Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

A lot of fenders for sale too...

My guess is that the sandbergs might be  ‘worth more’ in resale and folks are probably happy enough to hang on to a cheaper decent bass if they’re trying to get some cash during this pandemic. Ironically others might be selling off their fenders as it’s a more widely recognised brand and want to keep the better quality basses they own if they can. 

Who knows?

My new Sandberg must be due soonish, can't wait tbh.  I think things go in waves on the For Sale section not sure if there is too much science behind it.  I sell stuff so I can buy other stuff.

Sandberg relics are a bit of a curiosity for me.  For some reason I'm cool with things like the Limelight relics of old Fenders but less so with relics of other brands that only sprang into life in the 80s/90s etc.  Maybe I'm just very shallow.

• Like 1

I get what you mean @ead, it suits a P bass that could be 50 years plus very well. But, I’m really GASing for a TT5 in creme, heavy relic. I think Sandberg are probably the best when it comes to it. I love their relic jobs. 
Agreed on the FS section too, there’s lots of everything at the moment. Lots of high end stuff too and lots from outside the UK. I don’t know if the lack of gigs makes it a better or worse time to sell stuff. 

2 hours ago, ead said:

My new Sandberg must be due soonish, can't wait tbh.  I think things go in waves on the For Sale section not sure if there is too much science behind it.  I sell stuff so I can buy other stuff.

Sandberg relics are a bit of a curiosity for me.  For some reason I'm cool with things like the Limelight relics of old Fenders but less so with relics of other brands that only sprang into life in the 80s/90s etc.  Maybe I'm just very shallow.

That does make their first lots of basses about 40 years old - surely that’s enough to show a little wear and tear.....?!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

That does make their first lots of basses about 40 years old - surely that’s enough to show a little wear and tear.....?!

Fair point.  Maybe they need a re-issue range for this as the Cali IIs that you see a fair few with relic finish are much more recent.

Not against it by any means as it's a really individual thing and taste in all things should never be by diktat (unless you're on the Rickenbacker forum of course).

Just now, ead said:

Fair point.  Maybe they need a re-issue range for this as the Cali IIs that you see a fair few with relic finish are much more recent.

Not against it by any means as it's a really individual thing and taste in all things should never be by diktat (unless you're on the Rickenbacker forum of course).

Agreed - its just a finish -  i get the point about 2015 onwards with the shape change and ‘relic’ -  maybe they are so good people just play them so much and very hard!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Agreed - its just a finish -  i get the point about 2015 onwards with the shape change and ‘relic’ -  maybe they are so good people just play them so much and very hard!

Or... they hate them, drag them behind their cars and throw them into a swamp... only to find out that next morning... they're back in their guitar rack!

Stephen King, feel free to PM me.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Or... they hate them, drag them behind their cars and throw them into a swamp... only to find out that next morning... they're back in their guitar rack!

Stephen King, feel free to PM me.

The horror of the turdburst finish is a best seller

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

What's the difference between the PM4 and VM4. They both have same pick-up config. ?

Dave

Speaking of which, how close does the reverse P config on the Sandberg come to a classic Fender P bass sound? Couldn't really find a decent YT clip (in English) review of the VM5, but if you've come across one or got a recording yourself please do post a link. 

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Speaking of which, how close does the reverse P config on the Sandberg come to a classic Fender P bass sound? Couldn't really find a decent YT clip (in English) review of the VM5, but if you've come across one or got a recording yourself please do post a link. 

It will entirely depend on which pick ups are in the bass and how they are used, is there a preamp, plus the fact that it is reverse config it will Always be slightly different to that ‘classic’ sound, depending on what you think a classic sound is. In addition you have an M pick and even if turned off there is a rout there which will have an effect.

There is no doubt the flexibility and quality of the bass with a bit of nous in EQ and Sound manipulation and playing will get you there without much of a perceptible difference.

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Which pups / preamp combo would you say come closest to the classic Fender P sound? 

Classic Fender P sound is a purely passive P bass - but what is classic to your ears?

51-52

64-65

They are all different 

Edited by Cuzzie

A reverse P is not gonna give the classic p sound.
It may provide a sound you prefer or is different enough to offer a tonal difference but... *ramble alert* I have a great amp which has a three band semi para eq (which can be turned on/off). The voice of the pre amp in said amp can sound a tad bass heavy (or if you dig that it can sound perfect). If I plug in my jazz or short scale I can hear some of that color but when I engage and tweak the eq I can ‘clean up’ the sound and it is very noticeable in a positive way. This is when we have to consider the entire signal chain and also allow for each type of bass we use - too much scoop in an ‘all on full’ jazz,  reduce some ‘mid mids’ on a short scale (cheers @Osiris for your observations on that one)  to allow a bit more clarity and ultimately enhance any bass to create a more complete bass sound either for solo noodling or ensemble playing - basically EQ’ingto suit the application!

If we need to be told what the bass/pick up is doing rather than listening to an audio example (you tube compression etc etc not withstanding) then we’re looking to be told what we want to hear rather than hearing what its doing and understanding how it can be manipulated with our own gear, our EQ’S, preamps and knowing how to get the sound we like. 

I think this happens a lot on forums that people love to read a florid description of what the thing they’re searching for ‘does’ (what a bass is doing or a pick up combination offers). I home brew and the description of hops and yeasts flavours can get quite ott so it’s not unique to basses!

The amp has a big cut in the lows the bass control is adding back some 30hz mids boosting 350ish to bulk out the jazz and treble not too zingy as the voice of the amp is adding some higher treble too along with the inherent voice of the bass/pick ups  

758BFC74-13CE-4080-B976-98B6EE8A88AA.jpeg

Edited by krispn
Pic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

yeah fair point

do any Sandberg VM pup / EQ combos come close to any of the above classic Fender P sounds? If so please spill the beans

Of course they can, but it entirely depends on what else you use it with, you’ve probably read what I have written (or not!) about what the standard Sandberg pick up options can do a few times on this thread, the last post a few pages back, and that includes the Delano’s you weren’t necessarily a massive fan of a few years ago, but your ability to manipulate them has probably changed as you have changed, your gear has changed and the work you have put in to improve since then.

As an example - if you want the Classic Jamerson Sound and to have it as nailed on as possible, be prepared to bang on massive rope Labella flats on there, raise your action and vary where you pick on the strings - the sound I get with my spring rolls I could probably get a fuller bigger sound closer to the bridge than you could with your more delicate elegant fingers. 
You want Carol Kaye - get your palm muting pick technique on point and take it from there.

They will all Get you there, but each pick up will require some differing EQ manipulation (I’ve used all the standard issues ones as well as other brands) be it on board or on amp or with the various pedals at your disposal , or if you are keeping the same EQ vary where you play.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks gents, that's helpful. Your post on the variety of 'Berg pup options a while back was definitely a good one but I won't be rushing back to Delano's any time soon, though!

An option suggested to me on this thread was to buy a passive VS4 and change the pick ups to something more like the old Fenders. Think Creamery pick ups were the favoured option and having priced them its not a big cost to get that Fender sound in a bass that is far superior IMO to most Fenders you pick up.

Just a thought. Def something i might look into.

I like my VM4 as it is mainly because its almost the perfect bass for me. A slimmer neck would probably make it 100% perfect but i really am nit-picking now. Its still one of the best necks i've played on a bass.

Dave

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

An option suggested to me on this thread was to buy a passive VS4 and change the pick ups to something more like the old Fenders. Think Creamery pick ups were the favoured option and having priced them its not a big cost to get that Fender sound in a bass that is far superior IMO to most Fenders you pick up.

Just a thought. Def something i might look into.

I like my VM4 as it is mainly because its almost the perfect bass for me. A slimmer neck would probably make it 100% perfect but i really am nit-picking now. Its still one of the best necks i've played on a bass.

Dave

It’s a very good suggestion, and 1 I endorse. I deliberately didn’t suggest that in this instance as I know @Al Krow likes in general to have an active bass with on board EQ, 3 band the most likely culprit, likes a bass to be stock and un modded and as he doesn’t solder would need to have the work done by someone else hence extra expense and has a load of options in the amp and pedal department that would achieve what he wants - in all likelihood.....

• Like 2