Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Nah that is looking and sounding good m, the whole band and not just the bass.

You guitarist is a giant tho. That guitar looks tiny in his hands

Thank you :)

And, yes... he is! :D I should get a Kala bass to play with him 😛

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mcnach said:

A video from last weekend, first gig on the Sandberg... excuse me my looking bored, I was not, but I was struggling due to lack of sleep for several nights and it was after 1am already. In fact the whole band looks a bit stiff compared to our usual, and we were missing one guitar (and sax!)...

Liking that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After trying various strings and not being 100% happy I’ve  just fitted La Bella low tension flats to my sandberg TT ,and they are great, i have to wind the tone back for what I play but the brightness is there if I need it ,and in passive mode it’s sweet, it took a while and a few quid but it was worth it 🙂

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

After trying various strings and not being 100% happy I’ve  just fitted La Bella low tension flats to my sandberg TT ,and they are great, i have to wind the tone back for what I play but the brightness is there if I need it ,and in passive mode it’s sweet, it took a while and a few quid but it was worth it 🙂

A wee sound clip if you can. I like the idea of lower tension without losing the depth altho i do prefer roundwound strings but i could be tempted.

Dave 

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

A wee sound clip if you can. I like the idea of lower tension without losing the depth altho i do prefer roundwound strings but i could be tempted.

Dave 

I’ll try Dave, I haven’t got any means of recording at home the phone doesn’t really sound any good, I’ll try GarageBand 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ll try Dave, I haven’t got any means of recording at home the phone doesn’t really sound any good, I’ll try GarageBand 👍

Not a prob if you don't have the kit. I'll maybe google the La Bella strings see what clips they have.

Is the lower tension quite noticeable and what gauge do you use. ?

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect string. Currently its D'addario nickels or Sandberg stainless on my VM4

Dave

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not a prob if you don't have the kit. I'll maybe google the La Bella strings see what clips they have.

Is the lower tension quite noticeable and what gauge do you use. ?

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect string. Currently its D'addario nickels or Sandberg stainless on my VM4

Dave

They are 042, .056, .075, .100 , i found the tension slightly lower than the la bella deep talking , but certainly not floppy ,they have a similar feel to the stock rounds  it came with ,only smoother 🙂

• Like 2

I've tried the DR strings altho can't remember which ones but they didn't feel much different to the D'addario nickels i was using and didn't last any longer either. Went back to the cheaper D'addario nickels.

Have to say i'm quite liking the Sandberg Stainless. Not as sore on my wee dainty fingers as i thought they might be.

Dave

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I keep meaning to try some Labella flats too. What is the actual catalog model, do you remember?

14 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi mcnach , it’s these ones 🙂

272BFDEE-790D-4718-A467-4AA03D0A1796.jpeg

Thanks! :)

I just find it confusing because I've seen the same "LTF-4A" described as long and medium scale... but if they say LTF-4A that's just one scale length and they've been misdescribed right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

I just find it confusing because I've seen the same "LTF-4A" described as long and medium scale... but if they say LTF-4A that's just one scale length and they've been misdescribed right?

On bassdirect site it looks like they do LTF-4A in various scale lengths, mine are long scale, hope this helps 🙂

E897852A-CE19-4A91-8439-6F6C346CFA7F.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

On bassdirect site it looks like they do LTF-4A in various scale lengths, mine are long scale, hope this helps 🙂

E897852A-CE19-4A91-8439-6F6C346CFA7F.png

Sure i saw on their webpage the length of the actual strings

7d6fb85c199e500559764e12d4fd117c.jpg?v=1570390151

PRICE

$ 45.95 USD

ADD TO CART

OR

TRUSTED ONLINE RETAILERS

Select... SweetwaterStrings And BeyondStrings By MailMusician's FriendTalk Bass    

Select...

STRING TYPE

LTF-4A Low Tension Flexible Flats 42-100LTF-5A Low Tension Flexible Flats, 5-String 42-118LTF-4A-S Low Tension Flexible Flats 42-100, Short Scale

LTF-4A Low Tension Flexible Flats 42-100

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

La Bella Strings is taking a new approach to flat wound bass strings; the result is the LIGHT TENSION FLEXIBLE FLATS series. Using the same techniques that have made the Deep Talkin’ Bass Stainless Steel Flat Wounds the best-selling flat wound set on the market, La Bella has adjusted the construction to create a lighter and more flexible alternative to our classic heavier flats.

The Light Tension Flexible Flats deliver the same classic sound but without the floppy-string effect associated with other light tension flat wound strings. These hand-wound and hand-polished strings are equipped with round cores for flexibility, and narrower ribbon wire to achieve that unrivaled smooth feeling uniquely characteristic to La Bella Strings.

• Stainless Steel Flat Wound
  • Round cores for greater flexibility and narrower ribbon for an unrivaled smooth feeling
  • Light Tension
  • Total Tension in Lbs: 134.90 (1st 36.2, 2nd 34, 3rd 30.5, 4th 34.2)
  • String Gauges: .042, .056, .075, .100
  • Standard Long Scale Set
  • Made in the USA with American Wire
  • Packaged using MAP Technology (Modified Atmosphere Packaging) to prevent tarnishing and ensure freshness

All standard bass sets are LONG scale length. The 1st (G), 2nd (D), 3rd (A) strings are 38” from ball-end to silk/taper. The 4th (E) string is 36 ¾” from ball-end to silk/taper. Only the silk portion of the string should wrap around the tuning post or else the string will break.

Please refer to our BASS GUIDE for assistance in choosing the correct scale set CLICK HERE.

Non-Standard scale sets (Medium, Extra Long) are not available to purchase on www.LaBella.com. Please see drop-down of “Trusted Online Retailers” below the product image to locate one of these sets

• Like 1

So I think I'm developing a Sandberg addiction.

This VS4 arrived today:

20191013_202945.thumb.jpg.89c10141d6d2059db2d82cfe5e91f59b.jpg

As a sibling to my roadworn VT4

20190908_180124.thumb.jpg.4794192c2645f7fe2d267d985c613534.jpg

I love both these basses, super light weight and beautifully balanced.  They sound incredible through the Lil' Stubby.

I did have to move on my series I california VM4 to fund the VS4 but I do much prefer the California II's.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Why do you prefer the 2s?

A few reasons

- I prefer the more compact body

- The II's are significantly lighter and better  balanced than the VM4 was

- The neck feels more comfortable on the II's and the finish seems superior to that on the VM4, more of a satin feel rather than a gloss.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RigorMortens said:

Recently traded this Grand Dark in. We’re getting along just fine 😉

2BA2BFA3-C4F1-497B-9F4D-E635BB1F9C76.jpeg

That BB1025 is awful. You should sell it to me 😂

On 13/10/2019 at 23:22, PJ-Bassist said:

So I think I'm developing a Sandberg addiction.

This VS4 arrived today:

20191013_202945.thumb.jpg.89c10141d6d2059db2d82cfe5e91f59b.jpg

As a sibling to my roadworn VT4

20190908_180124.thumb.jpg.4794192c2645f7fe2d267d985c613534.jpg

I love both these basses, super light weight and beautifully balanced.  They sound incredible through the Lil' Stubby.

I did have to move on my series I california VM4 to fund the VS4 but I do much prefer the California II's.

That VS4 is lovely.

A VS4 is definitely my next bass buy.

• Like 1