Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

I had a VM with the P bass pickup in the Fender configuration, probably made it a bit easier to get the sound.  I used to put the bass into passive and blend fully to the P pickup and mess with the tone (treble pot in passive mode).

162968740_VM402.thumb.jpg.4bee714cc858ef31a17ceea356b11e3b.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nice - and a very tasteful finish. Are those standard 'Berg knobs?

No, they are the Sadowsky variant.  The std fit Sandberg knobs, partiularly the black ones, are not my favourite things as you cannot see at a quick glance what the settings are so I routinely swap them out.

• Like 1

Just now, ead said:

No, they are the Sadowsky variant.  The std fit Sandberg knobs, particularly the black ones, are not my favourite things as you cannot see at a quick glance what the settings are so I routinely swap them out.

Yeah - those Sad knobs are just the ticket!

6 hours ago, Biggsy2 said:

Just ordered a California TM 5 from Tom at Wunjo in Denmark St. Sent them my configuration and they are handling the rest and also got a great price. I had the same worries as you about import duty but the deal was good enough for it not to come into play... www.WunjoGuitars.com 

Just to confuse, there are a couple of "Toms" at Wunjos and they're both great guys. Had several dealings with Tom (manager) over the years with Ibby basses and can vouch that he is a top bloke! 

My short-scale Cali 4 has a Black Label P pup.  Can somebody please tell me where these fit into the tonal spectrum of P-bass pups?  Is there anything else out there that would give me a more suitable  P-bass vibe in my classic rock/pop covers band?  I'm new to Sandberg and have only ever briefly owned one P bass - a standard-scale Squier.  I remember that sounding sublime with flats so I'm just about to replace the Sandy rounds with TI Jazzers.

21 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

My short-scale Cali 4 has a Black Label P pup.  Can somebody please tell me where these fit into the tonal spectrum of P-bass pups?  Is there anything else out there that would give me a more suitable  P-bass vibe in my classic rock/pop covers band?  I'm new to Sandberg and have only ever briefly owned one P bass - a standard-scale Squier.  I remember that sounding sublime with flats so I'm just about to replace the Sandy rounds with TI Jazzers.

I put a Nordstrand NP-4 in mine that was just the job.  Quite expensive but was able to find one pre-loved (on here IIRC).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Black label gives a nod to vintage, but is very much more modern and punchy sounding inherently - within the Sandberg range, broadly speaking, Sandberg non black label are more vintage sounding, Delano’s more HiFi and Haüssel in between but also very high output.

I am a Sandberg fan boy, but for me their split coil (not black label) seems to be the weakest pick up in the range.

The pick up is standard size so the world is your oyster.

Does yours have active electronics?

No matter as you can still make it passive either removing the pre-amp or just bypassing it.

For my Money

Creamery 58 P is probably the best split coil I have ever heard/played

EMG GZR is good

Aguilar is fantastic 

Lindy Fralins

Ulyate Tic Tac as a left field choice

Seymour Duncan APB-1 is another left field, it has some good grind.

All of those esp the first 4 will give you a fantastic classic P. Creamery also do a 60’s and 70s so it depends what you like.

Pop in a Stellartone Tonestyler and you have all territory covered

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Thanks ead and Cuzzie - plenty for me to think about there.  Mine's passive btw.  I'll keep a watching eye on the FS forum and maybe post a 'wanted' topic.

Keep us posted on what you decide as i'm quite interested in this too.

Dave

• Like 1

On 19/02/2021 at 13:38, Cuzzie said:

Keep us posted for sure, but the world is your oyster on this, someone will snap up those Black labels for sure which will offset the cost unless of course you want to keep them to return to stock for any further resale

OK, so the pup swap is now on the back burner.  I was looking at a new Creamery '58 but according to their website there's a 45-day wait due to "covid restrictions causing limited access to the work-shop".  If that's the situation, I wouldn't risk putting any money up front.  Also, just fitted my first-ever set of TI Jazz Flats and am much happier with the way they sound.

17 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

OK, so the pup swap is now on the back burner.  I was looking at a new Creamery '58 but according to their website there's a 45-day wait due to "covid restrictions causing limited access to the work-shop".  If that's the situation, I wouldn't risk putting any money up front.  Also, just fitted my first-ever set of TI Jazz Flats and am much happier with the way they sound.

TI’s are wonderful strings- glad you are finding a combo you like. Jaime does have a wait being a small operation - if i can make the SW bash I’ll bring my Precision with the Creamery’s in so you can have a good old play and then wipe down after of course! (The bass before anyone gets excited)

• Haha 1