Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

15 minutes ago, Graham said:

I saw a 3.3Kg five string jazz on the Bass Direct Facebook page this morning, if it was in a different finish I'd have been hard pressed not to get the credit card out.

At £1400 it was far cheaper than I was expecting for a quality bass of that weight

It is the SL line ("super light").  Depending what you're looking for, Thomann have a couple with other finishes: e.g. https://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_california_ii_sl_tt_5_tb_pf.htm

6 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

It is the SL line ("super light").  Depending what you're looking for, Thomann have a couple with other finishes: e.g. https://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_california_ii_sl_tt_5_tb_pf.htm

Fortunately sunburst and black don't do much for me either :D

If there'd been white or red however.....

Hello everyone, nice to see some familiar faces here :)

Anyway, I'm new here, so hi to all of You, hope to have a nice time here !

Greetings from Novi Sad from me and my TM4 II Custom Hardcore Reserve.

Cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Obra
  • Like 9

45 minutes ago, Obra said:

Hello everyone, nice to see some familiar faces here :)

Anyway, I'm new here, so hi to all of You, hope to have a nice time here !

Greetings from Novi Sad from me and my TM4 II Custom Hardcore Reserve.

Cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Hello mate!

Good to have you on here as well

That bass is banging

I've been going round and round trying to think how I could pay for it, and I just  can't justify it.

The only way is if I sold my Lakland, which I don't want to do, even though it's weight is what's  making me want to buy this Sandberg. We're not rational creatures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

I've been going round and round trying to think how I could pay for it, and I just  can't justify it.

The only way is if I sold my Lakland, which I don't want to do, even though it's weight is what's  making me want to buy this Sandberg. We're not rational creatures.

I had to sell a bass that I really loved (a Yamaha BB) to fund mine. It does suck, and I really, really miss the Yamaha. But, it was a neccesary evil. 

The SL's really are very good though. It's a very tight and punchy jazz bass. Balances really nicely with a great neck and sounds great active/passive. Only downside is that I can probably never gig a 5er over 3.2kg again 😂😒

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M@23 said:

I had to sell a bass that I really loved (a Yamaha BB) to fund mine. It does suck, and I really, really miss the Yamaha. But, it was a neccesary evil. 

The SL's really are very good though. It's a very tight and punchy jazz bass. Balances really nicely with a great neck and sounds great active/passive. Only downside is that I can probably never gig a 5er over 3.2kg again 😂😒

Literally the same - I could have written this  😀  Miss my BB, but loving the Sandberg as a gigging bass.

• Like 1

@PJ-Bassist The VMs just work really well for me.. every now and then I have basses in transit or stored with a production so it's nice to have consistency! The new one was ordered to the exact spec of the creme VM4 and they feel pretty much identical. Might delve into other models next year... Classic & Cool have a Forty Eight I rather like! 

• Like 3

Evening chaps.

Has anyone changed out any of the pickups on their sandbergs.  I don't love the oversized poles in the Sandberg pickups in my VS4 and am thinking of changing it for something more traditional.

Any recommendations, the usual suspects would include:

* Seymour Duncan SPB1

* Delano PC4AL

* Nordstrand NP4 Vintage

* Black label V4's (though I cant find anywhere that actually has them).

Also be interested in knowing if anyone has tried some of the boutique English brands

* Bare Knuckle 58 Split Coil P

* Monty's Guitars Retro Wind P

* Aaron Armstrong custom wound

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Opticaleye said:

I replaced the large pole Sandbergs in my VS4 with the amazing EMG Geezer Butler set. Very vintage and authentic P sounding, passive, modelled on Bobby Vega's 64 Fender P pickup. Not especially hot and easy to wire up (non solder includes pots etc).

Great pick ups too

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Go Creamery Pick ups - best out there and british,  they have a ‘58, a ‘65 and a ‘14 but within them you can ask for a specific spec and Jaime will wind accordingly.

I am not sure they have done a black label P pick up yet for sale separately........

Looks like they also do a set of Classic 74 pickups, at £85 they seem like good value.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Evening chaps.

Has anyone changed out any of the pickups on their sandbergs.  I don't love the oversized poles in the Sandberg pickups in my VS4 and am thinking of changing it for something more traditional.

Any recommendations, the usual suspects would include:

* Seymour Duncan SPB1

* Delano PC4AL

* Nordstrand NP4 Vintage

* Black label V4's (though I cant find anywhere that actually has them).

Also be interested in knowing if anyone has tried some of the boutique English brands

* Bare Knuckle 58 Split Coil P

* Monty's Guitars Retro Wind P

* Aaron Armstrong custom wound

Thanks

I put Nordy NP4s in mine.  Much improved the sound to my ears, but this is clearly a very personal thing.

• Thanks 1