Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

@dannybuoy i think we get fooled that because it looks like an MM pick up, it has to be in the same place as a Stingray bass, and it should sound like a stingray if solo’d. Absolutely this is not the point of that bass configuration, and it is not the way it has been wired for sound either. Both the position and the relative ‘weakness’ of sound as some people call it of the MM is entirely intentional as it is there to blend with the J or P pick up. Even within the sig models that are VM/TM the M is positioned differently to a standard version ever so slightly.

Now the sound may or may not be to someone’s liking anyway, but I wouldn’t say that an MM pick ups ‘natural’ place is in the Ray position, as the Basic  shows that it works on its own out of Ray territory

I don’t actually have much personal experience of Rays first hand so as far as the tone of the Solo’d MM pickup I don’t have a particular frame of reference.

What I will say though is that it isn’t only useful as a blending option with the P - it’s actually an incredibly useful sound in its own right. I’ve found myself playing along to tracks with a dense mix of instruments and soloing the MM has given me the perfect starting tone that cuts through the mix better than any other pup setting.

• Like 3

The pickup is indeed a bit further north than a Ray, plus I've got flats on it, which results in a mellower sound. It was the Vulfpeck 'It Gets Funkier' vid that drove me to find a bass with that sound, and that's what exactly I got!

David Caraccio from the video above has a custom gold Basic also with the MM pup in what looks like the actual Stingray position plus an added J pickup really close to the bridge!

1 hour ago, ead said:

Yeah i did the same on mine.  The Sandberg black control knobs are not the greatest for instant visibility in a gig setting.

I don't look at knobs, I just feel them. Wait, that sounded wrong.

Most bass knobs have no markers on them, so I just give them a quick twiddle to see how far they are from the end of travel or the center detent if there is one. Wouldn't want to be picking up my bass and holding it up to my face squinting!

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

@Opticaleye you know I have an Umbo fetish and this is doing it no good!

I think that it's me that has the Umbo fetish!

All I need now is a nice California II Umbo and my collection would be complete. They really conjure up all of the classic passive tones from P to J and even semi acoustic O.o. I use the Motown setting a lot but the Jaco setting not so much (although it's on another level).

26 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@Opticaleye you are right, I think mine is a wannabe, which makes you sort of a hero for me.

That and a Forty Eight would be peachy 

:shok: I don't think that accidentally owning something should qualify me for "sort of hero" status. @FacStudio deserves the hat tip I think.

I tried an Umbo in PMT when they first came out and thought it sounded nasal and horrible. I traded another Sandberg (a TM4) for the HCA white Umbo and realised that the Sandberg strings don't go too well with the Alnico II pickups and, through trial and error, have found strings that bring the best out of them. I've disliked every new one I've tried in shops (even when taking delivery of my Marley Blue order) for this reason.

• Like 1

Love the Seafoam green ones....

However the thing that brought me here was the thread title - it's been driving me (and my OCD/Pedantry) crazy for days..."Sandberg appreciation scociety"

Please, please, please amend the spelling...

Image result for pull your hair out gif

Edited by TheGreek
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Love the Seafoam green ones....

However the thing that brought me here was the thread title - it's been driving me (and my OCD/Pedantry) crazy for days..."Sandberg appreciation scociety"

Please, please, please amend the spelling...

Image result for pull your hair out gif

Hahah, no problem.

The funny thing is i actually spell checked "appreciation" prior to posting!

oh, and its "Surf" green. not seafoam :biggrin: