Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Bet that sounds thunderous in a P bass.

It does sound good and for my ear the sweet spot is about four click (it’s a notched pot so each position is recallable) from the darkest setting.

I did this a while back which you may find useful...

And thanks @mcnach for giving it back 😀

Edited by krispn
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, krispn said:

It does sound good and for my ear the sweet spot is about four click (it’s a notched pot so each position is recallable) from the darkest setting.

That sounds good. Quite growling around the mid frequencies. I liked 3-5 settings with 3 probably my first choice but in a band setting i might take it up a couple of notches to cut thru a mix.

11 hours ago, krispn said:

I still wake up some mornings thinking "damn you honesty, I should have kept it, and leave the country and be happy ever after in a desert island with that bass, somewhere nobody could ever find me mwah ha ha ha"

😛

Seriously now... I've met some really nice generous characters through this forum and you're definitely right up there. Thank you. Although I should have cursed you now that I think about it, you've cost me so much money!!! :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That sounds good. Quite growling around the mid frequencies. I liked 3-5 settings with 3 probably my first choice but in a band setting i might take it up a couple of notches to cut thru a mix.

That was my take too when I had that bass in my hands. I think my favourite spot was one notch off @krispn's favourite. Exactly which one may depend on the context of the band, of course. I also liked very much the sound one notch off the limit, it is very bassy but very present still... a much better take on passive tone controls than the usual pot/cap combo.

Kind words, thanks 🙂

It’s the added versatility the TS brings especially to a single pick up bass and in this instance I have a nice brighter ‘clank’ should I need it but also that lower mids thing and even that deeper, tone off type sound but with a little something added. I have a HPF/LPF pedal too where the LPF can basically act like a passive tone knob should I need it so I do have the added flexibility of a ‘passive tone roll off’ too which I’ve found useful when experimenting. 

Thinking of the TS as a passive on board eq might be a bit of a grandiose suggestion but that’s kinda how I look at it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mcnach said:

That was my take too when I had that bass in my hands. I think my favourite spot was one notch off @krispn's favourite. Exactly which one may depend on the context of the band, of course. I also liked very much the sound one notch off the limit, it is very bassy but very present still... a much better take on passive tone controls than the usual pot/cap combo.

I also like the idea of your tone being pre-selected which means its easily repeatable. Why has this not the norm for passive basses. Surely its not expensive to change one pot to one like this. 

Dave

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I also like the idea of your tone being pre-selected which means its easily repeatable. Why has this not the norm for passive basses. Surely its not expensive to change one pot to one like this. 

Dave

Repeatable is not always a good thing.

Turn up to the same venue you might think you want exactly the same settings. But if on the 2nd visit your strings are now old and there's another 50 people in the room sucking up reflections then you need different settings.

That being said I do want to try one.

9 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Repeatable is not always a good thing.

Turn up to the same venue you might think you want exactly the same settings. But if on the 2nd visit your strings are now old and there's another 50 people in the room sucking up reflections then you need different settings.

That being said I do want to try one.

Don't you put fresh strings on for every gig ?😜

• Haha 1

First gig with the Sandberg out of the way...

I'm not winning any beauty contests, but the bass looks nice ;)

IMG_20190929_004341.jpg?dl=1

It was really really good.I was wondering how I'd find it in "real life" as sometimes basses sounded great at home and even at rehearsal, but then in the noisy louder environment of a gig I would struggle sometimes to find the right sounds... Not a worry. I ended up mostly using the P on its own, or backed off a little to add a *bit* of the MM, with both tone controls close to flat (I'd back off the treble a quarter turn for a couple of slap-rich songs, which reduces the mighty growl of the P) and although I experimented a bit, the basic 3 sounds I wanted were all there easily.

Really comfortable, I love that neck. One thing  that I noticed was how much I could feel the body vibrate. Curious.

I had a great soundcheck: I was out in the street for a bit, and when I came back I was the last one needed to linecheck before we checked as a band. I was (momentarily) in a bad mood (short-lived, due to some random drunk), and my playing for linecheck reflected that: aggressive, fast, fingerstyle and slap... it sounded glorious!!! I started smiling immediately. :)

Strings... I have not replaced them yet. I think I still will, but I've played this bass a LOT this past week and they've finally lost that annoying brittle zing they used to have. Not bad. Not bad at all. I almost don't have the urge to replace them anymore and I might keep them for a month or two and see.

I have not yet removed the plastic film from the pickguard (too much hassle as I'd have to undo the controls, since I hate leaving bits of plastic underneath that you can often feel when turning the knobs)... but I'll have to do it now. Interesting to see where my thumb rests the most...

IMG_20190929_140943055.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20190929_140956301.jpg?dl=1

• Like 9

Great wee review of a gorgeous looking bass. Like the maple necks as you seem to get more "twang", "zing" not exactly sure what you call it but its definitely there. 

I'm with you on the strings. Very zingy at first and then they just fall into a great mid-based tone and i use them until i feel them tightening up a bit on the bass then time to change. They aren't too expensive either and they seem to last me about 3 mths with me playing mostly at home for 1-2 hrs a day and rehearsals every 1-2 weeks with gigs as and when we can. 

Def my fav bass at moment and i'm slowly selling off my other basses. Just a Fender PJ and an Overwater J4 (not a Tanglewood version tho) and i'll be left with just 4 decent basses. I'll then add a VS4 i reckon or maybe another VM4 with maple to because i really like the Sandberg quality and sound at the moment.

I blame Cuzzie for all this Sandberg GAS :laugh1: 

Dave 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Nice! From the photo of you playing live I thought it was a fiesta red-ish colour. Imagine my surprise when I scrolled down! Looks lovely.

Yes, it's a very bright metallic orange as in the pictures that I took of it, but under stage lights it can sometimes look red. I like it :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DJ '65 said:

Excellent that you put that beauty to use so quickly, looks great and it suits you! I think the protective film can go now though.

Ha! Thank you, and yes, the film will go before the next gig. :D

It's a shame I'm going through a very calm period gig-wise. I used to play nearly every weekend... BUt I'm busy with rehearsal and practices, getting together writing new material with two bands, etc, so I do get to play a lot still.

A video from last weekend, first gig on the Sandberg... excuse me my looking bored, I was not, but I was struggling due to lack of sleep for several nights and it was after 1am already. In fact the whole band looks a bit stiff compared to our usual, and we were missing one guitar (and sax!)...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

A video from last weekend, first gig on the Sandberg... excuse me my looking bored, I was not, but I was struggling due to lack of sleep for several nights and it was after 1am already. In fact the whole band looks a bit stiff compared to our usual, and we were missing one guitar (and sax!)...

Nah that is looking and sounding good m, the whole band and not just the bass.

You guitarist is a giant tho. That guitar looks tiny in his hands

• Like 1
  • Haha 2