Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

2 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

How does this Configurator work then regarding price ? Is there 20% UK VAT to be added to the total ? 

Since you are in Fife - give GuitarGuitar Glasgow a phone. They order in their own spec of Sandberg as well as standard stuff so they will be able to help you out with it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

How does this Configurator work then regarding price ? Is there 20% UK VAT to be added to the total ? 

That I don’t know. Drop them an email. 
How much fun is it though? I love the heavy relics - I think the relic’ing is better than the Fender custom shop. They look amazing!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sammybass said:

That I don’t know. Drop them an email. 
How much fun is it though? I love the heavy relics - I think the relic’ing is better than the Fender custom shop. They look amazing!

Well...i bought the copper matte Nighthawk & the courier managed to relic it himself. There was a massive hole in the box near the neck but the damage was on the body too me they took it out had a look and put it back in the box upside down...stunning colour with ebony board aswell

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Opticaleye said:

They're the Sandberg ceramic. My suspicion is that they are made by Delano to Sandberg's spec.

I've previously owned a TM4, an active TT4, and I currently own a TT4 passive.

I'm a massive fan of the Sandberg Alnicos in the current TT4 passive and find them very versatile. The front pickup by itself is way better than any Fender Jazz I've owned or played and both pickups together is a great sound too. 

You could be right, but I am almost certain the Black Labels are wound out Far East.

I’ll agree for sure on their ceramic pick ups - ones in my DK are smashing

1 hour ago, Sammybass said:

That’s what I figured. It sounds great though even with the existing dead strings. New Elixirs going on tomorrow so I’ll whack it through my Barefaced BT2 and see what it’s got!! 😃😃😃

It’ll have big balls

3 hours ago, TK4261 said:

Hi Everyone,

I ordered a Sandberg Lionel short scale 6 months ago and it has finally shipped. Should have by middle of next week and I will post some pics and a little review when I get it. :sun_bespectacled:

Sandberg Lionel.png

I like that - a lot!

• Like 3

I'm not sure if I've ever shared a photo of my old Sandberg (sadly moved on in one of my '5 strings only' clear outs, only to go back to 4 - again). So I shall remedy that situation forthwith (apologies if I added it many moons ago).

PB090001.JPG

• Like 6

Sorry, late to the conversation, but back on pickups:

After nearly 10 years and many different Sandberg models /configurations, I've found the following;

Sandberg large pole piece standard pickups - they're pretty good all-rounders, some say a bit lacking in output, but I've never found that especially. They are pretty well balanced, but quite clean /neutral (some would say too clinical). 

Sandberg Black Labels - I ordered a Cali VM5 with these as I'd heard great things, and after 9 months patiently waiting, I ended up selling the bass almost immediately.... I found these pickups to certainly be very aggressive /hot, but to my ears they just didn't seem to have any 'tone' to them, the neck P pickup and the MM bridge pickup sounded almost the same! I know others love them, but that was my experience.

TT Passive alnico V pickups - These are probably the best pickups I've ever had, toneful, organic, but plenty of guts. I know my tastes have changed a bit over the years, but these are really great. I believe they're the same as in two of the signature models, the Marlowe DK and the Torsten Sholtz, which I guess says something also. 

As with everything though, it's entirely subjective/personal 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Sorry, late to the conversation, but back on pickups:

After nearly 10 years and many different Sandberg models /configurations, I've found the following;

Sandberg large pole piece standard pickups - they're pretty good all-rounders, some say a bit lacking in output, but I've never found that especially. They are pretty well balanced, but quite clean /neutral (some would say too clinical). 

Sandberg Black Labels - I ordered a Cali VM5 with these as I'd heard great things, and after 9 months patiently waiting, I ended up selling the bass almost immediately.... I found these pickups to certainly be very aggressive /hot, but to my ears they just didn't seem to have any 'tone' to them, the neck P pickup and the MM bridge pickup sounded almost the same! I know others love them, but that was my experience.

TT Passive alnico V pickups - These are probably the best pickups I've ever had, toneful, organic, but plenty of guts. I know my tastes have changed a bit over the years, but these are really great. I believe they're the same as in two of the signature models, the Marlowe DK and the Torsten Sholtz, which I guess says something also. 

As with everything though, it's entirely subjective/personal 🤷🏻‍♂️

Any experience with the VS4 passives ?

According to Sandberg's website, my Panther special has a pair of Sandberg 'Trapez' pickups. They certainly sound good!

I returned to PMT in Oxford a couple of days ago, first time since I wandered in back in early January and wandered out with the Panther and a nearly £2k hole in my credit card. I was there to try an amp, which I bought, but they'd set it up next to a lovely natural body/rosewood (dark wood, anyway) fingerboard active Sandberg Jazz - I had to force myself to ignore it!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

The Panther bass was the first Sandberg i had ever really paid attention to. Saw it in Bass Direct but couldn't justify the cost at the time.

Will need to try the VS4 at some point as i def want a nice P bass. Could be down to Fender Vintera or VS4. 

My band mates tell me to stick with the VM4 as it does everything and sounds and plays fantastic. I like the simplicity of one ick up passive basses. No batteries and a simple tone control. Life should be simple............like me. :D

Dave

• Like 1

I had one of the previous model Cali I VS4 passive basses.  I though it was a cracker and easily the measure of any P bass.  Eventaully sold it to buy a TT4 (passive).  Still miss it tbh and keep looking out for it.  Good to see Sandberg are offering the Cali II VS4 in passive now.

53 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Any experience with the VS4 passives ?

Technically a VM4 in passive mode, should get you nearly there. Personally I believe the M rout and loss of wood alters the sound - I know others don’t share the same view, but I think it holds water, any kind of PJ never sounds the same as a P with the J turned off.

I owned a VS4 passive, Sandberg pick up, wonderfully constructed bass, but couldn’t put my finger on why it wasn’t quite right, it ticked every box apart from the feeling. Maybe now I would experiment with different pick ups, but I sold it to a mate of mine who has a very very discerning ear and is a great player and Sandberg fan - he felt the same. Could just be that one, but it was the weakest of Sandy’s I have played - we are btw talking about something being 8-8.5 of 10 as opposed to 9 and above which is most Sandy’s!

Panther is an absolute sleeping giant of a bass, the body is so slick and the pick ups very refined, everyone has to play one at least once.

Regarding pick ups, I have played probably most configs of pick ups and types - Sandberg big pole/small pole/black label, Delano’s, Haüssel’s big and small pole - and this is on their own or with a pre-amp.

What @TRBboy says holds water - a a gross generalisation.......

Delano - more hifi, but its not sterile and boring, versatile, good for modern music, great if you like using effects to sculpt a sound

Sandy Big Pole - Nice pick ups, well blanched, leaning towards the more vintage vibe, not my fave personally 

Sandy small pole - vintage, beautiful sounding, just the right output to be class on their own, or be able to take a pedal - My Fave out of the lot by far. MarloweDK and TSBS are gems of jazzes. TSBS used to have Seymour Duncan pick ups, now it’s in house Sandy’s.

Sandy black label - more aggressive, more punch, but you can get delicacy out of them, needs a bit of coaxing - great in a bass like the Superlight, where it needs a bit more oomph as the body normally floats away with Helium.

Haüssel’s small pole - very mid range, very hot, J pick ups almost sound like a P - great on their own, difficult to get right with any preamps and pedals, I would need completely different settings between that and another bass like the DK.

Haüssel big pole - more of the above really - very very full sounding and cracking, but hot!

Delano 2band pre amp is very good actually, forget the nonesense about 3band EQ’s being essential, it’s rubbish, this covers you for about 99% of everything you will need and its design from active passive not changing your tone is great. For extra cost they will put in a Delano 3 band.

Noll preamp - they can Source this for you as he is in Germany, or you can aftermarket it. Another good one but more aggressive than the Delano in its sound.

Don’t  forget strings, they are really responsive basses to string types, don’t be afraid to change from your usual, cheaper than a new bass and may unleash what you want.

Quick overview from my point of view, lots of good stuff, loads to cater to everyone’s needs.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me what the standard strings are on a Sandberg Panther Special? They have a singing like quality to them, even acoustically, that I have never found in any other bass. I suspect it was this that tipped the balance between me trying it and putting it band and trying it and buying it!

It's also the only bass I have played that I can get get through 2 1/2 hour plus gig without any cramp or pain in my left hand.

• Like 1

If it’s the standard Sandberg issue I think they are mad by GHS, and are Steels

46 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Can anyone tell me what the standard strings are on a Sandberg Panther Special? They have a singing like quality to them, even acoustically, that I have never found in any other bass. I suspect it was this that tipped the balance between me trying it and putting it band and trying it and buying it!

It's also the only bass I have played that I can get get through 2 1/2 hour plus gig without any cramp or pain in my left hand.

The panther is a special bass

14 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

If it’s the standard Sandberg issue I think they are mad by GHS, and are Steels

The panther is a special bass

It certainly is, just took mine off the wall for the first time since its only gig (last February) and sat down to play it - it's still in tune and still sounds wonderful. I am tempted to take it to this afternoon's field gig, but I think I'd rather take something less special (and costly) if it's sitting in the sun at 30 degrees plus. I remember taking my Alembic to the SoL party in Kent in 2018 and was constantly worried about it - that was a scorching hot day as well!

Thanks for the string advice, I'll invest in a set and see what they sound like on a regular Jazz bass. Must be decades since I played steels!

I presume the diagram is showing you a plus/minus mid knob on it.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work - you have 3 holes it should be fine - you just need to check your cavity depth with the stacked knob - so long as it is deep enough carry on.

For reference this is the standard Glock 2 band EQ they use I have lurking around.

9533FA2B-ABAF-4D54-ACEA-E12FFD5CD195.thumb.jpeg.c336982aac761c59c01a6664a826ce04.jpeg

• Thanks 1