Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

6 minutes ago, DJ '65 said:

The KT is an awesome bass for sure, I keep thinking of selling mine as I mainly play my TT4 in a blues/ rock trio. I’ve never seen another with a kind of flamed ash finish!

351F0EE6-C97F-40EC-BE90-FE574108F0EA.jpeg

87B028F9-4890-4912-B3E9-4B380F9C8A56.jpeg

45618C8D-B6F6-4693-8C32-ACE978356FF1.jpeg

C59423F3-BDCC-4F9B-B82A-1153DB118BF2.jpeg

C117B0B6-F719-487A-B039-86B5D79B2B67.jpeg

EC2F9432-6C66-45F9-822A-B396642D0999.jpeg

0B2B30FC-62BC-4382-A1EB-655B416AF7C1.jpeg

It’s the Don.....🤦🏾‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevieE said:

My little collection! I'm a huge Sandberg fan, the build quality is exceptional, I love the fret board radius & zero fret, the hardware is very very good, particularly the tuners on the TT, super smooth and very accurate. 

(left to right) -

'16 TT4 Passive - Swamp Ash gloss finish + pearl block inlays. I've had to have a slight neck reshape done to this one as it was a little fat on the shoulders. This one's very light and sounds beautiful. Very pure if that makes sense... 

'14 Classic Special - Mahogany with Bubinga top, pearl dots + Delano pups. Stunning build and playability. The pups are very hifi but it sounded perfect in the neo soul band I was in a few years back. Didn't work at all for the funk & soul band I joined after, hence the passive TT! 

'05 Basic Ken Taylor - Ash body. This has also had a neck reshape prior to my ownership, whoever did it was a genius. The sound is massive, loads of tonal variation, if anything it's a little too complex for me, but it plays like a dream. 

IMG_20190425_142925.jpg

That's a beaut in the middle right enough. Fantastic rich looking colour.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Thanks 1

On 24/04/2019 at 15:56, dmccombe7 said:

I value the expert knowledge across the BC group. You can be sure you'll get a balanced and more important an honest opinion from people on here. I know a lot of that is down to personal taste but if you find others with similar tastes or views then it helps you make that big decision if changing things around.

Is that not what BC is all about. Helping each other along the road of bass. ?

Dave

I thought it was about helping each other empty our pockets on bass related stuff...

It certainly is like that for me. There I was, minding my own business, reasonably happy with my gear, until I discovered BC. My expenditure skyrocketted after that. 

But I do enjoy what I discovered along the way ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Say wht you want about relicing but this is the nuts....

T1.thumb.jpg.ec38ffa56bca2424b40eb8d6aad9d4fa.jpg

It is a top job, but the relic concept doesn't fit with Sandbergs IMHO. It works on Fenders because there are old basses around that actually look like that, so a well reliced Fender could pass for a real vintage instrument. Dressing up a model that has only just been released as something from the 60s just looks out of place!

I love the relic job on my VT4.

1583692200_T2(2).jpg.f881be21a2a299cecd6a29db2f33a662.jpg

I totally get why a lot of folks aren't into it, and normally when I buy an instrument I spend ages meticously checking it over for imperfections but when I saw this at Bass direct I totally fell for it.

Though I have to say the Delano pups look a bit out of place on it , would have preferred black label.

I've just ordered a Sandberg VM4. I went for their 'soft aged' finish purely because of the cost. I'm not a fan of the relic thing, although when done well it doesn't put me off either, and Sandberg does do it very well. 

My first choice was a solid colour, high gloss finish. Unfortunately it's not one of their normal colours, so it would add £525 to the price. Now, I liked that colour, but not THAT much. So I asked about the nearest alternative, which happened to be a metallic colour they do do, but only on aged finishes. I asked about getting it 'not aged'. It was possible, but at a cost, because again, for high gloss, it means more work. For an aged finish, they don't need to get it perfectly flat and nice before they 'age' it... so it's like an in-between level of effort and the time it takes. So I got the order in specifying "very light soft aged pretty please" or something along those lines :D

Sandberg is the only company that has made me thought "hmmm, yummy" about their aged instruments. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

It is a top job, but the relic concept doesn't fit with Sandbergs IMHO. It works on Fenders because there are old basses around that actually look like that, so a well reliced Fender could pass for a real vintage instrument. Dressing up a model that has only just been released as something from the 60s just looks out of place!

Erm.....the company has been around over 30 years

i reckon a bass that old could look that beat up

Yep

Established 1986

Hölger was a piano maker first but has been repairing and putting together guitars for many years before that.

I reckon things he has built/touched would have ‘patina’

yep the new shape is from 2015, but plenty of other shapes been around for years

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1