Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

37 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

Thanks Dave. The problem is they are rarely seen here in Canada. I prefer to pick a bass up and see how it feels , but may have to take a chance a ship one over! 
the only experience I had with Delano’s was on my Mayones. I hated them and put in Barts, with East. 
so that’s the only thing I’d be concerned about as they seem to only use Delano’s. 

Are you out in Niagara area by any chance ?

I saw one of those Cobra's running about when i was on holiday over there altho it was 15 yrs ago LOL

My VM4 doesn't have Delano's. Sandbergs own make. They also do others but we need @Cuzzie in this conversation to explain all the differences. He's my Sandberg Guru. LOL

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I saw one of those Cobra's running about when i was on holiday over there altho it was 15 yrs ago LOL

My VM4 doesn't have Delano's. Sandbergs own make. They also do others but we need @Cuzzie in this conversation to explain all the differences. He's my Sandberg Guru. LOL

Dave

Haha

cheers Dave - lemme have me tea first then I’ll trot out me lowdown!

• Haha 1

I found one I wrote a while ago - so excuse the copy paste......

I should probably save the post I wrote on this, as I have replicated it a number of times, so........This is all preamp aside

Delano - hifi, not sterile, more modern sounding, great clarity, fine to use with effects but you have to know what you want to do

Sandberg - I am pretty sure at some point there was a generational shift, but, more classic/vintage sounding, lower output, but just the right output to play with pre amps etc and not overload the front end like the G&L MFD pick ups do - very very good sounding, but I think their split coil is the weakest of the lot (dunno why, not as good as their jazz)

Sandberg black label - as above but with even more punch and zing, more of a modern nod and a real punch to the guts - especially good in with SL basses, as they need more oomph being lightweight - very very good pick ups

Haüssel-like the sandberg ones on steroids, huge balls and character and they also do a big pole version I have used in another bass - so much beef that Jon Snow, the TT which @DJ’65 has now solo’d on the neck is practically a P bass sound - very good pick ups, slightly harder to tame with pre-amps etc.

very quick overview IMHO

• Like 1

Remember it’s how you pair with an onboard pre amp or external one is the key as well as your playing style, and I would say more than other basses they are sensitive to the strings used, you may het the best out of it with not your normal string choice.

There are other preamps like Noll they can put in, Noll is another German manufacturer and their pre-amps are a bit harsher and have more guts than Delano.

I will pick up on the MM pick up - it’s never meant to sound like a Ray pick up - it’s in a different place and does not have the same preamp - it’s there to add more clarity and cut to whatever is in the neck position

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Nowhere near Niagara. I’m in Calgary

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sweeneythebass said:

I’ve been window shopping lots of Sandberg VM’s and quite fancy one but am wondering how p-bass like is the split coil? I’m reading lots of different things about the pups

My VM4 has the Sandberg pups.  I also have a Fender PJ. The Berg's sound like the Fender pups but for me they don't have the exact same sound. I think the Fender sounds a bit warmer. Personally its not a big deal for me

The quality of the Berg bass is by far superior.

If its that Fender P sounding warmth that you're after more than a great quality bass then i'm not sure Berg will do it for you. 

I've no experience of any other Sandberg pick ups. Perhaps others will have a more in depth knowledge of the various Sandberg basses and what options might suit.

I'm currently thinking of a Fender P bass as i like that particular tone too but its taking me a while to find the right bass that plays as well as my VM4.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweeneythebass said:

I’ve been window shopping lots of Sandberg VM’s and quite fancy one but am wondering how p-bass like is the split coil? I’m reading lots of different things about the pups

I know some people may think it’s a hassle swapping pick ups out etc. And that the bass should be perfect without changing anything. Blah blah blah, but the Sandberg from choice of wood, treatment, fit and finish is absolutely supreme - this is your foundations, walls, roof, everything of your bass - changin the pick up is like popping a new boiler in (but less expensive!).

what you have is the best shell to do what you want, and you can sell on pick ups, if you wanted a specific set and sent it to them they would probably whack them in.

Aguilar do great vintage pick ups, Lollar, Lindy Fralins, EMG GZR, Ulyate Tic Tac, but my fave are Creamery 58 pick ups - U.K. made and stellar - so you could just whack them in and hey presto.

For my 2 pence worth - if you are after a classic P sound - do. It get a PJ (VT) or a VM bass - that little bit of wood routed away and probably some slight extra wiring just alters the sound enough even if you turn them off to move away from a P - Get a VS passive and pop a pick up of choice if what they provide is not your flavour

Just mu Opinion of course - but the bass is killer

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I know some people may think it’s a hassle swapping pick ups out etc. And that the bass should be perfect without changing anything. Blah blah blah, but the Sandberg from choice of wood, treatment, fit and finish is absolutely supreme - this is your foundations, walls, roof, everything of your bass - changin the pick up is like popping a new boiler in (but less expensive!).

what you have is the best shell to do what you want, and you can sell on pick ups, if you wanted a specific set and sent it to them they would probably whack them in.

Aguilar do great vintage pick ups, Lollar, Lindy Fralins, EMG GZR, Ulyate Tic Tac, but my fave are Creamery 58 pick ups - U.K. made and stellar - so you could just whack them in and hey presto.

For my 2 pence worth - if you are after a classic P sound - do. It get a PJ (VT) or a VM bass - that little bit of wood routed away and probably some slight extra wiring just alters the sound enough even if you turn them off to move away from a P - Get a VS passive and pop a pick up of choice if what they provide is not your flavour

Thanks @Cuzzie and @dmccombe7 great info 

8 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Get a VS passive and pop a pick up of choice if what they provide is not your flavour

I def like this idea. Fantastic VS4 bass and slot in some of those Creamery 58's which aren't too expensive and you have the perfect bass. Superbly made with the tone in my head.

You can pick up a VS4 for decent money on BC.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I quite like the 48 and TT4 colours. Not sure if its something i would buy tho.

Dave

That’s the thing with some of these designs - there’s the novelty factor but when they cost ££££ it’s unlikely to appeal to most folks. I guess if they only made a certain amount they only have to appeal to X amount of folk/fanboi’s!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I quite like the 48 and TT4 colours. Not sure if its something i would buy tho.

Dave

They should've used numbers 2,8,20 or 21 on the Gulf petroleum coloured "48". They're the Porsche 917s that dominated at LeMans during the early 70s.

GT40s are cool, but 917s are amazing. And Sandberg are German,  after all.

• Like 1