Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

2 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

So...I've been trying out new basses recently and realised I like humbuckers at the bridge - just the tight focused are over the bridge works for me. Enter my Electra, I really like it but it is just a solo P pickup but could I add a Humbucker to it to make it a budget VM4? I've dropped Sandberg an email to see if I can buy some bits from them to make this a reality. Would also like to reverse the P pickup so it is really like a VM4 compared to it's more standard set up currently.

Could be fun 

Could be cool - I would square rout the P pick up so you could reverse the P and get a new pickguard cut to cover it.

As for emailing Sandberg - depends what you want/need. Their black label pick ups are on Rockinger for sale, but the world is your oyster with pick ups and preamp!

• Like 1

Read through most of this thread the past few days, I think I'm really GAS'ing for my own as a result! I have a pal with a 6-string T-Series, doesn't seem to be many of them about but it is very nice indeed.

Couple questions maybe you guys could shed some light on, I'm sure I'll be in touch with them at some point in the future! - 

Are the "painted" ones finished with nitro? I would assume the relic'd ones are? As awesome as their relic work is I dunno if I could suffer the upcharge... At least if it was finished in nitro anyway it would age nicely in time.

Seems they can do a few things out-with the configurator - Anyone any experience of getting a custom colour? Really like this pink one MarloweDK has. 

Seen a couple with a reverse headstock too, an acquired taste for sure but I think it looks very cool. Awesome to have so many options.

maxresdefault.jpg

Configure a bass, save the code generated, email Sandberg with tweaks, see where it goes, they can accommodate most things, but there will be upcharges, and yes they do light relic through to masterpiece and of course no relic

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 2

I've had a custom colur on a VS4.  Very easy (bought through Classic & Cool).  Sandberg send colour swatches and you pick the one you want.  By colour swatches I mean a whole book of them not just half a dozen.

1629568942_VS-4Custom01LR.thumb.jpg.ded8a3aca720de91bddd37de168b996b.jpg

I don't thing they do nitro but not sure tbh as never asked.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, ead said:

I've had a custom colur on a VS4.  Very easy (bought through Classic & Cool).  Sandberg send colour swatches and you pick the one you want.  By colour swatches I mean a whole book of them not just half a dozen.

That's very nice. 👍

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Configure a bass, save the code generated, email Sandberg with tweaks, see where it goes, they can accommodate most things, but there will be upcharges, and yes they do light relic through to masterpiece and of course no relic

I did exactly what Cuzzie described.

I used all the options on the configurator, and in the email I asked if they could do the reversed headstock and binding in addition to all that. The answer was positive with additional questions from Sandberg regarding the color of the binding and dot markings on the neck side.

After few more emails about the possibilities of drop D tuner (which was not feasible), they came out with a price, and we agreed about the dealer because Sandberg does not do direct sales. 

And then came the waiting....

• Like 3

So emailed Alan at Synergy Distribution regarding my upgrade idea and he gave me a breakdown of what I would need.

New Black Label pickups: £250

New Scratchplate: £39

New Preamp: £135 

So £424 all in + Labour is probably another £100.

I was a bit surprised I would need a new preamp, I thought I could just add another volume to the existing 2 band preamp that is in the Electra. Since I am willing to spend some money a couple of routes that I see -

Do the upgrades since I do like the feel of the bass and they would only make it better

Buy a new bass with a Humbucker set up

Sell the Electra and save a bit more for a California VM4

• Like 2

You'll get a VM4 but it won't have the Black Labels as standard. Can't say i've seen one fitted with them.

Its the VM4 i have and its a fantastic bass to be honest. 

A good condition VM4 2nd hand will typically cost £1000 upwards. Mine was £1200.

Not sure what you paid for your VS4 but additional £500 to get the bass exactly as you want it doesn't seem so bad.

Of course you could sell the VS4 to help finance the VM4.

Some hard decisions needed i think but good luck with what you decide on.

Dave

• Like 2

On 11/10/2020 at 09:13, ead said:

That is smashing bud, whats the nut size on that ? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

@dmccombe7 is it just the Sandberg branded pickups in your VM4? I assume you like them?

I like the tone of the P in my VS4 so not adverse to getting the Sandberg MM pickup if it cuts the cost of this endeavour. 

Yes standard Sandnerg pick ups in mine And i quite like them. Never heard the Black Labels but @Cuzzie swears by them and he's my font of all Sandberg knowledge and was a huge help to me when i first started looking at Sandbergs.  He did also stress that its all down to personal taste. 

I play in a 70's Glam covers band so the VM4 covers everything from Alice Cooper thru Sweet, Mud, Slade and even Bay City Rollers and it's pretty versatile. Its also a comfortable bass to play for extended sets due to weight and neck feel. Some basses i get cramp if playing too long but not with the VM4.

Bass and amp run almost flat with pick up selector mid point. Amp runs with bass just a touch boost mid a touch cut and treble a touch boost. (Mesa Mpulse 600 into Mesa 212 cab) Bass if anything during certain gigs i might give the bass a little extra nudge but not much.

Turning to full P pick up it gives a good typical P sound IMO. Never compared against a Fender P bass. 

Think for me i would like to try a Maple fretboard version as i tend to prefer the tone from them. They have a little more zing than the rosewood type. Again that's just personal preference.. 

Hope that helps a bit. I'd suggest trying them in Guitar Guitar if you can.

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

You'll get a VM4 but it won't have the Black Labels as standard. Can't say i've seen one fitted with them.

Its the VM4 i have and its a fantastic bass to be honest. 

A good condition VM4 2nd hand will typically cost £1000 upwards. Mine was £1200.

Not sure what you paid for your VS4 but additional £500 to get the bass exactly as you want it doesn't seem so bad.

Of course you could sell the VS4 to help finance the VM4.

Some hard decisions needed i think but good luck with what you decide on.

Dave

I have the VM4 Reidel which has them fitted as standard. Would recommend!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yes standard Sandnerg pick ups in mine And i quite like them. Never heard the Black Labels but @Cuzzie swears by them and he's my font of all Sandberg knowledge and was a huge help to me when i first started looking at Sandbergs.  He did also stress that its all down to personal taste. 

I play in a 70's Glam covers band so the VM4 covers everything from Alice Cooper thru Sweet, Mud, Slade and even Bay City Rollers and it's pretty versatile. Its also a comfortable bass to play for extended sets due to weight and neck feel. Some basses i get cramp if playing too long but not with the VM4.

Bass and amp run almost flat with pick up selector mid point. Amp runs with bass just a touch boost mid a touch cut and treble a touch boost. (Mesa Mpulse 600 into Mesa 212 cab) Bass if anything during certain gigs i might give the bass a little extra nudge but not much.

Turning to full P pick up it gives a good typical P sound IMO. Never compared against a Fender P bass. 

Think for me i would like to try a Maple fretboard version as i tend to prefer the tone from them. They have a little more zing than the rosewood type. Again that's just personal preference.. 

Hope that helps a bit. I'd suggest trying them in Guitar Guitar if you can.

Dave

Cheers!!!

As a very broad generalisation, Delano’s are more ‘hi-fi’ (not sterile though), Sandbergs more of a tilt towards vintage sounding but modern enough, Black labels - more punch to them, a real little jab to the guts (in a good way) and slightly higher output.

None of them are a bad option, the Black labels go very well with the Superlight basses, as the lightweight need a little more ‘mass‘.

The Sandbergs in my MarloweDK for me are perfect - fine on their own, enough poke to make any preamp/preamp pedal come alive but subtle enough to allow sound sculpting, as opposed to for example G&L MFD pick ups which are so powerful, they are difficult to tame, Black labels are not in this category.

Delano’s are their to allow you to sculpt also, but will always be a bit more modern sounding.

When I had my VS4 with Sandberg big pole pick up, passive, it was great, but wasn’t quite there - not sure if it was the pick up or the whole package, put it with the M pick up on a VM - different kettle of fish - great combination, really gives that clarity to allow the P biased sound to cut through, which is where it wins IMHO

Sorry I can’t be more specific, but hopefully it gives you a sonic territory to go with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bankai said:

I have the VM4 Reidel which has them fitted as standard. Would recommend!

Cant understand what he's saying but that bass makes great noises!

Maybe I just hold off and save my pennies for this. If I was going new I would probably go relic so this model would be the most sensible option for what I'm looking for! Really appreciate all the insight though, will prove helpful for others wondering about Sandbergs. 

• Like 2

Final nail in the coffin for my VS4 upgrade idea. Sandberg got back to me saying the VS4 pickup was not designed to be used in a VM4 set up. So two answers and neither saying its a straightforward upgrade it would be an expensive project which wouldn't be reflected in a sale price. 

Just saving the pennies then 😅

Edited by BassApprentice
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Cant understand what he's saying but that bass makes great noises!

Maybe I just hold off and save my pennies for this. If I was going new I would probably go relic so this model would be the most sensible option for what I'm looking for! Really appreciate all the insight though, will prove helpful for others wondering about Sandbergs. 

Since trying a VM4 ten years ago, it’s the Bass I’ve sought after ever since. And when I looked at them all that time ago I decided I’d want a hardcore aged black with black hardware.

Fast forward to now, and they happened to bring out exactly that as an off the shelf model in the form of the Reidel signature. Perfect! And it’s a bonus I really love that band!

I dropped an audio sample of it in this thread a few pages back.

7E800100-3D91-49F2-BCA3-BB6AE2CF51D0.thumb.jpeg.656f2bb7fbb8f867453f716ffd3c0486.jpeg2F4A9AE5-FE0F-4970-A2E2-B844C044CA2E.thumb.jpeg.7c333b68c7b9f7ceed378b454247811f.jpegFCF6D9A7-524D-4D55-A00C-D6B17BFEB9EC.thumb.jpeg.bb90f23de4335d2f5bca805dcc94ec84.jpeg

Edited by Bankai
  • Like 4