Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

34 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Wow @Cuzzie, some nice Sandbergs there!

Does the DK have the bridge pickup fractionally closer to the bridge than a normal TT then? 

And what about that Ken Taylor body? Did you get it like that or have you got the rest of it somewhere?! 😂 What are you going to do with it? 

Exactly - that for me is why the DK is king - it’s a big closer down in the 70s position and has a little extra bite. Passive, thinner profile neck - absolute joy.

Picked up the body as it was, been on the look out for Sandberg parts (not common!) and at some point Will basically restore it to some form of 5 string either a replica of the Ken, or a Ken with my twist

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Exactly - that for me is why the DK is king - it’s a big closer down in the 70s position and has a little extra bite. Passive, thinner profile neck - absolute joy.

Picked up the body as it was, been on the look out for Sandberg parts (not common!) and at some point Will basically restore it to some form of 5 string either a replica of the Ken, or a Ken with my twist

That will be very cool! Sandberg will make you a neck to go with the body.... But it won't be cheap! All the sandberg hardware can be bought online or throb a dealer I think. 

4 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

That will be very cool! Sandberg will make you a neck to go with the body.... But it won't be cheap! All the sandberg hardware can be bought online or throb a dealer I think. 

Already been in touch with Hölger about possibilities, hardware and electronics I am not worried about going exactly to script, I may even consider making my own neck, it’s the next stage I need to do in attempting bass building

• Like 1

I've had 5 Sandbergs over the years.  The first was a Cali I VS4.  I then moved to a black Cali II TT4 passive.  This gave way to a VM4 (with the P pickup the right way around) but I didn't really get on with this configuration.  I then ended up with what I had hoped would be two keepers  a custom red VS4 and a TT4.

Sadly I had to sell these along with a few other basses to raise some cash quickly for what I will describe as a 'family situation'.  Thankfully all behind us now and about to re-enter the fray with a custom TT4 passive that I'm spec'ing up.

Here are a few pics for y'all:

84037664_VS413.thumb.JPG.1e1a6833867df93d0d5f1981990fac13.JPG

350570448_Sandbergfamily01.JPG.86b4ffa8adb3ca67e1abd851b9fe600f.JPG

1851336521_TT4102.thumb.jpg.cfc04e1130e4fd88848c255e91ecf61e.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ead said:

I've had 5 Sandbergs over the years.  The first was a Cali I VS4.  I then moved to a black Cali II TT4 passive.  This gave way to a VM4 (with the P pickup the right way around) but I didn't really get on with this configuration.  I then ended up with what I had hoped would be two keepers  a custom red VS4 and a TT4.

Sadly I had to sell these along with a few other basses to raise some cash quickly for what I will describe as a 'family situation'.  Thankfully all behind us now and about to re-enter the fray with a custom TT4 passive that I'm spec'ing up.

Here are a few pics for y'all:

84037664_VS413.thumb.JPG.1e1a6833867df93d0d5f1981990fac13.JPG

350570448_Sandbergfamily01.JPG.86b4ffa8adb3ca67e1abd851b9fe600f.JPG

1851336521_TT4102.thumb.jpg.cfc04e1130e4fd88848c255e91ecf61e.jpg

I remember these basses well @ead, gorgeous!

Interesting that we've both ended up at the TT Passive. 

7 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I remember these basses well @ead, gorgeous!

Interesting that we've both ended up at the TT Passive. 

I guess I just like a J bass, plus I have the super J covered off with an ACG.

• Like 1

Just thinking about these alnico pickups in my new TT Passive; sandberg told me that they're not hum cancelling pickups, but I'm really struggling to detect any noise whatsoever with either pickup soloed! Not a bad thing at all, just saying. 🤔

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Just thinking about these alnico pickups in my new TT Passive; sandberg told me that they're not hum cancelling pickups, but I'm really struggling to detect any noise whatsoever with either pickup soloed! Not a bad thing at all, just saying. 🤔

Does it depend on your location?  So at home it might be fine, but then might not be ok when you go to a venue with the wrong type of stage lights (or whatever it is which causes hum)?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Does it depend on your location?  So at home it might be fine, but then might not be ok when you go to a venue with the wrong type of stage lights (or whatever it is which causes hum)?

Yeah true, could well be the case. Although my little Roland micro cube practice amp usually seems to make any hum sound 10 times worse, and it's quiet as a mouse! 

Just picked up this bad boy in exchange for a surprisingly modest amount of wonga.  Intended for general messing around and possible modding.  Just given the bass a good clean and a new set of strings.

Neck is a lovely satin finish with a vintage tint.

VS4.thumb.jpg.cce2f435369d85127833c997a3c7bd8f.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 9/10 used Sanberg Electra yesterday, and I really like it. Neck is one of the best I've tried, it's fairly lightweight and plays like a dream. It is even a little customised; the volume knob has gotten a push/pull for bypassing preamp. My only gripe is that I would like to replace the tuners for something lighter, but which Hipshot ultralights should I go for? 3/8 or 1/5?

762267923_Screenshot2020-07-19at22_41_56.thumb.png.aa14b69e7248f591188681531c694580.png

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, deadline said:

Bought a 9/10 used Sanberg Electra yesterday, and I really like it. Neck is one of the best I've tried, it's fairly lightweight and plays like a dream. It is even a little customised; the volume knob has gotten a push/pull for bypassing preamp. My only gripe is that I would like to replace the tuners for something lighter, but which Hipshot ultralights should I go for? 3/8 or 1/5?

762267923_Screenshot2020-07-19at22_41_56.thumb.png.aa14b69e7248f591188681531c694580.png

Unscrew and measure the bushings/holes and there is your answer - nice score on the bass

• Like 1

Just completed the mods on my Electra VS4.  It now sports a Martin Herrick '58 P bass pickups.  Martin tells me he made one of these for a big Iron Maiden fan then made a couple more while he was at it.  Mine is #3 of 3.  Cracking pickup it is too.

Electronics are all passive now with a V/T/T set of controls per spec of the Warwick Streamer CV basses that have a bass and treble tone control, made up for me by our very own KiOgon.   Not sure how much I'll use the bass pot but I had a third hole in the pickguard and thought "why not?".  Plus I've yet to find a reliable talent control circuit.

Taking the bass to band practice tomorrow for a good work out.

• Like 4

A few months ago I had a wave of new bass GAS that i haven't felt in years, so after trying one out in Bass Direct I ordered a custom built VS4 last month (nothing too flashy, just sunburst/tort combo that I couldn't find anywhere in stock)... I cannot wait. However, it won't be ready until Week 52 (ie Christmas). Does anyone have any idea if it could be finished sooner, or do I have to curb my impatience :lol:

Side note - I work for the GB subsidary of a German company, and if my experience is anything to go by the answer will be a resounding Nein.

1 hour ago, goonerjoe said:

A few months ago I had a wave of new bass GAS that i haven't felt in years, so after trying one out in Bass Direct I ordered a custom built VS4 last month (nothing too flashy, just sunburst/tort combo that I couldn't find anywhere in stock)... I cannot wait. However, it won't be ready until Week 52 (ie Christmas). Does anyone have any idea if it could be finished sooner, or do I have to curb my impatience :lol:

Side note - I work for the GB subsidary of a German company, and if my experience is anything to go by the answer will be a resounding Nein.

Their delivery estimates are normally pretty accurate, SOMETIMES a little early and rarely late. 

After a 7 month wait I received my beautiful custom built TM4 yesterday and I am absolutely in love with it!  It's awesome in so many ways. Thanks to everyone on the board for answering all of my questions when I was getting ready to place my order. ❤️ 

0F1675FC-D527-44B0-9AF4-8C929C3DB8BC.jpg

9406D04A-D349-42A3-B84F-4DE4082F3871.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Heresy perhaps, but I put some different knobs on my TT5 last night. I like them. 😊

IMG_20200720_221015.jpg

They look great IMO. I prefer them to the chrome on chrome look and they match the p/g.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ezbass said:

They look great IMO. I prefer them to the chrome on chrome look and they match the p/g.

I did spec it with black knobs because I also don't like chrome on chrome, but the sandberg ones weren't quite doing it for me, and I got a hard on over these sadowsky style ones. 🤷‍♂️🤪

IMG_20200720_215351.jpg

25 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I did spec it with black knobs because I also don't like chrome on chrome, but the sandberg ones weren't quite doing it for me, and I got a hard on over these sadowsky style ones. 🤷‍♂️🤪

IMG_20200720_215351.jpg

Still an improvement.

• Thanks 1