Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

33 minutes ago, Obra said:

Today I made a new video where I compared Sandberg California TM4 II sound with Fender Jazz bass 1977.
I made this video after the other one previously this week, where I compared Sandberg (only in active mode) and Music Man StingRay Special. In first video I wanted to compare sound of humbuckers, and to try to mimic sound of StingRay as close as I can at Sandberg.

However, this one was with different idea, and that was to compare Sandberg in only passive mode and only using single pickups - no humbucker was used although humbucker sound will come much closer to the 1977 Jazz Bass regarding the position of bridge pickup at Fender.

Thank You all for listening, and hope someone will found it helpful :)

I saw that earlier today on Youtube and left my comments. Had no idea it was from one of our very own BC'ers.

Dave

• Like 3

Well, I was a Sandberg owner very briefly. Owning these two, albeit for only a few weeks in the case of the sunburst and only a few days for the natural, has definitely and finally confirmed that short scales are my bag. These two are the finest full scale basses I’ve owned, if I’m still preferring to pick up a 32 or 30” bass then there can’t be any doubt. The sunburst is already sold and the natural will be going on the market place tomorrow. Sandberg make superb basses, I really must try out a Lionel!

1FB5C2F7-39B7-4B2B-9635-17520A35A3C0.thumb.jpeg.9e934526e253ac81c3773d6e26ad7bb0.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Well, I was a Sandberg owner very briefly. Owning these two, albeit for only a few weeks in the case of the sunburst and only a few days for the natural, has definitely and finally confirmed that short scales are my bag. These two are the finest full scale basses I’ve owned, if I’m still preferring to pick up a 32 or 30” bass then there can’t be any doubt. The sunburst is already sold and the natural will be going on the market place tomorrow. Sandberg make superb basses, I really must try out a Lionel!

1FB5C2F7-39B7-4B2B-9635-17520A35A3C0.thumb.jpeg.9e934526e253ac81c3773d6e26ad7bb0.jpeg

You can custom order any Sandberg with a 32 scale. Same cost as opting for 35 on a bass that would normally be 34.

• Thanks 1

Is it not quite expensive in comparison to the standard version. Watched a few demo's of her using it. Sounded good but never sure if that's down to her, the bass or the amp she's using. 

So many variables when you watch a Youtube clip.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Has anyone had any experience with the Ida NIelsen 4, I don’t normally like gold hardware but it looks ok on this, it’s a great looking bass 

I've got one, it is fantastic. I would say it is now My go to bass (And I have some nice Status, G&L, Fender, JD etc.)

It looks great, Sounds great (Active or Passive), plays great & is nice and light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BoomTing said:

I've got one, it is fantastic. I would say it is now My go to bass (And I have some nice Status, G&L, Fender, JD etc.)

It looks great, Sounds great (Active or Passive), plays great & is nice and light.

Is it lighter than the standard model. ?

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I’ve played the Ida in front of Ida - lovely lady - I was accidentally rude when I told her it wasn’t the best signature bass Sandberg did and that the MarloweDK was better.....🤦🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🤣

What did she say cuzzie  😁

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

What did she say cuzzie  😁

Initial look of disbelief, something like “surely not - mines pretty good” 

I stone walled and said, no I’m sorry it’s inferior.

I honestly didn’t mean to be rude, hopefully I wasn’t!

She rolled her eyes and walked away - if only I played ball I probably could have had a conversation with her, but no - I am a plonker.

She really is a very nice lady and it’s a great bass

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, BoomTing said:

Thanks BT, I really don’t need any more basses , 14 at the moment 😁, but each time I see this I’m kinda attracted 

It does sound amazing but she makes it all seem so easy. Liked the fact her jacket matched her bass. Black with gold. 😂

@Cuzzie you need to learn diplomacy. Maybe if you had praised her bass she might have given you one for free.  (a bass that is) :facepalm:

She's always came across as a very nice person which for me makes a difference. I like to know that people i respect and admire are genuine and generally nice people.

The more i see that 4 stringer the more i like it.

Dave  

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone ordered a hand configured Sandberg this year. I ordered an HCA California back at the beginning of Feb. Although the lead time was six months I was told it could be sooner. Anyone had theirs through in less than six months?

On 16/05/2021 at 16:08, Cuzzie said:

Initial look of disbelief, something like “surely not - mines pretty good” 

I stone walled and said, no I’m sorry it’s inferior.

I honestly didn’t mean to be rude, hopefully I wasn’t!

She rolled her eyes and walked away - if only I played ball I probably could have had a conversation with her, but no - I am a plonker.

She really is a very nice lady and it’s a great bass

I was trying out the Ida Nielsen bass at the Guitar Show, and she just came over and asked (nicely) for her bass back as she needed it for her show.  
It’s a great bass and that was such a great moment for an amateur bassist, but I still went and bought the Oli Riedel signature Sandberg. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2021 at 11:59, Biggsy2 said:

Has anyone ordered a hand configured Sandberg this year. I ordered an HCA California back at the beginning of Feb. Although the lead time was six months I was told it could be sooner. Anyone had theirs through in less than six months?

I ordered my Classic Special in Dec and was told it was 7 months, the guys at Bass Direct confirmed last week that they’re still on track for that time frame.  It’s a 6 string with a ramp which means its probably more non standard than the California’s so you maybe in luck 

I've had my VM5 for a month now, and it's definitely delivering in a big way. Recorded a "live in the studio" video with it last Saturday, so I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing the final result of that soon.

NpVATGt.jpg

Here's a playthrough of one of the songs from the session that I did from my home setup. Just the VM5 straight into an HX Stomp and into my interface (bass comes in after the first verse).

• Like 3

Question for all the Sandberg experts.  I’ve accidentally rounded off the inside of the machine head adjustment screw on my California VM, the Allen key just sheared a bit of the metal while I was tightening it.  The manual says to check these every month and tighten if necessary, but I’ve always found them to be fully tightened every time I check them and has been ever since I bought the bass. 
So is it really necessary to check and tighten these screws regularly?

and in my case, any tips as to what to do?  Leave it and hope for the best? 

@garyt got a pic?

Dont know about sandbergs... but from working on motorcycles etc... first source a replacement, maybe by removing a good one, or dropping sandberg a line. or check ebay fasteners... no point removing the old one if its doing its job untill you have a replacement.

Then when you got the new one, most i have seen are cross head, but if allen head try a star/torx bit in the hex hole... what size allen key? sometimes you may be able to gently tap in a slightly oversize imperial key into a metric hole. If not and you can get at the head, lots of masking tape then cut a slot across the head with a dremmel and use a slot head screwdriver, if ya cant get across  the head, a small cold chisel to bite in to the edge of the bolt (inside or outside) and tap it round. Maybe remove the machine hesd from the headstock and hold in a vice or screw it to a scrap piece of wood to work on?

If they are always tight then the optionof leaving it

Edited by PaulThePlug

7 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

@garyt got a pic?

Dont know about sandbergs... but from working on motorcycles etc... first source a replacement, maybe by removing a good one, or dropping sandberg a line. or check ebay fasteners... no point removing the old one if its doing its job untill you have a replacement.

The when you got the new one, try a star/torx bit in the hex hole... what size allen key? sometimes you may be able to gently tap in a slightly oversize imperial key into a metric hole. If not and you can get at the head, lots of masking tape then cut a slot across the head with a dremmel and use a slot head screwdriver, if ya cant get across  the head, a small cold chisel to bite in to the edge of the bolt (inside or outside) and tap it round. Maybe remove the machine hesd from the headstock and hold in a vice or screw it to a scrap piece of wood to work on?

If they are always tight then the optionof leaving it

Thanks, I have asked Sandberg.  I think doing nothing is probably the safest bet for now.  I am usually really careful with Allen heads, so am gutted that I’ve done this.