Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

54 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Buzz at 5th fret would indicate a back bow - have you checked the neck/truss rod? 

When i got it the bass had a forward bow and 3mm at 12th fret but saddles bottomed out when i dropped the string height and best i could get was 2.75mm.

Tweaked the neck so that it has just a slight forward bow same as my other basses and that gave me saddle adjustment to get string height down to 2mm at 12th fret but i raised it to 2.25 because of the fret buzz.  I'm making very small adjustments per day to try and get a balance between neck relief and string height adjustment but always comes back to fret buzz at 4th fret.

Height of E string is 1mm at 3rd fret which is much the same as most of my basses so i dont think the zero fret is too low.

1mm at 3rd fret and 2.25mm at 12th fret would also indicate the neck is more concave. I like quite a flat neck with just a hint of concave.

When i use a straight edge across the 4th fret onto 3rd and 5th it rocks between 3rd and 5th fret and there is another fret near the 12th that does the same. Its not a minor rocking either so i'm thinking a couple of the frets need done and i wont tackle frets myself.

On a side note all my other basses are 1mm at 3rd fret and 1.5mm - 2mm. My VM4 is 1.5mm at 12th fret and has a gorgeous feel when playing. I assumed the Marlowe being more expensive would have a similar action. Its a 2016 version maybe before they plek'd the necks ???

After 5 yrs maybe something has changed on the neck ? It certainly confuses me to the point all that's left is a high fret. There's no wear on the frets and doesn't look like its been used much at all in 5yrs.

Dave

On 22/12/2021 at 16:50, Supernaut said:

Buzz at 5th fret would indicate a back bow - have you checked the neck/truss rod? 

Took your advice and revisited the Marlowe again. Looks like i adjusted the neck a touch too far right enough. Altho the neck appeared ok when i measured below 7th/8th fret when holding 1st and last fret down there was no movement on the string so i think the neck was perfectly straight. I tweaked the neck again and it has def helped the fret buzz issue at 4th fret. The rocking across the 4th is a bit less now and i didnt need to change string height which is now 2mm at 12th.

I had originally turned the truss adj about 1/8th of a turn to straighten the neck more when i bought it as i had no more height adjustment on E & G string saddles but at 12th fret it was 3mm on E string.. There was a distinct curve on the neck when i first got the bass. I turned the necck back about 1/16th of a turn back the way. I can see a very slight concave on the neck now and when fretting 1st and last frets the E string moves a little towards the 7th and 8th fret.

Cheers for the advice. Sometimes it just takes someone to offer a little guidance to get things just right.

Maybe the neck is a bit more sensitive to temperature changes than my other basses because the necck is slim and narrow.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

The Sandberg steels are quite good strings. I was quite surprised how much i liked them but difficult to get at times so i just went back to my old faithful D'addario nickels.

I found the Sandberg strings didnt feel too rough on my fingers like other steel rounds i've tried over the years.

Thomann price isn't too bad but the £8 shipping means i would probably buy quite a few sets at any one time.

Cant remember where i got mine. Was around 3-4yrs ago.

Dave

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Merton said:

Bass Direct have just posted two new Lionel shorties on Facebook. They are probably the best two I’ve seen and I’ve been tempted by loads already. This 2022 gear abstinence challenge is going to be tough…

Why bother with all the stress of it and the somewhat inevitable conclusion :D

• Haha 2

I wanted to join in this topic, as a very happy Sandberg owner for about 3 years now.  California TM2 5-string 35" in Blackburst with ebony fretboard.  I have never had such a relationship with a bass before... there's just something about the playability, balance and quality which work together in complete harmony for me.  I kinda want another identical spec, in a different body colour, but I'm reluctant to pay up front for a custom build.

Anyway, appreciating my Sandberg at all times.

• Like 4

Dang, the control cavity on the VM4 is tiiiiiiight!

I bought a John East Uni-Pre de luxe preamp a few months ago to install on this bass... and I don't think I'll be able to fit it in. :(

My original plan was to make it passive because I am liking much better its passive sound and the preamp is 'meh' for my liking. I thought I would just manage with it as it is, since in passive mode you still get a passive tone control, but its action is pretty limited. The Uni-Pre deluxe combines a 3-band EQ with semiparametric mids, and you can tweak the bass EQ points too, as well as having a passive tone control... agh, I'm going to have to buy a different bass now to fit that in :D

Anyway, back to the original plan, fully passive:

volume

blend

Tonestyler tone control

additional control for the 'intenity' of the Tonestyler, as I have a spare hole... 

Watch this space... 

• Like 5

On 09/01/2022 at 19:13, mcnach said:

Dang, the control cavity on the VM4 is tiiiiiiight!

I bought a John East Uni-Pre de luxe preamp a few months ago to install on this bass... and I don't think I'll be able to fit it in. :(

My original plan was to make it passive because I am liking much better its passive sound and the preamp is 'meh' for my liking. I thought I would just manage with it as it is, since in passive mode you still get a passive tone control, but its action is pretty limited. The Uni-Pre deluxe combines a 3-band EQ with semiparametric mids, and you can tweak the bass EQ points too, as well as having a passive tone control... agh, I'm going to have to buy a different bass now to fit that in :D

Anyway, back to the original plan, fully passive:

volume

blend

Tonestyler tone control

additional control for the 'intenity' of the Tonestyler, as I have a spare hole... 

Watch this space... 

Sounds great!

I do wish some of the East pre's were fully surface-mount.  then they'd fit in more cavities.

Edited by falling_in2_infinity
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...