Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

I'd only buy a sparkly bass if i tried it first otherwise i might have gone for that Warwick Star bass for a laugh. 

Who knows where the band will end up with Covid taking its toll. We have a rehearsal on Sun to be fair but the longer this goes on the less enthusiasm i seem to have to keep practicing the songs.

I guess there are a few of us thinking along similar lines.

Dave

Hi all,

Just to jump on this thread to agree with everyone who says that Sandberg is amazing. Over ten years ago I went searching for my "last bass", the one that would see me through to the end of times. I went into every shop playing Fenders, MM, and the rest but nothing clicked. Long story short, one shop owner pointed me to a brand I'd never heard of called "Sandberg" and I fell in love with the range despite them looking so simliar to the other basses. It was the sound that drew me in. Speaking of sound, I was certain that the bass would be a MM style humbucker, but in the end, the California JJ (now TT) proved the most versatile and pleasant. I even narrowed it down to two seemingly identical JJs which sounded different enough that you could tell them apart in a blind test. As an aside, I realised then that buying instruments online is not for me.

Well, ten years have passed, and I've been true to my word in that no other basses have passed through my hands since (eagle eyed may see a different bass in my profile pic; I bought two basses that day!) Sometimes a little GAS has bubbled to the surface, but overall I'm satisfied that my search is over and resisting it has been relatively easy. At the time the bass(es) was a significant invesment, probably one I couldn't make now, but it's been a worthy one in my opinion.

The California JJ isn't an aged one, and this probably needs to be said that, while I'm no John Entwistle, the bass has been gigged and played extensively in that time and yet it looks as good as the day I bought it. In other words, if you buy a "shiny" Sandberg hoping it'll look aged after a few trips down the pub, then forget it: they're built like tanks.

Picture was taken yesterday next to my other old faithful of similar vintage: my Acoustic Image Coda III.

photo5789718814290719833.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chyc said:

Hi all,

Just to jump on this thread to agree with everyone who says that Sandberg is amazing. Over ten years ago I went searching for my "last bass", the one that would see me through to the end of times. I went into every shop playing Fenders, MM, and the rest but nothing clicked. Long story short, one shop owner pointed me to a brand I'd never heard of called "Sandberg" and I fell in love with the range despite them looking so simliar to the other basses. It was the sound that drew me in. Speaking of sound, I was certain that the bass would be a MM style humbucker, but in the end, the California JJ (now TT) proved the most versatile and pleasant. I even narrowed it down to two seemingly identical JJs which sounded different enough that you could tell them apart in a blind test. As an aside, I realised then that buying instruments online is not for me.

Well, ten years have passed, and I've been true to my word in that no other basses have passed through my hands since (eagle eyed may see a different bass in my profile pic; I bought two basses that day!) Sometimes a little GAS has bubbled to the surface, but overall I'm satisfied that my search is over and resisting it has been relatively easy. At the time the bass(es) was a significant invesment, probably one I couldn't make now, but it's been a worthy one in my opinion.

The California JJ isn't an aged one, and this probably needs to be said that, while I'm no John Entwistle, the bass has been gigged and played extensively in that time and yet it looks as good as the day I bought it. In other words, if you buy a "shiny" Sandberg hoping it'll look aged after a few trips down the pub, then forget it: they're built like tanks.

Picture was taken yesterday next to my other old faithful of similar vintage: my Acoustic Image Coda III.

photo5789718814290719833.jpg

Think i need to try a TT4. That is gorgeous. I always thought it might just sound like my Fender Jazz with an added active circuit included.

Does it provide the depth of a P pick up as my Fender J doesn't and therefore doesn't suit some bands i play in.

Dave

• Like 1

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Does it provide the depth of a P pick up as my Fender J doesn't and therefore doesn't suit some bands i play in.

Using just the neck pickup I'm satisfied that nobody but the geekiest bass-head would be able to tell the difference between my bass and an actual P bass. Once you've run through an amp/cab with a voice it's completly indistinguishable even to them!

If I had a Precision to hand I'd definitely be up for playing the same bass line on both, uploading both and seeing if people could tell which was which. Hmm, maybe I should buy myself a Precision ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chyc said:

Using just the neck pickup I'm satisfied that nobody but the geekiest bass-head would be able to tell the difference between my bass and an actual P bass. Once you've run through an amp/cab with a voice it's completly indistinguishable even to them!

If I had a Precision to hand I'd definitely be up for playing the same bass line on both, uploading both and seeing if people could tell which was which. Hmm, maybe I should buy myself a Precision ;)

That's good to know as its the depth that put me off the TT4 for the VM4. I just love a Jazz bass tho and its probably my fav bass to play. From what i've read the TT4 necks are a bit thinner than the VM4 so that would probably suit me more too.

That is one very nice bass tho. Liking that a lot.

Dave

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's good to know as its the depth that put me off the TT4 for the VM4. I just love a Jazz bass tho and its probably my fav bass to play. From what i've read the TT4 necks are a bit thinner than the VM4 so that would probably suit me more too.

That is one very nice bass tho. Liking that a lot.

Dave

Agree with @chyc and what they say, I will add that the MarloweDK is an awesome one to try, it really has the most phenomenal neck and a massive sound to boot

• Like 1

Not that i want a jazz to sound like a P bass but i like the depth of a P but the clarity of a J. I;ve tried the PJ configuration but it just doesn't do it for me. If my Fender J had a bit more depth it would be my perfect bass. I don't like changing things on a bass unless i need to. I'd rather buy a bass that fits my needs at that time. Currently the VM4 does what i want. Thinner neck would have helped a bit more tho.

Dave

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not that i want a jazz to sound like a P bass but i like the depth of a P but the clarity of a J. I;ve tried the PJ configuration but it just doesn't do it for me. If my Fender J had a bit more depth it would be my perfect bass. I don't like changing things on a bass unless i need to. I'd rather buy a bass that fits my needs at that time. Currently the VM4 does what i want. Thinner neck would have helped a bit more tho.

Dave

MarloweDK all the way then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I’ll add that my old TT that @DJ '65 has now got with Haüssel’s (passive) has massive balls and would defo pass for a P

Loved that Jon Snow...

As cuzzie has said, Jon Snow with the Haüssel pick ups does indeed have some thump. The neck pick up is close enough to a P in the mix and closer than the Delano’s in my other TT4. I’m am sure that a lot of you bass players (I’m more with the dark side for the most part and play six strings 😱) would be able to tell the difference. However to me it sounds as close if not closer than the reverse P in my VM4!

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

just to say that both of my TT4’s have deeper necks than my VM4, my old VS4 had a chunkier neck profile and ultimately that’s why I got rid of it.

• Like 1

It looks ace, I wonder if having the strap button on the now upper horn would hang better and bring the headstock back closer to the player? If so I’d be down for that because they were the 2 things that put me off when I tried a couple ☹️

• Like 2