Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

On 28/06/2022 at 17:15, Reggaebass said:

There’s a nice California on Bassbros at the moment, great colour 

803D9C2E-DD37-43DA-B373-7892C3BA0F84.png

This was for sale on this forum before there, at an awesome cost, I imagine they sold it for hundreds more!  Can't believe someone didn't buy it from here.

Edited by thedontcarebear
  • Like 1

On 30/07/2022 at 15:25, warwickhunt said:

I've put the slimmest of shims in 2 of my 3 Sandberg basses in order that I can get the action down as low as 'I' want but leaving me with 1mm under the G saddle to set the curve.  I can get it as low as most people would want without the shim but I'm finicky and want it my way.  

When I say the slimmest of shims it is the thinnest card I could find... a piece of paper folded over might have done it.  ;)  

Sandberg are defo not the only ones guilty of this, I've known USA Musicman basses that I've needed to do it to and they are normally great at sorting fit/finish.  We won't even mention F3nd3r as I've seen shims from the factory that were as thick as a plastic credit card... in fact I've known folks cut up old store cards to shim some necks.   :)  

What did you use to shim the necks ?

Dave

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

iirc I had a packet from 'guitar' strings... skinnier than the packets for BASS strings.  ;)

Was it the plastic or cardboard that you used.

ideally i need to raise the neck approx 1 - 1.5mm to give me some spare adjustment on the E saddle.

Edited by dmccombe7

Cardboard.  

You don't put in the equivalent shim thickness to the amount you want it raised; a thin piece of card 1cm wide and the width of the neck, inserted into the very heel of the pocket will give you more than enough.  You aren't trying to raise the whole neck but add a little bit of angle which gives you the extra height over the whole adjustment.  

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

Cardboard.  

You don't put in the equivalent shim thickness to the amount you want it raised; a thin piece of card 1cm wide and the width of the neck, inserted into the very heel of the pocket will give you more than enough.  You aren't trying to raise the whole neck but add a little bit of angle which gives you the extra height over the whole adjustment.  

I watched a few vid clips on shimming and its taken me a little while to get my head round why you just shim the very back of the neck rather than the full neck pocket but i get it now.

Any idea what thickness you might be talking about or is it a trial and error thing.

You work out the thickness at the back of the pocket... (or the shim angle) by the amount you wish to raise at the bridge...

Think of it as a right angle triangle from the front of the pocket to the saddles... the hypotenuse being the strings...

Then think of a small triangle (shim) that sits just in the neck pocket... to give the same angle.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I watched a few vid clips on shimming and its taken me a little while to get my head round why you just shim the very back of the neck rather than the full neck pocket but i get it now.

Any idea what thickness you might be talking about or is it a trial and error thing.

If you are only 1 - 1.5mm off what you literally need a piece of thin card almost bordering on thick drawing paper.  Actually, looking on my coffee table for reference you'd be thinking along the lines of the cover on a soft back book... Peter V Brett 'The Painted Man' if you must know!  LOL  In 'the old days' you'd be talking the thickness of a fag packet which might be too thick in your case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

If you are only 1 - 1.5mm off what you literally need a piece of thin card almost bordering on thick drawing paper.  Actually, looking on my coffee table for reference you'd be thinking along the lines of the cover on a soft back book... Peter V Brett 'The Painted Man' if you must know!  LOL  In 'the old days' you'd be talking the thickness of a fag packet which might be too thick in your case.

I get what you mean. Think i'll try this at the weekend as no gigs and the bass needs some new strings. Looks like a plan is starting.

Many thanks for the advice.

Dave

Ideally you want something that won't get compressed over time. When I did some research it seemed the ideal was a piece of maple veneer shaped/sanded down from 1.5mm (or whatever) at the pickup end to nothing at the headstock end of the pocket but covering the whole neck pocket area so you don't 'staircase' the neck:

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/the-perils-of-bad-neck-shims

You can get a maple veneer sample for a quid or so online and sand it down - I did that on a fretless I've got and it worked a treat. You can get different thicknesses of maple veneer depending on how much you want, but 1.5mm seemed good. Or you can get premade shims from stewmac.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There seems to be different thoughts on shimming whereby if its shimmed at one end (stepping effect) you lose some of the sustain from the neck thru the body because you've reduced the contact area slightly.

Others say it makes no difference to the sound from the bass.

I'll have a look at maple veneer sample idea and check out the link you've posted.

Cheers

Dave

23 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Yes, I wouldn't have thought that would make much difference, I was more thinking of the damage to the neck over time. A bass is for life - not just for christmas!

Yes the more i read up on it the more serious issues around shimming is that it can warp the neck and i've seen some examples on line. 

I've contacted Sandberg to see if they can offer advice on it and if they can supply a shim specifically for this bass.

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

There seems to be different thoughts on shimming whereby if its shimmed at one end (stepping effect) you lose some of the sustain from the neck thru the body because you've reduced the contact area slightly.

Others say it makes no difference to the sound from the bass.

I'll have a look at maple veneer sample idea and check out the link you've posted.

Cheers

Dave

Honestly, I've shimmed a few basses in my time and I never noticed any problems. I think while the concern makes sense mechanically, in practice it must be negligible.

I used thin card, like the one business cards are made from, sometimes even thinner. You really don't need much, just a 1cm wide strip placed at the bottom of the neck pocket will have a small but noticeable effect.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2022 at 09:42, thedontcarebear said:

This was for sale on this forum before there, at an awesome cost, I imagine they sold it for hundreds more!  Can't believe someone didn't buy it from here.

That's a nice bass, but I just cannot, and never have been able to, get past the headstocks. 

They are genuinely my most hated headstock in all of bassdom (and there are some strange ones). Which is a shame, because I'm sure they're great basses.

Si

Finally got round to shimming my MarloweDK neck. Used a 1cm wide strip of a business card which was 0.33mm thick. That gave me enough for my needs but only just. I was able to straighten the neck a little more without getting fret buzz and string height is now around 1.8mm. I'm more than happy with that so many thanks to all for the advice and the Marlowe now feels a lot easier to play and more like my Geddy Jazz with regards feel.

I'm a very happy bunny again.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have to say i wasn't impressed with Sandberg response ........ nothing at all. ???

I think something has changed recently. I have previously had fantastic comms from them but in the previous two emails I've sent to them I've been ghosted.  Customer service is important to me and if it isn't there there's no reason I feel I should pay the premium for a particular brand that's historically been known for it.

Such a shame.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chyc said:

I think something has changed recently. I have previously had fantastic comms from them but in the previous two emails I've sent to them I've been ghosted.  Customer service is important to me and if it isn't there there's no reason I feel I should pay the premium for a particular brand that's historically been known for it.

Such a shame.

100% agree. 

Yep, same here. I've been used to have great communication with them for years and nobody answered my former mail.

So, maybe here I can have an answer ?

I've received my custom order bass wich is great but I've noticed something regarding strings.

I play with Sandberg strings 048/120 (5S) and it's what I asked in my order.

The strings are, for sure, 048/120 but they don't look like Sandberg strings. The end of the strings (wich goes into tne machine head) is cover by black nylon. Usely, Sandberg strings are without any nylon...

Did anybody noticed this too ?

BTW the strings sound very good and that's why I'd like to know what they are ;)

• Like 1

Without boring you all with technical jargon (SPF, DKIM,DMARC) There are various reasons your email may not be being delivered - or may have been delivered to spam/quarantine.

I would always follow an email up with a phone call these days if I haven’t received a response.

Edited by tegs07
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

It isn’t like them

there may be a valid reason

Over a week ago i emailed them thru their website and no response. Bit disappointed but its not the end of the world.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7