Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

On 18/04/2022 at 21:42, oldprussians said:

Hi Guys I need a little help and perhaps advice

I have a Califiornia TT 5 passive. Made just for me.

But it sounds slightly top endy and thin. 

Don't like active basses, so please no remarks about preamps :)

I have tried my friend's Sadowsky in passive move, and it sounds way more warm and thick.

Is is just the stock pick ups or worse?

Ta Muchly

Change the strings first.  I thought that the stock strings were horrendously clanky.  Swapped them out for TI jazz flats and I’m happy.  Next Sandberg is due in September and I’ve already got the TI Jazz rounds waiting to go!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does anyone on here own the 'P' bass body style with either PJ or JJ configuration?  I believe the JJ is offered as the Martin Mendez model and the PJ is the California VT.  Can I heck find out very much about them as they appear to be as rare as hen's teeth.  BTW I'm not interested in the regular 'J' style bass, only the P derivative with either PJ or JJ.  

Cheers.

Can anyone measure the pickup placement for the California VM for me? I have a bass I built with MM and P pickups that I want to get a new body for and I think the VM looks like the perfect placing for what I want.

Needs to be from the 12th fret to the middle of the pole piece to be really useful. Thanks!

47 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Can anyone measure the pickup placement for the California VM for me? I have a bass I built with MM and P pickups that I want to get a new body for and I think the VM looks like the perfect placing for what I want.

Needs to be from the 12th fret to the middle of the pole piece to be really useful. Thanks!

On the E string

From mid of 12th fret :-

to centre of pole on P pick up is 315mm

to centre of pole on MM is 365mm and 389mm

Remember the VM4 P is a reversed precision. with the E & A nearer the bridge.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Remember the VM4 P is a reversed precision. with the E & A nearer the bridge.

Hope that helps.

That is a big part of the appeal for me.

Many many thanks! If you're ever down North London way I owe you a pint!

• Haha 1

Just now, bloke_zero said:

That is a big part of the appeal for me.

Many many thanks! If you're ever down North London way I owe you a pint!

You are more than welcome. Its what we do on BC.

Good luck with the new project and remember and share some pics of the build.

Dave

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Does anyone on here own the 'P' bass body style with either PJ or JJ configuration?  I believe the JJ is offered as the Martin Mendez model and the PJ is the California VT.  Can I heck find out very much about them as they appear to be as rare as hen's teeth.  BTW I'm not interested in the regular 'J' style bass, only the P derivative with either PJ or JJ.  

Cheers.

correct.

VT = PJ

Loads of info on the Sandberg website. The neck shapes are all the same apart from signature versions. So PJ, JJ, P all have the same neck.

If they are active then they have a 2 band eq. Pickups vary depending on model.

I’m not a fan of the Delano pickups.

The Sandberg Black Labels were fine, just not my usual EMGs so I swapped them.

When my Lionel gets to me in about 10 months I’ll be removing the Delano and putting in an Aguilar 60s wind.

EDIT: also the jazz type body is a lot smaller than a Fender on the off chance that’s a reason.

All basses are available as 32 or 35 scale for a small extra fee.

All available with the Superlight specs too. Lots that isn’t on the configurator.

Edited by fretmeister

12 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

correct.

VT = PJ

Loads of info on the Sandberg website. The neck shapes are all the same apart from signature versions. So PJ, JJ, P all have the same neck.

Oddly I have a pair of VS and the necks don't feel the same profile (1 maple board one Pau ferro)!  I have a gauge so I may measure to be sure.

Are the weights similar between the models as I'm presently surprised by the (lack of) weight of my 2, which are both just under/over 8lb.

11 hours ago, fretmeister said:

EDIT: also the jazz type body is a lot smaller than a Fender on the off chance that’s a reason.

Yes, that is the main consideration.  Jazz bodies are just too big for my taste, the Sandberg V basses are even smaller than Fender P basses.  

I don't suppose you've encountered a comparison between Sandberg / Fender body size which either shows or measures the difference?  

11 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Oddly I have a pair of VS and the necks don't feel the same profile (1 maple board one Pau ferro)!  I have a gauge so I may measure to be sure.

Are the weights similar between the models as I'm presently surprised by the (lack of) weight of my 2, which are both just under/over 8lb.

If there is a difference then that's just in the manufacture - aside from the sig models they are just supposed to have the same neck profiles.

The weights vary as much as Fenders do, but they probably start a little lower as the body sizes are smaller to start with. This is why I get Super Light models!

4 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Yes, that is the main consideration.  Jazz bodies are just too big for my taste, the Sandberg V basses are even smaller than Fender P basses.  

I don't suppose you've encountered a comparison between Sandberg / Fender body size which either shows or measures the difference?  

I haven't.

I've got a Fender Urge 2 for comparison but that's neither a P or a J!

I'm with you on body size. I think a J shape balances better, but the size of it is just silly.

17 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I've a TT4 J bass and a Greco P that I could measure for you if you think that would be helpful, but not comparing apples with apples in this instance.

@ead  @dmccombe7

I appreciate the offers folks. 

My point of reference is my Sandberg VS basses which are a great size and weight, I'm trying to establish/clarify my thinking re the other derivatives.  A VT is straightforward; it is a VS with added J pup and all other things should be very similar/identical.  The 'Jazz' option is less clear as I'm not keen on the Mendez option as it is one colour option only.  If there is no other 'V' style body shape JJ (other than expensive custom order), then maybe a TT or Marlowe model are options... so long as the body is a similar/comparable reduced body size to a trad Jazz in which case any form of measurement is reference for me.  

Again, thanks for bearing with me.  :)  

The TT Mark 2 (started a couple of three years ago) is definitely smaller and possibly a tad thinner than a Fender J bass.  My  TT is pretty light too at bang on 8lbs (3.6kgs) and it's a 'standard' version rather than a Superlight.

Just to note that Sandberg will do other colours not necessarily shown on the configurator.  For example I enquired about a Beatsteaks bass in colurs other than yellow and that would not have been a problem so you may well be able to get the Martin Mendez bass not in white.  Again Mark at Classic and Cool is your friend here as he was the person who enquired about the non yellow Beatsteaks bass. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I went into the Bass Gallery today to try out an Atelier Z which left me cold. The chap helping out passed me a reliced Sandberg TT4 - I would never have picked it out out from the pack myself - and it was the best thing I played out of quite a few. My only reservation is the price - it's up for £1,850 s/h which seems on the high side, but there are so many variations out there I'm not sure. I just don't want to pay over the odds and then lose a lot if I don't gel with it long term and need to sell.

The chap had little to no info about it but the only custom option seems to be the relicing. Any views?

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/sandberg-california-tt4-relic

Sandberg.jpg

8 minutes ago, edpirie said:

The chap had little to no info about it but the only custom option seems to be the relicing. Any views?

To me that looks like the old shape California. I don't know when they changed production but other basschatters may have a better idea. I tried to recreate the thing in Sandberg's configurator, and the best I could come back had an MSRP of 2323 euros. (code CANT4-TT:D-N-4S-34-HCA-VW-ALD-NOT-PFF-F-NOI-NOM-ANIH-CLT-2EQ-PP-X-RH). The ageing looks halfway between soft and hardcore.

Guess it's up to you if you think it's worth it. I paid £1500 for a new Sandberg last year at PMT.

Thanks @chyc, that's pretty much as close as I'd got to a match in the configurator although I hadn't noticed the different body shape. The price feels quite punchy as it's not far off what it would be new, but then there aren't a ton of them around. As you say it's up to me what I think it's worth. Hmm....

Thanks @Cuzzie. I'm curious though - is there anything you are aware of that might increase its value relatively speaking? Are the older ones particularly desirable? Apart from the fact it has a relic job in between soft and hardcore, it seems to be pretty much the same spec as a regular current TT4.

6 minutes ago, edpirie said:

Thanks @Cuzzie. I'm curious though - is there anything you are aware of that might increase its value relatively speaking? Are the older ones particularly desirable? Apart from the fact it has a relic job in between soft and hardcore, it seems to be pretty much the same spec as a regular current TT4.

From my research I'd say the older ones have a big draw back in that they are invariably a fair bit heavier.  :(  Doesn't matter in the least to some people of course.  ;)

7 minutes ago, edpirie said:

Vibration or heat treatment to the bass.

Pick ups - there is not Delano on them (unless it rubbed off and I can’t see) so they could be Sandberg own, or even Haüssel’s, is it the standard pre amp, or a different one

A few things…..

There are more relic levels now than there used to be, but the process is expensive as you can see from the configurator.

Can even double the price of a bass for the Masterpiece relic process with the vibration treatment.

I don't think they did the vibration treatment pre 2015 though and I know even less as to whether it does anything.

There are a few people out there who prefer the old Fender clone body shape but probably not enough of them to make a difference in pricing, and as others have said, the weight is probably quite a bit higher than the new ones.

It's a used item in a shop though - you can always make an offer and see what happens.