Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

Does anyone happen to know what the stock strings on the California TM5 SL are? I can't seem to find the information online anywhere.

I'm quite happy with the tone from them other than the G is perhaps a bit thin and twangy for what I'd ideally go for, and I wouldn't mind a heavier B, so perhaps thicker gauges all over: if they're 40-125 I'd get 45-130. 

5 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Does anyone happen to know what the stock strings on the California TM5 SL are? I can't seem to find the information online anywhere.

I'm quite happy with the tone from them other than the G is perhaps a bit thin and twangy for what I'd ideally go for, and I wouldn't mind a heavier B, so perhaps thicker gauges all over: if they're 40-125 I'd get 45-130. 

They’re Sandberg Stainless Steel, 40-128. 
40, 60, 80, 100, 128. 

Also, TM5 SL, nice! I use a TT5 SL. Would love to try a TM SL. 

Edited by M@23
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, M@23 said:

They’re Sandberg Stainless Steel, 40-128. 
40, 60, 80, 100, 128. 

Also, TM5 SL, nice! I use a TT5 SL. Would love to try a TM SL. 

Nice one. Yeah, it's my favourite Bass I've owned - sounds good and is fun to play. I've quickly got used to the lightness so I expect any other Basses will feel like a lead weight to me now. Only downside I've found is the that it's very easy to scratch and dent, I like the worn in look though so not really an issue for me but if I ever come to sell it it'll be looking a bit knackered!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SumOne said:

Nice one. Yeah, it's my favourite Bass I've owned - sounds good and is fun to play. I've quickly got used to the lightness so I expect any other Basses will feel like a lead weight to me now. Only downside I've found is the that it's very easy to scratch and dent, I like the worn in look though so not really an issue for me but if I ever come to sell it it'll be looking a bit knackered!

Rubbish - PATINA!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, I get ya. I’ve not scratched mine, but there are a few little imprints - can’t really call them dents as they’re not even noticeable unless under close inspection. I’ve not knocked it, so no idea how they appeared. But I’ve had it nearly 2 years, that first year saw about 70 gigs, and last year saw about 12 🤣 so it’s standing up no worse than any other bass. I should buy a hard case, but always get stuck with finding one that would offer more protection than damage with the potential of the smaller/lighter body rattling around inside.

In fact, I was wondering about buying the aged hardware as I think this bass will age really well. I’m gassing for a HCA Sandberg too!

• Like 1

On 13/03/2021 at 18:00, benh said:

Hope you all don't mind the thread hijack - thinking of using a Sandberg bridge in my 5 string build. Hoping for some constructive opinions on the Sandberg bridge?

Although it looks fantastic to me, from one side it is great due to being able to move the saddle in all directions, but from other side there are two things that I do not like so much. 

The strings constantly falls out until they tightened, and intonation process is annoying because you need to lose the saddle and to move it manually by your finger, and it is not so precise most of the time.

1 hour ago, Obra said:

Although it looks fantastic to me, from one side it is great due to being able to move the saddle in all directions, but from other side there are two things that I do not like so much. 

The strings constantly falls out until they tightened, and intonation process is annoying because you need to lose the saddle and to move it manually by your finger, and it is not so precise most of the time.

It’s funny how opinions are, I find it very intuitive to use and I don’t get the string slip out problems, and don’t mind moving the saddle manually

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

34 inch scale. The nut is 39.5 mm. 

These look ace - d'ya switch between the bridge and the neck pick-ups much? Does it sound good either in P or J mode?, and have you tried it in a gig at volume?  

I like Gregor's review here (I know he's affiliated), but he's always entertaining. 

19 hours ago, petebassist said:

These look ace - d'ya switch between the bridge and the neck pick-ups much? Does it sound good either in P or J mode?, and have you tried it in a gig at volume?  

I like Gregor's review here (I know he's affiliated), but he's always entertaining. 

I have to say that if I end up in a covers band doing two hour-long sets a night I’ll probably end up with one of these. No need at present but it’s nice to know they’re around.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I have to say that if I end up in a covers band doing two hour-long sets a night I’ll probably end up with one of these. No need at present but it’s nice to know they’re around.

That’s why I bought mine. It’s was the lightest 5 string jazz available. Didn’t really care about much else as I could no longer play 4 or 5 nights a week with a 10lb’er on my shoulder. Wasn’t really bothered about tone or anything else. I’d had a Sandberg before, so knew there was little to worry about. 
As it happens, it’s my favourite sounding jazz bass I’ve owned. 

• Like 3

On 19/03/2021 at 17:31, petebassist said:

I normally keep the balance knob in the middle or roll it toward the neck pup. It's a J and MM pup configuration so can't comment on what the P pup sounds like... bedroom volume sounds ace, gig volume sounds ace. I normally run it through a TC Spark Booster for a little extra grunt but am starting to find I like it just as much with no effects. Running it through my MXR M80 clean channel sounds awesome. 

• Like 1