. Had a pro camera guy do it so he used a combination of live sound from his cameras and / or straight from the desk.

I also found from Mesa guy that is also on BC that the Mesa amp i'm using does have an inherent mid cut voicing so i took his advice and boosted my mids a little more so maybe that helped. Maybe its just down to EQ on the amp.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

2 hours ago, Shiveringbass said:

Yes, for the moment I haven't tested it yet on the full Tecamp rig. 

It may well come from the little Barefaced Midget I used for that small place gig.

Next week gig will clarify things on a big stage.

;)

Let me know how you get on with it. Hopefully its not so noticeable on your full rig. If anything try a little boost on the higher mids to help it cut thru the mix a bit more.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Looks like there's a Stingray type on the way...

243037781_4875032062508349_7113825204832

I wonder how that differs from this?

I love Sandbergs too btw. This one is mine. Just a simple basic 4 but it is an amazing instrument. Bought it from GuitarGuitar last year.

Basic01.jpg

• Like 2

On 24/09/2021 at 20:57, Shiveringbass said:

Hello,

A TM5 super light came to me recently.

I understood thatCalifornia series came with Sandberg strings in gauge 040-128.

I didn't notice it while playing alone at home but in rehersal and during my first gig with it, I noticed that D and G string sound quite lower in the mix than other strings. I can't realy define if it is a lower volume or a lack of bass frequencies on those two strings.

In your experience, could it come from Sandberg strings or from the lighter gauge. I've always used a regular 045-130.

Thanks for your opinion.

;)

My TM4 SL does that in rehearsals when i don't have time to fiddle with the stock rehearsal room amp and I thought it was an issue with the pickups, but I gigged it at the weekend with a professional sound person and PA, and all strings came through evenly and clear as a bell. I always use mine passive and set fully to neck pickup. Maybe worth trying with a different rig if you can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, petebassist said:

My TM4 SL does that in rehearsals when i don't have time to fiddle with the stock rehearsal room amp and I thought it was an issue with the pickups, but I gigged it at the weekend with a professional sound person and PA, and all strings came through evenly and clear as a bell. I always use mine passive and set fully to neck pickup. Maybe worth trying with a different rig if you can.

Thanks for the reply. The big rig was out this week-end and strangely enough, while I still felt a difference in strings while playing, the videos recorded from the audience tells me that the sound was good and quite well balanced from string to string.

Most of the time I use my TM5 in single coil mode, both pickups equal.

I'll try to post a little bit of it as soon as possible.

;)

• Like 1