Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

15 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Was beginning to like the look of Sandbergs, particularly the California P with the MM at the bridge. 

Had a fiddle with the configurator, but it won't do me a 5 string in any model 😡

Then I realised they're now subject to import duty post-Brexit.

I guess that's me out, then 😥

You never know

you may see one second hand or in a shoppe over here you like - keep the faith

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Was beginning to like the look of Sandbergs, particularly the California P with the MM at the bridge. 

Had a fiddle with the configurator, but it won't do me a 5 string in any model 😡

That’s odd, I’ve just been able to do a Cali VM5. I know the configurator has just has a refresh but it’s all working for me. 

@Lfalex v1.1 Surely the best shout is to order whatever you want through a UK dealer, then you don't have to worry about such things? I can absolutely recommend Mark at Classic & Cool Guitars to help you get what you're looking for! 

They've relaunched the configurator this week so there may be some bugs... keep trying!

• Like 1

Interests sake, the config I made up earlier of my old VM5 Supreme, here they are side by side. I think I prefer the new shape looks wise. Playability, agree with you ^
the newer shape is lighter, comfier and fits better. Credit where it’s due, taking that classic shape and making it subtlety your own isn’t easy!

69091E7B-EF37-4544-A691-11E7919A4DF3.jpeg

How is the weight on the newer California VM 4-strings? Do they fluctuate wildly, or is it quite consistent? I'm considering getting them to build one with Electra dimension neck, but afraid I end up with an anchor. Reason I ask is that I see a lot of different weights being thrown around when people show their basses.  :)

56 minutes ago, knicknack said:

@deadline I've had three over the last couple of years and they've all been very similar. Far lighter than most Js or Ps i've played! 

Agree, My Cali VM4 is quite noticeably lighter than my Geddy Jazz or Precison Deluxe PJ. In fact its lighter than any of my other basses except the Yamaha BX1. Perfect balance on the strap too.

Dave

5 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

Sandberg is one of the few makes I’ve never owned. 
How is build quality compared to the competition? I just stumbled across their 35year anniversary model and it looks wonderful. The price doesn’t though! 

Love the Cobra.

Anyway having played and owned quite a few different basses over 40+ years i find the VM4 i bought 18mths ago to be one of the best basses i've tried. Quality is 1st class especially compared to some Fenders i've owned and tried. Neck is a dream to play with such a low action because of the Plek system. I'm down at circa 1.5mm on E string. Being a hard player at times i've found other basses all i could get was between 2 - 2.5mm.

Bass came with the low action too.

I get no fret buzz and neck is almost perfectly straight. 

Quality of pickups and pre-amp appears to be up there with the best of them IMO. Knobs feel firm and smooth rather than loose like my Fenders. 

My only negative on the VM4 is that the MM pick up doesn't have the Stingray sound but is more mid focused but i can live with that.

Machine heads are nice too and reasoably tight but again smooth.

All in all i would highly recommend the Sanberg quality. 

Dave

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Love the Cobra.

Anyway having played and owned quite a few different basses over 40+ years i find the VM4 i bought 18mths ago to be one of the best basses i've tried. Quality is 1st class especially compared to some Fenders i've owned and tried. Neck is a dream to play with such a low action because of the Plek system. I'm down at circa 1.5mm on E string. Being a hard player at times i've found other basses all i could get was between 2 - 2.5mm.

Bass came with the low action too.

I get no fret buzz and neck is almost perfectly straight. 

Quality of pickups and pre-amp appears to be up there with the best of them IMO. Knobs feel firm and smooth rather than loose like my Fenders. 

My only negative on the VM4 is that the MM pick up doesn't have the Stingray sound but is more mid focused but i can live with that.

Machine heads are nice too and reasoably tight but again smooth.

All in all i would highly recommend the Sanberg quality. 

Dave

Thanks Dave. The problem is they are rarely seen here in Canada. I prefer to pick a bass up and see how it feels , but may have to take a chance a ship one over! 
the only experience I had with Delano’s was on my Mayones. I hated them and put in Barts, with East. 
so that’s the only thing I’d be concerned about as they seem to only use Delano’s. 

18 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

Sandberg is one of the few makes I’ve never owned. 
How is build quality compared to the competition? I just stumbled across their 35year anniversary model and it looks wonderful. The price doesn’t though! 

I recently got my first Sandberg - a california tm5 sl. The build quality on all the important things is good and it's my favorite Bass I've owned. Great playability and sound. I'd recommended it. 

However, to be honest there are a few minor things that aren't quite up to the quality of my previous more expensive Dingwall or cheaper Ibanez. Battery compartment pokes out a bit and has the sort of opening you get on a £10 toy, slight gap where the neck meets the body on one side, pickguard raises up at one part, pots don't all have the same resistance, needs tuning a bit more often.....all minor things though. 

36 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

Thanks Dave. The problem is they are rarely seen here in Canada. I prefer to pick a bass up and see how it feels , but may have to take a chance a ship one over! 
the only experience I had with Delano’s was on my Mayones. I hated them and put in Barts, with East. 
so that’s the only thing I’d be concerned about as they seem to only use Delano’s. 

Where in Canada?

If you are a hop skip from Chicago then Chicago Music Exchange used to stock them.

Build quality - never doubt it - phenomenal as is the care they give to customers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1