Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

3 hours ago, DJ '65 said:

It looks ace, I wonder if having the strap button on the now upper horn would hang better and bring the headstock back closer to the player? If so I’d be down for that because they were the 2 things that put me off when I tried a couple ☹️

That was exactly why I didn't buy a 48 in May last year. Got a VM4 instead.

I really wanted to like the 48, but lacking that horn meant the playing position was all wrong for me and it didn't hang well enough for me (I tried two 48s and I wouldn't say the neck dive was terrible, they clearly have tried to address that as much as it is possible with that shape, but there's only so much you can do). This one will certainly improve those two aspects :)

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ProfJames said:

Here is a new one available....................https://reverb.com/item/31530220-sandberg-forty-eight-black-cr-stripes-hardcore-aged

Many thanks mate but yeah, as cuzzie said it was the total reverse that appealed to me with the hope that it cured the 2 problems I had with the standard 48. If the truth be known, the 48 is my all time favourite looking bass. You can imagine my disappointment when I played my ultimate bass only to find it didn’t quite hit the spot ☹️

• Like 2

@dmccombe7 not sure if you like an5 banger, but even if you only like 4, use the B string as a rest, and this is plenty bling for you!

Sandberg California Marlowe DK 2019 Vintage gold

https://reverb.com/item/34194744-sandberg-california-marlowe-dk-2019-vintage-gold?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=34194744

• Like 1

Dave's ad in the FS got me looking into these and the 5 string version in particular.

Dunno if anyone has or had one of these in the 5 string version?

What I've managed to find from the net (Sandberg website, PMT online and Music Radar review) is that it has:

- a P split coil neck pup + humbucker bridge pup. Is that correct about the neck pup i.e. this is a variation of the VM series? If so that would be ideal;

- on the 5 string the available string length is a little over 35" and positive comments about the low B;

- be very interested on views of the Sandberg pups vs the Delanos which, as I'm sure folk are bored with hearing(!), I personally found too hi-fi on my TM4, preferring more of a bite/growl. For reference I do like the pups on my Ibby SR Premium and Yammy BB basses a lot;

- 3 band EQ on the 'Special', which is a must for me, and seems to have active / passive option which is also a nice to have;

- PMT only provide the shipping weight not the weight of the bass (lol!) although Music Radar describes it as having 'modest weight' and nothing on the Berg website from what I could tell. I do love mahogany and walnut woods and I will be pleasantly surprised if this is a sub 9.5 lb bass?

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I'd go for the four string, Al. I happen to know of one for sale!

Yes, I do too Dave 😁 but alas I'm now a dyed in the wool 5 string player...I would love to pick your brains about yours though, which I know you were very much in love with pre Covid, but seems you have reverted back to Ibby? Particularly interested in the weight of the bass and tone from the pups. A clip / recording of you playing it would be marvellous!

Edited by Al Krow

What specifically are you after tone wise? PJ or you wanting a meatier MM bridge pick up sound? I’ve personally gigged this pick up combo in a VM4 (tuned  BEAD) and a 5 string 48. They are good pick ups but I was in passive mode 99% of the time so never really engaged the pre amp much but it certainly can be heard working once engaged. I found the bridge HB to be more jazz voiced where I think I’d have preferred a ‘bigger’ tone but I was conscious of that before I bought them. I’ve played the three band in other Sandberg basses over at the factory and it’s a very clean pre. My advice to you is nab a SL 5’er and spec a three band. The eq will make up for a slight loss in lows from the mass or lack thereof but for your desire to have a lightweight bass (sub 4kg maybe for the 5). The body wood can be a bit more prone to a knock but you look after your gear and it’s really well suited to slap which I know you’re keen to develop. 

• Like 1

On 16/10/2020 at 19:10, BassApprentice said:

Hardcore aged reserve. £1000 less than retail. Less than an hour from me. Erm, help.

Screenshot_20201016-190721.png

My old bass! With an extra couple of hundred quid off what he paid. I’d say it’s quite the bargain plus I’m confident he’d be up for trades.

Edited by krispn

That's helpful, thanks Gav. I've got a very decent PJ in my Yammy BB and the 735A would be very difficult to beat in terms of value for the quality on offer. So a P MM set up would be a nice alternative, but if its closer to a P "J" from what you're saying, that would be OK too, and I like that it has 22 frets rather than 20 on a Sire (24 would be ideal). 

I'm totally cool with a clean preamp on a bass, the tone for me tends to be primarily driven by the pups and interaction with the body and neck of the bass itself and I've got plenty of tone shaping options on my pedal board and amp. But that initial 'core' bass tone IMO needs to come from the bass itself - it's harder to create something that's not there in the first place in my experience, although I know that some folk do swear by eg the Sadowsky preamps pedals. 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But that initial 'core' bass tone IMO needs to come from the bass itself - it's harder to create something that's not there in the first place in my experience, although I know that some folk do swear by eg the Sadowsky preamps pedals. 

It’s also pretty hard to shave off half a kilo or more but I get what you’re saying. I’ve played the SL and the preamp works well in giving a fuller sound. Defo worth a look if you get a chance.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Yes, I do too Dave 😁 but alas I'm now a dyed in the wool 5 string player...I would love to pick your brains about yours though, which I know you were very much in love with pre Covid, but seems you have reverted back to Ibby? Particularly interested in the weight of the bass and tone from the pups. A clip / recording of you playing it would be marvellous!

Not much I can say about the Panther, as I haven't played it much. Not a lot of space in my home practice room and it cost too much to risk getting dings in the headstock.

The Ibbys are all gone, one was sold and the other swapped for a Jazz bass - basically, gave up on the six strings and went back to four a year ago.

I'll weigh the Panther for you when I find my scales - but the one gig I played with it was over 2 1/2 hours long and it wasn't causing any shoulder or back problems. The tone is wonderful, especially the 'singing' quality of the higher strings - but I don't  want to think about that or I'll talk myself out of selling it! Main reason it has to go is space and money - plus I've left the band I was playing larger gigs with and it's over the top for a few festivals and small local shows.

Don't think there are any videos of me with this bass, but there is an audio of the only gig I ever payed with it - this might be a good example of the bass's tone - but remember I use a pick due a hand injury, so it might not be quite as fluent as some players. Probably best to skip the verses and start at about 3'30 in, the long instrumental starts there. https://thegratefuldudes.bandcamp.com/track/dancing-in-the-streets  some reasonably audible bass on this as well: https://thegratefuldudes.bandcamp.com/track/scarlet-begonias-6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Not much I can say about the Panther, as I haven't played it much. Not a lot of space in my home practice room and it cost too much to risk getting dings in the headstock.

The Ibbys are all gone, one was sold and the other swapped for a Jazz bass - basically, gave up on the six strings and went back to four a year ago.

I'll weigh the Panther for you when I find my scales - but the one gig I played with it was over 2 1/2 hours long and it wasn't causing any shoulder or back problems. The tone is wonderful, especially the 'singing' quality of the higher strings - but I don't  want to think about that or I'll talk myself out of selling it! Main reason it has to go is space and money - plus I've left the band I was playing larger gigs with and it's over the top for a few festivals and small local shows.

Don't think there are any videos of me with this bass, but there is an audio of the only gig I ever payed with it - this might be a good example of the bass's tone - but remember I use a pick due a hand injury, so it might not be quite as fluent as some players. Probably best to skip the verses and start at about 3'30 in, the long instrumental starts there. https://thegratefuldudes.bandcamp.com/track/dancing-in-the-streets  some reasonably audible bass on this as well: https://thegratefuldudes.bandcamp.com/track/scarlet-begonias-6

I’ve played the Panther a reasonable amount  - I would say if the piggy bank will allow - keep it - it’s a wonderful thing

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I’ve played the Panther a reasonable amount  - I would say if the piggy bank will allow - keep it - it’s a wonderful thing

Yes, just listening to the one gig I played with it to find some examples for Al and the tone impressed me all over again, damn… 

It's more about space than money, but I could be heartless and get rid of a Jazz bass (or two!). Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1