Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

Few questions about California Oliver Riedel and Sandberg Configurator (still without answer on TB):

Can Anyone confirm that California Oliver Riedel ''Special Hardcore Aged'' finish implies Thermo Treatment?

There is a little doubt for me regarding Aged levels and Thermo Treatment in the latest configurator.
At the ''old'' configurator Soft and Hardcore aged levels did not include Thermo neither the Vibro treatment.
Hardcore Reserve level included only Thermo, and Masterpiece level included both Thermo and Vibro treatment (next to the visual differences).

At the ''new'' configurator, You can add roasted option for the neck next to the Aged level You first need to choose. So if I choose Hardcore Reserve or Masterpiece (that should include Thermo treatment), why I can also add the ''roasted'' option for the neck (it also raise the price)?

Before I ordered my TM4 Hardcore reserve in 2019 I contacted Sandberg and got the email from Holger, who answered to my question and said that in Thermo treatment (at that time) all the wood for a bass is roasted, Neck, fingerboard and body wood. That puts me in a quandary!

So my questions again:

What does ''Special Hardcore Aged'' means in relation to the California Oliver Riedel?
Does California Oliver Riedel implies Thermo Treatment?
Why ''Roasted'' option is available in configurator even if Hardoce Reserved or Masterpiece is first choosen?

Thank You very much .

On 10/04/2022 at 20:26, Obra said:

Few questions about California Oliver Riedel and Sandberg Configurator (still without answer on TB):

Can Anyone confirm that California Oliver Riedel ''Special Hardcore Aged'' finish implies Thermo Treatment?

There is a little doubt for me regarding Aged levels and Thermo Treatment in the latest configurator.
At the ''old'' configurator Soft and Hardcore aged levels did not include Thermo neither the Vibro treatment.
Hardcore Reserve level included only Thermo, and Masterpiece level included both Thermo and Vibro treatment (next to the visual differences).

At the ''new'' configurator, You can add roasted option for the neck next to the Aged level You first need to choose. So if I choose Hardcore Reserve or Masterpiece (that should include Thermo treatment), why I can also add the ''roasted'' option for the neck (it also raise the price)?

Before I ordered my TM4 Hardcore reserve in 2019 I contacted Sandberg and got the email from Holger, who answered to my question and said that in Thermo treatment (at that time) all the wood for a bass is roasted, Neck, fingerboard and body wood. That puts me in a quandary!

So my questions again:

What does ''Special Hardcore Aged'' means in relation to the California Oliver Riedel?
Does California Oliver Riedel implies Thermo Treatment?
Why ''Roasted'' option is available in configurator even if Hardoce Reserved or Masterpiece is first choosen?

Thank You very much .

I am not going to be much help, but I do have the Oli Riedel signature and although the bass is hardcore aged, I couldn’t tell what makes it ‘special’ hardcore aged.   When I bought it, the website used to state that hardcore aged didn’t get the thermo treatment, but they don’t show that on the website anymore.  Maybe email and ask, Sandberg are usually pretty quick to come back.

What I can add is the bass plays and sounds excellent, and it feels a quality instrument.   I doubt I’d even notice if it had had thermo or not.  Oli Riedel’s basses definitely get the thermo treatment on stage 😉.

I’m not into aesthetics, but this is the best looking bass I’ve ever seen or played. 

• Like 1

On 13/04/2022 at 16:44, Quilly said:

Swapped out the stock ‘big pole’ sandberg pickup for a Lollar PB 90. A good upgrade IMO. 

And how would you describe the change in sound?       More old school or ?????? I'm interested in adding a VS to me collection but probably need sightly different tone to the Sandberg palette..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

And how would you describe the change in sound?       More old school or ?????? I'm interested in adding a VS to me collection but probably need sightly different tone to the Sandberg palette..

I'd keep an eye out for a preloved passive VS and add a pickup of your choice and a Kiogon loom as I think Sandberg use 500k pots but it was a while ago since I owned this bass so my recollection may be shaky on that bit.

Pre mods pic:

1969481242_SandbergCaliforniaVS401.thumb.jpg.10124fff5e565cfbaaf5990a07d363a7.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

On 14/04/2022 at 18:56, Pirellithecat said:

It was “fine” before but a little bit sterile sounding . Now it’s an aggressive beast ! Loads of mid range attack and not scooped at all (which I’m really happy about) very jean-jacques !

ive a precision bass also and I wouldn’t compare it to that either . It’s like a souped up p bass .

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I dislike/hate blue basses with a passion... but it was love at first sight with this one.  I think it is the maple board that does it; with a dark fingerboard it would be 'Meh'!

Definitely a great combination with maple neck and light blue body. Are the pick-ups originals ?

Dave

34 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Definitely a great combination with maple neck and light blue body. Are the pick-ups originals ?

Dave

No Lindy Fralin (passive) on the Blue one.  The aged burst came with 70's Fender pup (passive), which I reverted to original Delano + active.  

I've got the original Delano + actives for Bluey but I'm reluctant to change back as it sounds sweet.

Hi Guys I need a little help and perhaps advice

I have a Califiornia TT 5 passive. Made just for me.

But it sounds slightly top endy and thin. 

Don't like active basses, so please no remarks about preamps :)

I have tried my friend's Sadowsky in passive move, and it sounds way more warm and thick.

Is is just the stock pick ups or worse?

Ta Muchly

9 minutes ago, oldprussians said:

I have tried my friend's Sadowsky in passive move, and it sounds way more warm and thick.

What are the neck body woods of your bass and what are the pups (type/SC/humbuckers)?

Sadowsky pups are invariably actually humbuckers not single coil even though they are in sc casings.  

Are you comparing like for like?

33 minutes ago, oldprussians said:

Ta Muchly

can you post a sound sample?

is there actually a fault? of you just dont like the tone?

Edited by GisserD

I cant comment on the Sadowsky as never tried one but my MarloweDK has more depth and low end than my Fender "Geddy" Jazz. 

Dont find it overly top ended.

I do find maple necks more top ended than dark woods. What neck does your TT5 have compared to the Sadowsky. 

I'm guessing different kind of pick ups might be the answer. No expert on what's in pick-ups just how they sound to me.

Dave.

26 minutes ago, oldprussians said:

Ta Muchly

I would check the pot values as I have a feeling that Sandberg don't use the 250k pots we are all used to.  I put a Kiogon loom in mine (with non-delano pickups and it sounds great.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ead said:

I would check the pot values as I have a feeling that Sandberg don't use the 250k pots we are all used to.  I put a Kiogon loom in mine (with non-delano pickups and it sounds great.

Very much this. 500K pots and quite bright pickups are a Sandberg thing.

I love Sandbergs but I always end up changing the electronics.

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Very much this. 500K pots and quite bright pickups are a Sandberg thing.

I love Sandbergs but I always end up changing the electronics.

After I changed the pickup on my sandberg I find the treble control is just too much after about 6/7!, it’s like it’s fizzles out and distorts. Bass control works fine tho.

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

After I changed the pickup on my sandberg I find the treble control is just too much after about 6/7!, it’s like it’s fizzles out and distorts. Bass control works fine tho.

On my TT4SL I ripped the whole lot out and put in a set of EMG J and the BQC preamp. It's lovely!

But if I find a used Lionel then that will be an Aguilar 60s wind and a KiOgon loom.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2022 at 21:42, oldprussians said:

Ta Muchly

On facebook there's a guy selling a pair of Aguilar J pickups. Those with some 250K pots could be just what you need.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/guitarexchange/permalink/5100007073412219/?sale_post_id=5100007073412219

Has anyone set up intonation on the Sandberg bridge and is it easy? 
I can understand the manual, but it isn’t the same as other bridges, and seems a faff as you have to loosen all the string tension to move the saddles.  Then once you loosen the bridge fixation screw, how do you actually move the saddles and keep them in the correct spot?   Whenever I’ve set up intonation previously, I need 3-4 adjustments to get it spot on. 
Is there a video somewhere?