Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

20 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Thanks. I presume there are some neck differences between the T and V series.  

Edit - looking at the Sandberg site, the thickness at the zero fret and the nut widths are the same. Nothing about the front-to-back taper though. 

The necks are the same.

• Like 2

Agree with others about the necks. One of the nicest i've played and very easy to get along with. 

My Geddy Jazz has a slim back to front neck and i sometimes get a little left hand cramp if playing long gigs. I find a P bass a little to wide across the neck in general but i get used to it very quickly when playing it. When i go back to my VM4 it just feels so comfy and i'm home again. Its kind of in between J and P and i think most poeple adapt to it very easily..

I know a few guys that sold theirs and have since regretted it and now either looking for another or have one already.

The TM4 gives you a bit more options with the split humbucker at the back that the VM4 doesn't have. Means you can get a jazz type sound too.

Dave 

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Would have thought there was a Guitar Guitar in your area. That's where i've tried them all.

I did drive down to Bass Direct once to try out 5 stringers so if you are gonna spend a lot of money on a bass you really want to try them out and a day out might be worthwhile for you.

Guitar Guitar Birmingham or Newcastle look nearest to you.

Dave

It's a real shame that the bass section in GG Glasgow has slipped after Paul (I think) left. He had all the Sandberg and Dingwalls and other interesting stuff in. Now it's back to Fenders, Ibanez and MusicMans with a sprinkling of others. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

It's a real shame that the bass section in GG Glasgow has slipped after Paul (I think) left. He had all the Sandberg and Dingwalls and other interesting stuff in. Now it's back to Fenders, Ibanez and MusicMans with a sprinkling of others. 

I remember him from last time I was in Glasgow. He was a really nice bloke and we spent a fair bit of time chatting about bass. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Had no idea Paul had gone. It was Paul i dealt with last few times i was there and he was very helpful but not pushy.

Dave

For the short-scale players on here, my Lionel is a lovely player.  I've owned and played loads of different shorties but none better than the Sandy in terms of comfort/playability and build quality.  Mine just has the single Black Label P p-up but I think they now do twin-pickup short-scales, which would be my preference.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

For the short-scale players on here, my Lionel is a lovely player.  I've owned and played loads of different shorties but none better than the Sandy in terms of comfort/playability and build quality.  Mine just has the single Black Label P p-up but I think they now do twin-pickup short-scales, which would be my preference.

There’s a very nice one in Marley Blue in BD right now. 

35 minutes ago, ead said:

Was that the red one on Bass Direct?  I think we should be told.

Yes it was. The 2017 2nd hand one at £1250 rather than the new one at £2150 which was a bit over any budget i set for a gigging bass. 

Trying to keep gigging bass costs at £1k or below. 

I've been using my Fender Jazz and Precisions recently with the punk band and altho i love my Geddy Jazz and the P bass is good but i go back to my VM4 at home and it just feels like coming home. I always use my VM4 for the Glam covers band cause it gives me more tonal variety and control.

The Marlowe might take over or share that role too.

I've always had a preference for Jazz type basses. My first bass was a Columbas Jazz copy back in 76 and altho i've tried so many other basses i keep coming back to a Jazz. Based on my VM4 i reckon the Marlowe will be a superior version of a Fender J bass.

I'll post an update when it arrives but i am now a definite Sandberg convert. No going back to inferior basses now. :santa2:

Dave

• Like 3

MarloweDK is one hell of a bass - you will enjoy the slimmer neck profile compared to the other Sandy - it will give you a different flavour - it’s a bass that makes me smile when I play, I don’t think I would play any other jazz bass

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Thanks 1

Marlowe arrived today. It was freezing cold and when i took it from case it literally went wet with condensation. Action is very high at 3mm on E string and neck had more bow than i like. Left it to acclimatise in bass cave for an hour and had a little play. Action had dropped to 2.5mm on E string.

Strings on it feel ok but the G string is a 45 and the others 60, 80, 100 so looks like a mixed bag plus the G string feels like a different string maybe older.

Ordered a new set of D'addarios EXL190's here tomorrow. I'll give it a full set up with new strings. I know the bass is relic'd but the pick up pole pieces are rusted too. Not sure they are meant to be like that so will give them a clean up. I always give a bass a full clean and set up with new strings when it arrives unless its a new bass the strings are usually ok.

Even with a higher action the bass feels really nice to play. The neck is almost same as my Geddy Jazz but the tone doesn't change as much when you play up the 12th fret or above. My Geddy tone isnt quite as sharp and clear at top end of the neck (12th fret end)

Nice weight and the neck feels strange having no lacquer. Never played a bass like that before but sweaty hands wont stick to it same i guess.

Will post a pic tomorrow once i've cleaned and set it up.

Dave

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Marlowe arrived today. It was freezing cold and when i took it from case it literally went wet with condensation. Action is very high at 3mm on E string and neck had more bow than i like. Left it to acclimatise in bass cave for an hour and had a little play. Action had dropped to 2.5mm on E string.

Strings on it feel ok but the G string is a 45 and the others 60, 80, 100 so looks like a mixed bag plus the G string feels like a different string maybe older.

Ordered a new set of D'addarios EXL190's here tomorrow. I'll give it a full set up with new strings. I know the bass is relic'd but the pick up pole pieces are rusted too. Not sure they are meant to be like that so will give them a clean up. I always give a bass a full clean and set up with new strings when it arrives unless its a new bass the strings are usually ok.

Even with a higher action the bass feels really nice to play. The neck is almost same as my Geddy Jazz but the tone doesn't change as much when you play up the 12th fret or above. My Geddy tone isnt quite as sharp and clear at top end of the neck (12th fret end)

Nice weight and the neck feels strange having no lacquer. Never played a bass like that before but sweaty hands wont stick to it same i guess.

Will post a pic tomorrow once i've cleaned and set it up.

Dave

I've been thinking about a Sandberg recently but my previous experience, albeit some years back, with a Basic Ken Taylor was not brilliant.  I found the overall character of the bass (double Delano humbucker?) to be on the dark side which I couldn't dial out no matter what amp/bass settings I tried.  Is this still the same with the modern Sandys?  I can't deny that the build looks great and I love the look of the weight on the Cali 2s.  

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

I've been thinking about a Sandberg recently but my previous experience, albeit some years back, with a Basic Ken Taylor was not brilliant.  I found the overall character of the bass (double Delano humbucker?) to be on the dark side which I couldn't dial out no matter what amp/bass settings I tried.  Is this still the same with the modern Sandys?  I can't deny that the build looks great and I love the look of the weight on the Cali 2s.  

I dont have a lot of experience on Sandbergs. Just my VM4 and now the Marlowe Jazz.

I think i know what you mean. My VM4 with the P and Humbucker pick ups took me a bit of time to get my amp set up to match it and allow me more of wider tonal range. To be honest i quite like the VM4 tone in my Glam Rock covers band. I definitely cant get that Geddy rasp but i can get a decent top end from it but mostly i'm trying to cover P basses and Precision tones from that era and i can do that easily enough.

The Marlowe only just arrived today and i'm gonna leave it a day to settle down before tweaking truss to straighten the neck a bit and lower the action down to circa 2mm. So far having a play with it this afternoon i'm liking the tone from it. It actually has more top end than my Geddy Jazz but has a nicer low end without booming. Also a more balanced tone across the neck. 

Maybe @Cuzzie can offer some help on what might suit your needs. He's certainly given me great advice without trying to push me towards what he likes. 

Dave

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

I never got on with the VM basses personally, but I love the TTs, especially the passive ones, anything but dark in my experience.  My current one (passive TT4) has the Black Label pickups on too, so plenty of punch available.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ead said:

I never got on with the VM basses personally, but I love the TTs, especially the passive ones, anything but dark in my experience.  My current one (passive TT4) has the Black Label pickups on too, so plenty of punch available.

What was it about the VM's you found out of kilter and how do the TT's especially passive differ (for you)?    I have a really nice VM4,  and its (almost) great.  I'm trying to decide whether a different Sandberg "flavour" might be worth a try, or whether I should put GAS to one side and learn to love the one I have! 

8 minutes ago, Pirellithecat said:

What was it about the VM's you found out of kilter and how do the TT's especially passive differ (for you)?    I have a really nice VM4,  and its (almost) great.  I'm trying to decide whether a different Sandberg "flavour" might be worth a try, or whether I should put GAS to one side and learn to love the one I have! 

I always consider my VM4 the "Ford" of basses. It does what it says it will. No frills, nothing overly fancy tone wise but it does it all so well.

So far i'm finding the Marlowe has something different to my other Jazz bass. Not gigged it or played it at decent volume yet but it does sound as tho it has a bit more depth to its tone. On my amp with same settings that i use for my Geddy Jazz i'm finding i can get a clearer top and bottom end. At the 12th fret and upwards it keeps a clearer tone.

Not sure how much that helps others consider a Sandberg.

I would think the TM4 with the Jazz pick up at neck and switchable split humbucker at bridge would offer a far wider tone spectrum than the VM4.

Not sure if the VM4 Humbucker can be replaced for a split humbucker like the TM4. That would offer a fair bit of tonal options.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7