Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

I am now the proud owner of a California II TM4 Super Light. I have a few queries I just want to clear up...

1) Is the input jack supposed to have no screw on the thread?

2) Is the master volume knob meant to feel easier to turn compared to the other knobs? The grub screw for all the knobs is set tight. 

Congratulations!

Pictures or it never happened 😜

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Very nice indeed and what's your opinion on it so far @ClassicVibes ?

Dave

Well, once I had negated the non issues I was having...

I was blown away! The bass only weighs 6lbs 7ozs so is really easy on the back and shoulders. This teamed with my Neotech strap makes playing standing up a doddle.

The Black Label pickups are fantastic. Modern and punchy but they have a warmth that seems to be missing from a lot of pickups nowadays. The active preamp again is extremely versatile and a lot of different tones can be dialled in. Even on passive mode, the bass still feels alive and will have no problems cutting through in a live situation.

The neck is a joy to move around. The Sandberg tuners and bridge do a very good job of keeping everything stable - it takes a lot to make this bass go out of tune.

I know it's still early days but I can see this being one of the last basses I'll ever need. The EQ options on tap, the sound of the pickups, the feel of the neck, the quality of the hardware and the super light weight adds up to a fantastic bass. Not to mention the build quality which is top notch!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

Well, once I had negated the non issues I was having...

I was blown away! The bass only weighs 6lbs 7ozs so is really easy on the back and shoulders. This teamed with my Neotech strap makes playing standing up a doddle.

The Black Label pickups are fantastic. Modern and punchy but they have a warmth that seems to be missing from a lot of pickups nowadays. The active preamp again is extremely versatile and a lot of different tones can be dialled in. Even on passive mode, the bass still feels alive and will have no problems cutting through in a live situation.

The neck is a joy to move around. The Sandberg tuners and bridge do a very good job of keeping everything stable - it takes a lot to make this bass go out of tune.

I know it's still early days but I can see this being one of the last basses I'll ever need. The EQ options on tap, the sound of the pickups, the feel of the neck, the quality of the hardware and the super light weight adds up to a fantastic bass. Not to mention the build quality which is top notch!

Good to hear that, I got lucky to play the Cedar prototype, is this the last of the Cedars or the new Paulownia?

Paulownia is still a great wood and I agree with the assessment of the pick ups

16 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Good to hear that, I got lucky to play the Cedar prototype, is this the last of the Cedars or the new Paulownia?

Paulownia is still a great wood and I agree with the assessment of the pick ups

I believe it is the newer Paulownia. 

• Like 1

Generally configure your bass, save the number, go through a local dealer - as ever remember once configuration you can do things not on the configurator like different pre amp, pick ups etc aside from the stock, but there will be a surcharge

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

This has gave me a real itching for another Sandberg. Thinking of selling one of my basses to make room for another...

Has anyone used the configurator on Sandberg's website? Do you place an order with them directly or do you have to go through a dealer?

What do you fancy?

48 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

This has gave me a real itching for another Sandberg. Thinking of selling one of my basses to make room for another...

Has anyone used the configurator on Sandberg's website? Do you place an order with them directly or do you have to go through a dealer?

I would try Mark at Classic and Cool.  He has always given me the best prices for builds as is a Sandberg agent.  He always has a few in stock too.

https://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/sandberg-new-basses/

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Generally configure your bass, save the number, go through a local dealer - as ever remember once configuration you can do things not on the configurator like different pre amp, pick ups etc aside from the stock, but there will be a surcharge

This is exactly what I did.

I was at Guitar Guitar and explained to the assistant what I wanted. I got the bass specs as close as possible on the configurator, which produces a string of characters defining that particular configuration. Then at the shop I went through every departure from the one in the configurator. The assistant got to Sandberg, we discussed a few of the alternatives, agreed on a price, and the order was placed. Pretty easy.

52 minutes ago, ead said:

I would try Mark at Classic and Cool.  He has always given me the best prices for builds as is a Sandberg agent.  He always has a few in stock too.

https://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/sandberg-new-basses/

Yep that's where i got my white VM4 and Mark was extremely helpful. Not sure how much a shop takes in commission if they do and whether that changes with each shop. ?

Mine was already in his stock so wasn't a pre-order or special build.

Dave

24 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

TT Passive. In black with black pickguard, maple neck and black block inlays. A real 70s look. 😎

Fantastic - I would add a white pearloid guard As well At the time just so you can switcharoo 

38 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

TT Passive. In black with black pickguard, maple neck and black block inlays. A real 70s look. 😎

Almost what I'm dreaming of, but I'm heading towards a more Geddy look with a parchment p/g

image.png.fcf2bffebdd7ad40227ab71a68646f7a.png

2 hours ago, ead said:

Almost what I'm dreaming of, but I'm heading towards a more Geddy look with a parchment p/g

image.png.fcf2bffebdd7ad40227ab71a68646f7a.png

I quite fancy putting one of the pearl pick guards on my Geddy J bass like this one from Geddy's collection.

Fender Custom Shop USA Limited Geddy Lee 1972 Relic Jazz Bass ...

Think I’m finally getting this Sandberg thang...it’s a cheapy at £577 (cheap in the context of your usual Sandberg) Sandberg Electra VS4...my word it’s bloody amazing, I’d take this over a USA P any day. Superb quality.

1A4E346B-A4A5-4A36-86A2-0C8D08B4D9B8.thumb.jpeg.6a8dbf5228dccec12b519177b57f41af.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Raslee said:

Think I’m finally getting this Sandberg thang...it’s a cheapy at £577 (cheap in the context of your usual Sandberg) Sandberg Electra VS4...my word it’s bloody amazing, I’d take this over a USA P any day. Superb quality.

1A4E346B-A4A5-4A36-86A2-0C8D08B4D9B8.thumb.jpeg.6a8dbf5228dccec12b519177b57f41af.jpeg

Awesome choice - Electra have to be one of the best value budget but non budget basses out there - all assembled and QC in the mother factory in Deutschland.

If I didn’t like a relic so much, i would be all over them - congrats

• Like 1