Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my second Sandy from BTM guitars in Germany. I’m actually a bit  in awe at the quality of the woodwork, finish and hardware. the bass wasn’t outrageously expensive at all (considerably cheaper than a stingray or US professional fender) and it has the fit and feel of a premium instrument. 
I’m not into fancy wood finishes or too much glitz or crazy electronics but I really like the wood on this bass. I think the single MM pup in the sweet spot and 3 band EQ is the perfect set up. Enough versatility but not enough to cause option paralysis. It nails that stingray punch but the 3 band eq seems a lot more practical (I’ve owned a 3 band MM in the past). I had a small jam with it tonight and every note rings clear and is really well defined. Looking forward to some serious gigging with this bass.  

0C053DAA-D7B2-4135-A503-7A97F958ED91.jpeg

4462BAC2-E43D-4510-84F9-D37B182068C4.jpeg

2182BAA6-7CC1-4245-97F3-147959DED03E.jpeg

D3D94837-6B63-4F83-B85C-4ABCED86BC07.jpeg

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 11

45 minutes ago, Obra said:

After a lot of misunderstandings, I made a video about the Sandberg Bass bridge. Hope You will enjoy it 🙂.

Yep, I didn't like Low End Lobster having a go at the bridge design. If he bothered googling it he would have seen that its quite easy to adjust anything.  My only tiny gripe about this bridge is that the intonation adjustment and the fact that you have to move the saddles with your fingers, in this regard I think the fender design is better and you get more control just turning a screw. 

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, foldyman said:

So, a couple of folks have complaints about the quality of hardware on Sandbergs on that other forum, in particular the bridge being made of cheap metal.

What do owners here think?

Have one on order and I'm all spooked about it.

I’ve not found any issue with the hardware.

Pros of Sandberg: German engineering and high attention to detail. Very modern and refined take on classic P, J and MM bass.

Cons of Sandberg: German engineering and high attention to detail. Very modern and refined take on classic P, J and MM bass.

Some may find the sound and styling a bit lacking in “warmth”character and “vibe”. 

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, foldyman said:

So, a couple of folks have complaints about the quality of hardware on Sandbergs on that other forum, in particular the bridge being made of cheap metal.

What do owners here think?

Have one on order and I'm all spooked about it.

No problem with me , I’ve a sandberg California vs since 2010 and I’ve never had any issues , my new basic seems well built with no cheapness detected anywhere 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Pros of Sandberg: German engineering and high attention to detail. Very modern and refined take on classic P, J and MM bass.

Cons of Sandberg: German engineering and high attention to detail. Very modern and refined take on classic P, J and MM bass.

Some may find the sound and styling a bit lacking in “warmth”character and “vibe”. 

I've both a Fender Precision bass (Mex player) and a Sandberg VS, on paper they should sound the same but they don't. The Sandberg seems to have a cleaner "airer" scooped sound (even with EQ bass and treble set to 0) whereas the Fender has more of a bark, and seems to have more of a midrange "Jean-Jacques" dirty snarl which I love. I wouldn't say the fender is 'warmer' than the Sandberg but its definitely got more lower midrange punch and attitude. Its been noticed by my non bass player bandmates.       

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I think they at least look great.

Of all the ways you could slightly mess with the way a standard J looks, I think they've picked a nice set of ways.

• Like 1

I've got 2 Sandbergs and have to say the hardware is pretty good on mine. The tuners are far better than my Fenders. The MarloweDK tuners especially are so smooth even compared with my VM4.

Bridge is a bit fiddly but the quality is good enough for me.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/05/2018 at 08:33, Adee said:

Here's my JJ4 California Hardcore Aged 2011 model, it has the older ABM bridge, Delanos and 2 band active

its a complete dream to play, sounds amazing ...

19858433_10212549409586654_1471918882_n.thumb.jpg.fd05c50e0f63200737df244cd7163537.jpg19873797_10212549409626655_368551604_n.thumb.jpg.81e1e05ce2c0ec8b45b08272bed84d43.jpg

Not big into aged basses myself but Sandberg do it really well. 

I have a TT4 passive with the Black Label pickups and I'm a big fan of that combo.  Does things a J bass does very well and mine is 8lbs (3.6kgs) so very comfortable.  I have V/B/T rather V/V/T as I prefer 1 volume for gigging.  The pickups are quite hot but I've lowered them down a bit and the sound is sweet now.

1340656154_TTGeddy01.thumb.jpeg.1fa4b76cb482aa262dcb36cd2845235f.jpeg

Edited by ead
  • Like 8

Anyone in the Newcastle upon Tyne +30 mile radius who happens to have a Cali TT4 ( Or similar ) I could give a try of? 

Local shops wont stock without down payment and wondering how the 14' radius neck would be as I hunt for something new as I the Ibanez I wanted is no longer about :(

This took a heavy fancy - shame the TM is £400 quid more ... 

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Sandberg-California-TT4-Passive-MN-Brownburst-Satin/art-BAS0011830-000 

• 2 weeks later...