Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

Yes, just listening to the one gig I played with it to find some examples for Al and the tone impressed me all over again, damn… 

It's more about space than money, but I could be heartless and get rid of a Jazz bass (or two!). Decisions, decisions...

Bye bye Jazz(es)

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That's helpful, thanks Gav. I've got a very decent PJ in my Yammy BB and the 735A would be very difficult to beat in terms of value for the quality on offer. So a P MM set up would be a nice alternative, but if its closer to a P "J" from what you're saying, that would be OK too, and I like that it has 22 frets rather than 20 on a Sire (24 would be ideal). 

I'm totally cool with a clean preamp on a bass, the tone for me tends to be primarily driven by the pups and interaction with the body and neck of the bass itself and I've got plenty of tone shaping options on my pedal board and amp. But that initial 'core' bass tone IMO needs to come from the bass itself - it's harder to create something that's not there in the first place in my experience, although I know that some folk do swear by eg the Sadowsky preamps pedals. 

What are you finding currently works for your basses eq wise (ball park figures let’s say on your main gigging bass). You noticing and sweet spots in terms of amp settings. Be interesting to hear what tweaks you’ve settled on and what you’re hoping a MM will add. I really dig some 300-400 boost with the jazz!

Edited by krispn

7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Don't think there are any videos of me with this bass, but there is an audio of the only gig I ever payed with it - this might be a good example of the bass's tone - but remember I use a pick due a hand injury, so it might not be quite as fluent as some players. Probably best to skip the verses and start at about 3'30 in, the long instrumental starts there. https://thegratefuldudes.bandcamp.com/track/dancing-in-the-streets  some reasonably audible bass on this as well: https://thegratefuldudes.bandcamp.com/track/scarlet-begonias-6

Bloody hell. If you're not "fluent" then god help me (and I suspect a few others).
Great versions of those tracks - really well played. I find Phil Lesh's style very difficult to get my head round. I read somewhere that "he played everything apart from the root and everywhere but on the beat"! I guess this is a bit tongue in cheek but there's an element of truth in there as I find his playing quite off the wall (although not in any way atonal), yet it utterly fits in with the Dead's music. Anyway, I think you're a cracking player and you've got a wonderful band there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you - in truth, about 80% of Phil's bass playing is fairly conventional, but that gets ignored as the other 20% is just so weird, yet so right.

The Grateful Dudes are a wonderful band, but I left a month or two ago as I simply didn't have enough time left for other musical and non-musical projects. I'm still playing the Dead, but with a local band (Franklin's Tower) and having a lot of fun in the process. All things must change.

• Like 1

Here's a YT clip from our own Andy Boorman (Moonbass) of a Panther Special 5er, which gives it a very good tonal work out as part of his sales pitch...I very nearly bought this bass 4 years ago (and might have done if I'd seen this video at the time)! 

And this is the current competition for me, which wasn't available 4 years back  - Tyler playing my old bass!

Be really interested in what you guys think in terms of the tonal A/B of these basses. Having heard them both side by side tonight, I suspect I know already where I will be landing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Be really interested in what you guys think in terms of the tonal A/B of these basses. Having heard them both side by side tonight, I suspect I know already where I will be landing.

Your opinion is the only one that will matter - it depends if you’re trying to convince yourself that you’re already happy with the BB735 this time around or you’re just thinking out loud again.
Ultimately get the bass that fits your tonal needs and playing style. The sandberg clip sounds a bit overly compressed but that’s to be expected I suppose as it’s an older clip but they both sound versatile. The subtleties could be lost in the larger signal chain and once you add drive filter and synth the feel and playability might be better deciding factors. 

@FinnDave - hey Dave, I appreciate that the recording / signal chain will impact on what we're hearing and certainly on a YT clip, as krispn has pointed out. But does the recording posted above come pretty close to your Berg's tone as you hear it in person at home?

I can vouch that Tyler's recording of the Yammy pretty much nails the tones it delivers. 

31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@FinnDave - hey Dave, I appreciate that the recording / signal chain will impact on what we're hearing and certainly on a YT clip, as krispn has pointed out. But does the recording posted above come pretty close to your Berg's tone as you hear it in person at home?

I can vouch that Tyler's recording of the Yammy pretty much nails the tones it delivers. 

Yes, the characteristics of the bass's tone are there on the recording, there's an almost fretless sound to it at times - but those are steel rounds played with a 3mm pick!

I'll have to get it off the wall and play it again - something I haven't done for months.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ramsay777 said:

For those that have been in contact with Sandberg via email, did you use - [email protected]?

That's the only one I can find, I'm thinking about giving them a shout once I finally sell my Telecaster and I want to discuss some different colour options....

I'm sure I used a different one for customer service but I can't for the life of me find it :(  I'll keep looking...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...