Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

19 hours ago, goonerjoe said:

A few months ago I had a wave of new bass GAS that i haven't felt in years, so after trying one out in Bass Direct I ordered a custom built VS4 last month (nothing too flashy, just sunburst/tort combo that I couldn't find anywhere in stock)... I cannot wait. However, it won't be ready until Week 52 (ie Christmas). Does anyone have any idea if it could be finished sooner, or do I have to curb my impatience :lol:

Side note - I work for the GB subsidary of a German company, and if my experience is anything to go by the answer will be a resounding Nein.

There is an accellerated programme but you have to have bought before.  Looks like Sandberg are starting to get traction in the USA and there are a few larger orders going through the factory that we have to fit in around.

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, SirMoxie said:

After a 7 month wait I received my beautiful custom built TM4 yesterday and I am absolutely in love with it!  It's awesome in so many ways. Thanks to everyone on the board for answering all of my questions when I was getting ready to place my order. ❤️ 

0F1675FC-D527-44B0-9AF4-8C929C3DB8BC.jpg

9406D04A-D349-42A3-B84F-4DE4082F3871.jpg

Lovely bass, and considering getting one. Could you please tell me how much it weights? Thanks! ❤️

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ead said:

Apologies, I didn't post a pic of the Electra post modding as I was waiting for some knobs to be delivered.  They were, and here it is.

IMG_20200722_122054.thumb.jpg.df678b66f4cbeffc34ea1d9b6f8980d7.jpg

Looks great! How do those pickups sound? 

I'm sure I recognise those knobs from somewhere.... 🤔😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Looks great! How do those pickups sound? 

I'm sure I recognise those knobs from somewhere.... 🤔😂

Pickup is great.  Not quite as in your face as a 'Quarter Pounder' but meaty with good lows and mids.  As to the other thing, I'm a long-term Sadowsky knob fan.  Can I say that? :ph34r:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Cool amp andy, I like that 👍

Cheers, I had a late 80's silverface I bought from a mate as he did not have enough room at the time. That changed so I gave it back but missed it. Then chanced upon this one. Previous owner had from nearly new.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, andytoad said:

Cheers, I had a late 80's silverface I bought from a mate as he did not have enough room at the time. That changed so I gave it back but missed it. Then chanced upon this one. Previous owner had from nearly new.

It's really very nice. 😊 Is it a 60's one? 

On 22/07/2020 at 18:16, ead said:

Apologies, I didn't post a pic of the Electra post modding as I was waiting for some knobs to be delivered.  They were, and here it is.

IMG_20200722_122054.thumb.jpg.df678b66f4cbeffc34ea1d9b6f8980d7.jpg

Question for the wise members: A couple of these Electras have popped up nearby. One is similar (without mods etc) to the one above the other is the newer shape. Does anyone know if there are any other differences apart from the shape?

Also - the newer shape one has been gigged, the photos don't show clearly how gigged and is £100 less than the older model, which looks almost brand new. Which would you choose? I will of course make my own choice but always good to have opinions!

• Like 1

Cuzzie's right, I think the main difference is the shape, plus the newer one probably has the newer lightweight tuners. 

Fwiw the newer shaped californias are generally a bit lighter, and for me the ergonomics are better. 

• Like 2

I like those control knobs with the white marker. Its always nice to see at a quick glance where my settings are as i do change them occasionally thru the set. When its dark i'm trying to locate the centre notch and move it from there and on the odd time where i've forgotten where my settings are you can't easily see the black groove on the control knob.

Dave

• Like 2

I've been using my Fender PJ last week at home with nickel roundwounds and thought maybe i should go back to it but decided at last minute to take my trusty VM4 with flats to first rehearsal in proper studios and i'm so glad i did. It just feels so much like coming home after a break away. 

Dave

So far as shape goes, I prefer the old shape to look at, but to play the new shape is king.

The new tuners are cool, the only gripe being changing tuners now defo means another drill hole, and I don’t think there is a hipshot D tuner which matches

• Like 2

I've only ever owned the 1st gen Electras so can't comment.  The v1 VS4 above is light at 3.7kgs or a little over 8lbs in old money.  The tuners are per the pic below so it looks like a D tuner direct replacement is more likely than for the newer 3-point items.

Either probably represent excellent value when compared to equivalent F branded items.  Build quality on mine is excellent, particularly the fret work and the neck is great too.

IMG_20200727_141945.thumb.jpg.7b6c7eb1e087e68795dfc84f12036f46.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ead said:

I've only ever owned the 1st gen Electras so can't comment.  The v1 VS4 above is light at 3.7kgs or a little over 8lbs in old money.  The tuners are per the pic below so it looks like a D tuner direct replacement is more likely than for the newer 3-point items.

Either probably represent exellent value when compared to equivalent F branded items.  Build quality on mine is excellent, particularly the fret work and the neck is great too.

IMG_20200727_141945.thumb.jpg.7b6c7eb1e087e68795dfc84f12036f46.jpg

Yeah those holes are fine for a BT7 (I think) drop tuner - did it on my DK and my old VS4.

The newer tuners I think only have 1 screw but on the side away from the nut

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Yeah those holes are fine for a BT7 (I think) drop tuner - did it on my DK and my old VS4.

The newer tuners I think only have 1 screw but on the side away from the nut

Yup. Here's my VM4 bearing some scarring after a "Hipshotectomy".

sandberg tuner.jpg

• Like 2