Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

as others have said, the weight is probably quite a bit higher than the new ones.

So as not to scare people off, I own an older model, and I don't even notice its weight when gigging, probably because it balances so well.

One thing that springs to mind as to why it's so expensive is the lead time on buying a new Sandberg direct from them: you'll be waiting months. The cost might reflect that as soon as you buy it the bass is in your hands ready to play (so to speak).

Saying that, there's one in stock at Thomann, at a price a whisker cheaper than when bought direct: https://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_california_ii_tt4_rw_orm_hca.htm . If it were me I'd choose the one from Bass Gallery as it's cheaper in absolute terms and you know you like it. When I bought my California I narrowed the choice down to two instruments, and they were both "identical" according to specs. They sounded different enough that I could pick them out with my eyes shut, wife too. Perhaps things are more uniform now everything's CNC?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chyc said:

One thing that springs to mind as to why it's so expensive is the lead time on buying a new Sandberg direct from them: you'll be waiting months. The cost might reflect that as soon as you buy it the bass is in your hands ready to play (so to speak).

Saying that, there's one in stock at Thomann, at a price a whisker cheaper than when bought direct: https://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_california_ii_tt4_rw_orm_hca.htm . If it were me I'd choose the one from Bass Gallery as it's cheaper in absolute terms and you know you like it. When I bought my California I narrowed the choice down to two instruments, and they were both "identical" according to specs. They sounded different enough that I could pick them out with my eyes shut, wife too. Perhaps things are more uniform now everything's CNC?

That's a Cali 2

The used is an original shape.

I'd buy the new shape personally. Lot more comfortable to me.

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Pretty sure vibrations was pre 2015 as well

MarloweDK has it as standard in its set up and I gots me an old shape one

What is the difference between pre/post 2015 on the MarloweDK basses... simple terms that a layman like me can spot.  :)  

8 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

What is the difference between pre/post 2015 on the MarloweDK basses... simple terms that a layman like me can spot.  :)  

Body shape is very different.

Old one is like a Fender Jazz. New one is much smaller.

the MDK models are just TT models with a slightly different neck and more of a 1970s pickup position.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

That's a Cali 2

The used is an original shape.

I'd buy the new shape personally. Lot more comfortable to me.

Yes, different shape so even more reason to go with what you've played and liked. I've never played a new one so cannot say which one I prefer, but the old one I own is fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to give a big shout out to Sandberg for their awesome customer service. Earlier in the year I bought a B stock Lionel in none more black finish from Thomann and it wasn't until I'd had it a while that I noticed that it was missing the 4 dots in a square logo on the front of the body, kinda their trademark I guess. It didn't really worry me and I assumed that it was maybe because the bass was a B stock. Anyway, curiosity eventually got the better of me so I emailed them and asked if they were missing because of the bass being a B stock and if it was possible to buy a set of dots to retrofit myself. A day or so later I get an apology from one of the Sandberg guys and the promise that he'd send me some free of charge! I emailed back to say that would be great but as I'm in the UK I'd be more than happy to cover costs as it's hardly economical shipping something so small from Germany, but they wouldn't have it! The postman has just delivered an envelope containing 2 sets of silver dots. I appreciate that in the grand scheme of things this is trivial, but how's that for customer service? 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Agreed. In the brief spells that I've owned a couple of Sandbergs I have had excellent and speedy responses to any questions...

👍

The mind boggles as to what you asked them...

• Haha 1

I'm gonna put my MarloweDK in at some point to get the string height a bit lower. I've tried all i can think off but the E string saddle is bottomed out with just a very slight lift with the screws to keep saddle flat of the base. G string much the same.

Neck is almost straight with very slight curve. If i lower any more i get string buzz. If i make the neck any straighter i get fret buzz at 4th / 5th frets. 

String height at 12th fret on E is approx 2.2 - 2.3mm. 

My VM4 and Geddy Jazz are 1.5mm and i can feel the benefits with that little lower action.

Dont get me wrong i'm gigging with the Marlowe and it sounds great in the punk band but i just feel it should have a better action than it does.

Action was 3mm on 12fret E string when i got it. 

I think it either needs shimmed which surprises me as it must have been like that when it left Sandberg or something done to lower the saddle heights but not sure that's possible ?

I'll let an expert sort it out. I'll use Chris from McIntyre Guitars in Edinburgh. I've already mentioned my P bass issue but he was very busy at the time so i decided to hang off a bit.

Dave

I've put the slimmest of shims in 2 of my 3 Sandberg basses in order that I can get the action down as low as 'I' want but leaving me with 1mm under the G saddle to set the curve.  I can get it as low as most people would want without the shim but I'm finicky and want it my way.  

When I say the slimmest of shims it is the thinnest card I could find... a piece of paper folded over might have done it.  ;)  

Sandberg are defo not the only ones guilty of this, I've known USA Musicman basses that I've needed to do it to and they are normally great at sorting fit/finish.  We won't even mention F3nd3r as I've seen shims from the factory that were as thick as a plastic credit card... in fact I've known folks cut up old store cards to shim some necks.   :)  

• Thanks 1

I just bought a second hand electra and I played it on a gig the same night. Probably one of the best jazz basses I’ve played. The neck and fretwork is amazing. Super even sounding and I can get a very low action.  I have ordered a German TT that will be ready sometime this fall and I can’t wait!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I've put the slimmest of shims in 2 of my 3 Sandberg basses in order that I can get the action down as low as 'I' want but leaving me with 1mm under the G saddle to set the curve.  I can get it as low as most people would want without the shim but I'm finicky and want it my way.  

When I say the slimmest of shims it is the thinnest card I could find... a piece of paper folded over might have done it.  ;)  

Sandberg are defo not the only ones guilty of this, I've known USA Musicman basses that I've needed to do it to and they are normally great at sorting fit/finish.  We won't even mention F3nd3r as I've seen shims from the factory that were as thick as a plastic credit card... in fact I've known folks cut up old store cards to shim some necks.   :)  

My VM4 has plenty of travel left on the saddles and string height is 1.5mm across the board.

I know Fender set up manual states 2.5mm on the E string and i can work with that but its better and easier for me at 2mm or less.

I bought the bass 2nd hand so it would be worth having a pro look at it to be on safe side.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7