Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

14 hours ago, krispn said:

I think my current p pick up is just about right on the money for me but I’m willing to give one more pick up a chance to usurp it... but just one last chance! 😀

I see a plan coming together here...  You buy the '58, decide it's no different from what you've already got - and then sell me one of them to me 😊

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

I see a plan coming together here...  You buy the '58, decide it's no different from what you've already got - and then sell me one of them to me 😊

Or fit the ‘58 into a ‘51 P bass project thus having two equally great sounding basses one round on flats right😉

• Like 1

On 06/01/2021 at 01:08, jrixn1 said:

Here's a VM5 I got a couple of months ago, although I think it would look better with a tort pickguard.  However, the Sandberg shop (https://sandbergshop.gambiocloud.com) no longer seems to ship to the UK

Update of my experience of the Sandberg/EU/Covid/Brexit situation.  Ordered the pickguard on 6th Jan via Synergy (the UK distributor). Arrived this morning 22nd Feb; delay due to German lockdown and then courier delays.  Alan from Synergy is responsive and helpful.  I actually decided not to keep the bass in the end, so the pickguard is currently in the basschat marketplace if anyone's interested.

My great Sandberg Series 1 6 string 1993: 100% original, 100% greatness from the time that Sandberg was focusing on hi quality luthery basses with different designs. (However: consider selling it.)

IMG_1424.thumb.jpeg.c6febb1136264a11efc80257c5a55d06.jpeg

Edited by will4bass
  • Like 7

Has anyone played a VM5 with Aguilar pickups and preamp? I was looking at VM5s and noticed a very nice shell pink and orange, soft aged, with Aguilar pickups. Apparently this is an option from 2020! I had no idea. But am very interested! 
image.thumb.jpeg.451a870d494ab1c89f044245016fccb3.jpeg

Edited by M@23
  • Like 4

Finally got round to grabbing a pic of my recently acquired (off this FS forum) Cali s-s.  Jazz Flats fitted, just completed my usual super-low set-up by doing the intonation, and I think this is a keeper - even though my two Andy Rogers 30"-scale custom builds will always be my go-to gig basses.  I can honestly say I'm deeply impressed with my first Sandberg.  It's the best sub-£1500 'manufactured' s-s bass I've played.

http://IMG-5689.jpg

• Like 5

Thought i'd run thru our set list today while standing for a change and started using my Jazz mainly because its always readily available and after about 45mins my shoulder and back started to ache so i finished the first set of about 60-70 mins approx.

Took a break for lunch and decided to bring my Sandberg VM4 out its case for the 2nd set. I couldn't believe how light it felt compared to the Jazz bass. 2nd set of 80mins without issue. That is why its my gigging bass these days plus it just sounds and feels so nice. 

Does leave me thinking i should try the Marlowe Jazz as suggested by @Cuzzie few months back. I love the sound of Jazz basses but the Fender weight could be a problem for a full gig now that i'm getting a wee bit older and gig lazy because of Covid. 

Does the Marlowe Jazz compare with the VM4 with regards weight.

Gout our first gig booked in October so once band all vaccinated its straight into rehearsals

Dave

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Thought i'd run thru our set list today while standing for a change and started using my Jazz mainly because its always readily available and after about 45mins my shoulder and back started to ache so i finished the first set of about 60-70 mins approx.

Took a break for lunch and decided to bring my Sandberg VM4 out its case for the 2nd set. I couldn't believe how light it felt compared to the Jazz bass. 2nd set of 80mins without issue. That is why its my gigging bass these days plus it just sounds and feels so nice. 

Does leave me thinking i should try the Marlowe Jazz as suggested by @Cuzzie few months back. I love the sound of Jazz basses but the Fender weight could be a problem for a full gig now that i'm getting a wee bit older and gig lazy because of Covid. 

Does the Marlowe Jazz compare with the VM4 with regards weight.

Gout our first gig booked in October so once band all vaccinated its straight into rehearsals

Dave

Shame you are a long way up the road and not down the road or you could have tried mine!

Mine is old shape so has a bit extra mass but balances well and does not feel heavy at all, it is a little heavier than my precision’s, but I would think with the shapes as they are now it should be very similar to your VM4 in weight

There is also the Martin Mendez sig bass which will be the same as your VM but jazzy picks

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Shame you are a long way up the road and not down the road or you could have tried mine!

Mine is old shape so has a bit extra mass but balances well and does not feel heavy at all, it is a little heavier than my precision’s, but I would think with the shapes as they are now it should be very similar to your VM4 in weight

There is also the Martin Mendez sig bass which will be the same as your VM but jazzy picks

Don't think i've seen the Martin Mendez version. Off to google 

UPDATE : had a listen to the Mendez Jazz but not so keen. Had another listen to the Marlowe and it just sounds so much nicer.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

14 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Don't think i've seen the Martin Mendez version. Off to google 

UPDATE : had a listen to the Mendez Jazz but not so keen. Had another listen to the Marlowe and it just sounds so much nicer.

Dave

MarloweDK is the absolute nuts

• Like 1

NBD :)

Arrived this morning.  It's basically an "if Geddy had visited Sandberg" bass.  Satin body, the Black Label Pickups and passive VVT electrics.  Nice and light at 8lbs too.  Couldn't decide on pickguard so got a couple of spares...

1340656154_TTGeddy01.thumb.jpeg.1fa4b76cb482aa262dcb36cd2845235f.jpeg

197964066_TTGeddy02.thumb.jpeg.ed7745a77df7c31f6f18699302793787.jpeg

886960694_TTGeddy03.thumb.jpg.53422643cf8dfbedc3b221a24a713a6d.jpg

80354970_TTGeddy04.thumb.jpg.358b03111602b3069d80011d55f47113.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 6